Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What are "Drains" in a Laparascopic Revision Surgery?

I'm having SADI-S procedure next week laparoscopically.

I've been advised that I will have "drains" placed. Of course I will ask my doctor what this means, but can any laypeople interpret what this is and why I need it?

I had 2 drains after a Tummy Tuck. Basically there is a tube that is inside you and anything that comes out of the tube goes into a bulb that you empty and keep track of your drainage. The drainage should become less and less over time and then it is removed. Really no pain at removal it just feels weird!

Like Lynda, I also had drains with my Tummy Tuck. They're not as common with weight loss surgery, but the SADI is more extensive than most of the other common surgeries, so...

Surgical drains are common. Their purpose is to remove fluid/drainage that may accumulate under the skin or in the intra-abdominal cavity. They keep swelling and bruising down and can reduce your chance of infection.

The most common type is bulb-type drain called a Jackson-Pratt (JP for short). Here's some reliable information about them https://medlineplus.gov/ency/patientinstructions/000039.htm

Just got my PICO ( a mini-drain) dicontinued after 2 months of a minor surgery that my stupid General Surgeon ( although I do hate so bad- mouthing another female) boogered up- left me with a distended upper arm with a non- healing surgical wound distended with blood clots- my theory? She failed to ligate a teeny blood vessel and it kept drip- drip- dripping under the skin. 1.5 kudney- basins full of clots and tunnelling both directions for 5 cm under the skin surface and raised up like a "breast implant" Sorry for the TMI but that WAS what it most resembled. Surgery was September 24th and after weekly PICO changes I am FREE on November 13th- whew-ee. Frightening that Ms Inept MD. also does Bariatric SURGERY but Praise GOD above , Not Mine!
So drains do perform a purpose, if needed They Are Good but Many Many people escape THEM- if you do emerge from the OR with one they do speed up healing well. Had a Jackson- Pratt with my last open Abdominal- not my Bariatric- except for a little wider scar THERE it was GOOD FOR ME and speeded healing up! So Good Luck, a Smooth SURGERY and may yOu Always heal by" First Intention" healing from the Inside Out like my Last little SURGERY- The Pits- and IT STILL us a little sore there after nearly 2 months. And no sympathy from anybody because it was an ELECTIVE ONE.

I'm having SADI-S procedure next week laparoscopically.
I've been advised that I will have "drains" placed. Of course I will ask my doctor what this means, but can any laypeople interpret what this is and why I need it?

Post surgical drains are used to drain excess serous fluids and blood from the surgical site to prevent large, potentially problematic haematomas and sinuses developing. They are very common and nothing to be concerned about.

Sent from my SM-G935F using BariatricPal mobile app