Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting to know you ...

Would everyone like to get to know each other a little better? Like age, what you do for a living, hobbies, favourite exercise, that kind of thing?

I'm 34, a SAHM, favourite hobby is reading, and favourite exercise is roller blading. Also I'm Canadian but just moved to Arkansas.

I was a SAHM while my kids were growing up. The four of them are now 23 to 28. I've been married 31 years. My husband is a remodeling contractor and I teach math at community college. We have five dogs who keep us busy and entertained. :)

I grew up in Michigan and Indiana until I was 16. My family moved to the Houston area and then I moved to Austin to go to the University of Texas and I've lived in the area ever since -- 34 years. I'd love to move to Colorado but can't get my husband to budge, especially since it would be difficult to move his business. Our oldest daughter lives in Denver, though, so we do get to visit pretty often. Our son just re-enlisted in the Marines and is currently stationed at Camp Pendleton, California. Since he just got back from three years in Japan, we're thrilled to have him so close for awhile. Our twin daughters both got married last spring and live in Austin. In fact, both of them work for my husband.

I am interested in politics (I'm a liberal Democrat:eek:) and classic movies and radio programs, which I listen to when I'm going to sleep and while commuting (on Sirius satellite radio.) I also get hooked on message boards! :)

I'm looking forward to getting to "know" y'all! Thanks, lindata!

Hi, I am a married 46 yrs old female, lived in south Alabama all my life. Two beautful, accomplished daughters.

My husband and I are avid R/V's and boaters, and like to take cruises.

Getting banded was the best decision I ever made, as my weight was interfereing with my life.

ccaldwell@sw.rr.com

Connie

I really like this idea!

I'm 21 and live in Nova Scotia, Canada. I'm in my 3rd year of nursing and currently work at a nursing home when I am not swamped with school work. Nursing is a huge reason for wanting to get my weight under control now. We learn so much about health and healthy practices and when I graduate I want to be a healthy example for my patients. It's hard to talk to someone about turning their health around when they look at you and can clearly see that you haven't done anything for yourself. I recently moved back home with my parents until I graduate which is the only reason I could pay for this surgery. I don't have any children but I do have a pug =) He's my baby for now. I have the rest of my life ahead of me and I'm so excited to know for sure that I will be a healthier, happier me.

I'm Wendy. I am 47 years old and I have been married for almost 25 years to Charlie. I was born and raised in Kentucky. I graduated from Western Kentucky University with a degree in public relations. I currently work at a hotel one day a week and teach preschool two days. My plans are to be back in school in January to get my license to teach.

Charlie and I have two boys. Wes who is 21 and a Junior in college. Ian is 8 and is in the second grade. We also have a fur daughter, Honey!! She is spoiled rotten and definitely has us wrapped around her little paw. LOL

I am 29 years old (I still can't believe it!) and have been married to the love of my life for the past 4 years. He works as a software engineer and has been the most supportive and inspirational person in my life. I left my much abhorred job in August to concentrate on getting into grad school for literature (which I have let fall by the wayside) and also getting healthy. We live on Long Island in New York with our two adorable and entertaining kitties. I'm not completely sold on the idea of spawning at this point in my life, much to the chagrin of my mother and mother-in-law. I enjoy photography, the ocean, the moon and stars, animals, crafting, reading, music, and watching football in my underwear with my husband on Sundays. If all works out, my hot-hunk-of-man-meat and I will be moving to Hawaii some time next year. I hope that I am fit enough by then so I can finally learn how to surf!

I am 46 years old and have been married for 28 years to my best friend. He is a lifer in the Air National Guard and we have two children, daughter who is 27 and we lost our son Adam in 1988 to Cancer he was 4 1/2. We have 2 grandsons Adam 4 and Cole 1, they are the loves of our lives.

I wanted this surgery so I would be around to watch them grow up and so that I could actually play with them and have fun.

We have two dogs Kodi (Gordon Setter) Bear (Yorkie) and we lost our other gordon setter in September Amber. She is greatly missed.

I am a insurance biller for a Medical group of 200 physicians and 80 offices in 2 states. I love to read, listen to country, go to NASCAR races and do cross stitch and cook.My greatest accomplishment was to raise a child that I am very proud of and who is a wonderful mother.

I love my new life so far, and am growing very fond of my band. I have lost 2 pant sizes since my preop diet Nov 4th.

I love reading about everyone!

I'm 40 and am married to my very supportive husband and have a sweet sweet 3 year old. I live in Oregon and I'm a photographer.

My life has been far too limited from being overweight and I'm just tired of it. As I get older I'm getting more aches and pains that I know are aggravated by being overweight. I can lose weight, but I can never keep it off and I can never keep going long enough to reach my goal. I hope and I hope and I HOPE that the band will change this for me.

Since I have my own business the amount of $ that I can make for my family depends on the amount of energy that I have and lately I have none. I need it back!!

Nice to meet everyone.

Well...my name is Traci. I am 38 yrs old married to the most wonderful man I know. We just celebrated our 3rd anniversary this past Oct. He has been my rock in my fight to have this surgery.

I have two boys - 20 & 17, one dog, and two cats.

My highest weight was 425lbs..but lost over 100 lbs by exercising daily and cutting carbs. However, I did such damage to my knees that I could no longer exercise the same and the weight began to creep back on. I gained 50 of it back and that was when I said enough was enough and basically fought to get banded.

So far...physically I haven't been able to eat the way I used to, however, my brain still thinks about food more than it should. I am praying for strength and also frequent these boards for support.

Thank you all for sharing your stories....you're what keeps the weak in me motivated. :kiss2:

Hey everyone!! My name is Cheryl and I'm 21 years old. I was banded on Nov 19th at Westchester Medical Center in New York. I am set to be married in June 08 and I couldn't be more excited to see how awesome I will look in my dress that I haven't gotten yet, lol. I have to wait till the time gets closer so I can pick something out that will compliment my new found body!!

I live with my fiancé, and adorable kitten, Cammy. He is a mechanic who I met at automotive school where I learned to be a mechanic too. I also have my Manicuring license to do nails, so go figure that, lol. I work full time plus some for my family's transportation company.

I decided to get banded after I saw my aunt get banded almost 2 years ago and have amazing results. I hit a point in my life where I was so unhappy with who I had become physically that I knew I had to change. I want to get married, have babies, and be able to enjoy the rest of my life healthfully. This is really a great opportunity, and I will not let myself pass this by.

It was nice to meet everyone, and the best of luck to all of you!!!

"Nothing tastes as good as thin feels"

Wow, I love all your bios! I guess I could add a few things to mine - it seems so sparse.

I grew up in Saskatchewan. I've been married 11 years and met my husband working as a waitress in a country bar!! (I was working as a waitress in a cocktail bar, that much is true - cue the music). We decided we didn't want to spawn (as Tish so succinctly put it! hahaha - had to laugh at that - that's exactly how WE felt), then discovered I WAS pregnant. I was a flight instructor but I quit when I was pregnant. My son is 3.5 years and I just finished painting a mural on his wall today of the planets - yes, that's what I did instead of eating. We just moved down to Arkansas this spring. We have a Eurasier dog named Caspar. Along with reading, I also love to travel. When we moved we had to get rid of our tent trailer, which we all loved and were sad to see go. I got banded because I didn't want to diet my way up to 500 pounds - which I knew would happen in very short order.

I'd love to see some more bios. Everyone's is so interesting!

I love reading about everybody! Thanks for sharing, you guys, and thanks for starting the thread, Linda!

I'm Stephanie (27) married to Richard (42) for 4 years come February. I love him so much - he is my best friend. I think he's the only person on the planet that I can stand to spend so much time around. LOL We don't have any kids between us (unexplained infertility and 1 miscarriage), but he has 5 children that live with their mother and come out for visits.

We live in the western part of Colorado about an hour east of Grand Junction. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it here. I'm a transplant. Originally from North Salt Lake, UT. I don't ever want to go back to UT. I am HOOKED on Colorado. And after 2 1/2 years of living in the western half of this state, the fitness crazies are contagious. There are so many things I plan to do this next year as becomes possible - snowboarding, kayaking, biking, and running.

We have a German Shepherd mix named Moegli (like the boy on the Jungle Book), two cats named Annabelle and Willie, two mice named Kinkajou and Daisy (haha...any fans of Meerkat Manor?), and two hermit crabs named Tarzan and France. It's a regular zoo. We used to have 3 chickens, but had to give them up when we moved because we don't have a yard anymore. :wacko: I vow to get chickens when I have a yard again! LOL

Oh...I work as a night security officer. I patrol properties several times per night, do lock-ups, let people in that are locked out, respond to alarms (burglar, fire and environmental). Not a bad job. Probably the easiest one I've had. I like it because I get to decide what to do while I'm working, as long as it all gets done. And I get some good down time to do my own thing like be on the internet. LOL Like now. :)

Hi everyone!

My name is Holly. I'm a single parent (divorced my x when I was pregnant), my son is 19 and doing very well in college. He's in his second year and is maintaining a 3 point something gpa. (I am the proud mama) We live in Minnesota. Besides my son there is a English Springer - Cocoa, a tabby cat - Buddy, and two birds in my household - all female.

I love going to concerts and traveling. I even travel to concerts. lol

Despite being morbidly obese, I earned a Black Belt (1st degree) in Karate two years ago and I am hoping to test for second degree in the near future. I am assuming the testing process will be a bit easier once I start losing all these extra pounds. :wacko:

I have a BA degree in Speech Communications with a Theatre Emphasis, from the University of Wisconsin but find myself working full time in a bar for a charity. I sell Pulltabs. Similar to scratch offs and a legal form of gambling in Minnesota to benefit charities. I do this so that I am able to take time off now and then to do freelance work in the film and tv industry. Not easy work to get or do when you are a 'large' woman. :cry

I'm hoping to do more of this type of work as I get slimmer and heathier. In the meantime the work I do is easy and gives me all sorts of time to read, watch tv/movies and socialize - all while on the clock! :clap2:

My oldest and dearest friend got banded last year. She was going to do bypass until I explained the band to her (I started researching it about 4 or 5 years ago), she talked with her doctor about it and decided to go for it instead. She is doing terrific (down over 125 pounds) and has no regrets about her decision to band. She claims that she's been my guinea pig. lol

I feel like I'm writing a novel so I'll stop now. Oh, I'm getting banded in two days (Nov 27)! I'm nervous but having my friend to talk to and reading good posts on here are both a big help in keeping my nerves under control.

Thanks!

Linda, thanks again for starting these wonderful threads. I agree this is a great idea. You people are so reassuring and motivating for me.

I'm 49 years old. Married. I have 2 grown children and 2 grandsons. I live in Memphis, TN, so how close are you in Arkansas, Linda?

I'm a nurse practitioner, worked in Internal Medicine and now in Peds.

I love to travel, read, study history and new age/eastern religion. I would love to travel to Nova Scotia. Who is/was from Nova Scotia, Lizzie??? I can't remember and I'm not savvy enough to go back and find the source while writing this, so sorry if I am incorrect.

Hi everyone, My real name is "Georgia Ann", and thank God I wasn't born in Idaho!

I have two grown children, my daughter, (the baby) just turned 20 yesterday. I have a son (22) also.

I've been married 20 years, (to husband #3, rough on cars and husbands) but we've been separated and living in the same house for a year now. We've grown apart, but stay together because of financial woes and my daughter still lives with us. I know I could leave, but I can't stand the idea that if I do, she would not have a place to live. I really would rather be divorced though, but there are too many circumstances that prevent it right now. I do long though for someone who would be my partner and support. That is something I'm lacking.

I work for a labor union, have been on my job for 10 years. I love to sew and make beautiful bridesmaid dresses and prom dresses. I also am good at costumes. I have a dog, jake (part jack russell and part maybe bulldog or pit bull or something). He sleeps with me every night and is the guy in my life right now. I also have a cat that we've had for 11 years.

My surgery is Tuesday morning at 5:30 a.m. My mom is going with me. I am 47 and have made some drastic changes lately, like quitting smoking after 30+ years, and now will be giving up diet coke and gorging myself with comfort eating. Hence my overweight problem that I've been fighting with for at least 16-17 years now.

So, I look forward to getting to know you all better. I enjoy the stories from everyone and it feels better knowing that there are others with the same fears and goals that I have.

Glad to be a part of the November '07 crew.