Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Sleeve & Food Addiction

Anyone dealing with trying to cope with their food addiction and recovering from gastric sleeve surgery? I know this surgery should be used as a tool and the whole food addiction should go out the window. Sometimes I just think how long it's been since I had a cookie or chips or something like that. Then my head goes crazy. I haven't gotten my appetite back so it's not like I'm starving and just wanna binge on food for that reason. I probably sound crazy to most people. I guess it's just been hard preparing meals for my family and i just sit down with 1/4 cup of tuna. Ok so this is probably more of a vent. Halloween candy everywhere and I'm just venting lol This is supposed to be a new lifestyle!

Same here it’s hard

I had my sleeve surgery 9/9/19. I’m starving all the time. They say it’s my mind and not actual hunger. My question is HOW DO YOU TELL IF I’M ACTUALLY HUNGRY or just more mind games?!?!

I wish someone would share their post op meal plan that actually worked and lessened the hunger of the mind.

7 hours ago, Jenna_87 said:

Anyone dealing with trying to cope with their food addiction and recovering from gastric sleeve surgery? I know this surgery should be used as a tool and the whole food addiction should go out the window. Sometimes I just think how long it's been since I had a cookie or chips or something like that. Then my head goes crazy. I haven't gotten my appetite back so it's not like I'm starving and just wanna binge on food for that reason. I probably sound crazy to most people. I guess it's just been hard preparing meals for my family and i just sit down with 1/4 cup of tuna. Ok so this is probably more of a vent. Halloween candy everywhere and I'm just venting lol This is supposed to be a new lifestyle!

Hi Jenna, I’m sorry you are having a rough time. I know it can be frustrating. My experience after surgery was different, still a struggle, but a different one than you are experiencing. I felt like hell, and had no desire to eat at all.

A few questions: are you working with a nutritionist/dietician?

Have you had counseling to help you through this transition? Or better yet, are you in counseling now?

This is a HUGE change, especially if you are used to dealing with stress by eating. You have to set up alternate ways of coping. It can be a helluva process.

I am working with a dietitian through my surgeon but not counseling. I was thinking about looking into that. Thank you for your advice! 😊

5 hours ago, mirirose said:

I had my sleeve surgery 9/9/19. I’m starving all the time. They say it’s my mind and not actual hunger. My question is HOW DO YOU TELL IF I’M ACTUALLY HUNGRY or just more mind games?!?!

I actually haven’t felt hunger yet. I’m sure it will happen soon but yeah that’s a good question because our minds play such a big role in this. The mind games!!

I'm not hungry, but food looks so good. I will admit that I have taken a bite of pizza, chewed it up, and spit it in the trash. Just have to try and stay disciplined

On 10/24/2019 at 8:34 PM, mirirose said:

If its a particular craving and only that will stop it, its head hunger. When hunger crosses my mind i check to see if its time, if not I drink some Water and wait my 30 minutes, it usually would subside. Good luck 👍.

https://primesurgicare.com/head-hunger-vs-belly-hunger-difference/

Omg yessss!! My surgery was 10/22/19, and I am already having major head hunger and obsessive thoughts surrounding food after being on a liquid diet for 3 weeks. Restriction will def do that!! Good luck with everything.

Soo i wont sugar coat my process after getting the sleeve on may 31st 2019. Ive regreted this surgery for months now more so in the beginning but when it comes down too it would i have lost 65 pounds on my own that answer is A hell NO this was the only way to lose weight. I still have 40more pounds to lose but ill get there one or another. I have so much regret only because im addicted to food not being able to eat what i want when i want or how much i want is bull and i just wanted to stuff my face. Lol i found my love for food was being full and beable to stuff my face with a handful or popcorn not just having to eat 1 piece at a time. Ugh so frustrating! Lol. I have felt like a happiness was taken away the day i had surgery but i have to remind myself would i go back to the over weight fat ugly depressed person the answer is no i do love being able to fit in smaller clothes and i actually want to be in pictures now i feel cute and sexy and cant wait to lose more... for me the difference between head hunger and actually starving was if i told myself i could have a half of a bottle of a Protein Drink do i want it the answer was Nope i hate Protein Drinks but when i was starving it was better than nothing kinda feeling. When i want chips it was just head hunger and the emotions i got eatting handfuls of chips to get the salty crunchy taste. Im 6months post op and have chips 2 or 3 times a week i just have a couple when my son has them and helps me feel as if i eat normally. To tell myself no never again i just feel deprived and over indulge. :)

i do find certain days are better than others. Some days i do eat more as i feel soo hungry as if im starving and other days i could careless about food and have to force myself to eat. Its funny how different all of our bodies are after weight loss surgery.

On 25. Oktober 2019 at 5:35 AM, mirirose said:

I wish someone would share their post op meal plan that actually worked and lessened the hunger of the mind.

Different treatment teams have different plans for their patients. If that plan might be less than ideal... well, nobody really knows what works best. Most likely it's different for different people, depending on many factors.

What works for one person might not work for the other person. In the end everyone has to find the foods that satisfy their physical and mental needs. Being on liquids is challenging as one misses the chewing. So it might already get better with introducing solids a few more days down the road.

As for mind hunger specifically: up to a certain degree everyone has it and needs to learn how to deal with it sufficiently enough to reach a more desirable weight.