Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I’m about 12 days out from gastric bypass. I had no problem getting down fluids during the all liquid phase. Now I am on soft/puréed, which is a little bit harder. But my concern is that I do get hunger pangs. And also that I never feel full? I’m really scared to overdo it and be in pain. So I have 1/2 a scrambled egg for Breakfast and then measure out 1/2 cup of food for other meals. Did anyone else feel like it’s hard to notice the restriction on soft foods? I’m hoping it is easier to feel on solid foods, when I get to that point.

Make sure it is all Protein. A full egg is 7 grams of protein and only one ounce in volume. Log your food so that you are getting enough protein. I also ate refried Beans at that stage. It's high in protein. Greek yogurt too. Add unflavored Protein Powder to all your meals including eggs before you cook them. It will help keep hunger away.

15 minutes ago, AnnieD78 said:

I’m about 12 days out from gastric bypass. I had no problem getting down fluids during the all liquid phase. Now I am on soft/puréed, which is a little bit harder. But my concern is that I do get hunger pangs. And also that I never feel full? I’m really scared to overdo it and be in pain. So I have 1/2 a scrambled egg for Breakfast and then measure out 1/2 cup of food for other meals. Did anyone else feel like it’s hard to notice the restriction on soft foods? I’m hoping it is easier to feel on solid foods, when I get to that point.

Please follow your surgeon's and RD's post op progression diet complete with quantities.

1/2 cup at 12 days is way too much food and can damage your tool, or cause complications.

Each doc does it differently. But at 12 days post op, I was on 1-2oz of food by volume. That is maximum of 1/8-1/4 cup by volume MAXIMUM at each meal. Do not exceed your rules hon.

You are early out. And the nerves were cut. So your pouch won't/might not signal satiety right now. I think I was 3 months out before I felt cues from my pouch that I was actually full. Until then, I just followed their volume guidelines explicitly.

Edited by FluffyChix

On 08/29/2019 at 15:26, FluffyChix said:

Please follow your surgeon's and RD's post op progression diet complete with quantities.

1/2 cup at 12 days is way too much food and can damage your tool, or cause complications.

Each doc does it differently. But at 12 days post op, I was on 1-2oz of food by volume. That is maximum of 1/8-1/4 cup by volume MAXIMUM at each meal. Do not exceed your rules hon.

You are early out. And the nerves were cut. So your pouch won't/might not signal satiety right now. I think I was 3 months out before I felt cues from my pouch that I was actually full. Until then, I just followed their volume guidelines explicitly.

Interestingly the only guideline is to have 3-4 oz of Protein for Breakfast, 3-4 oz of protein for lunch and 3-4 oz of protein for dinner. My 1/2 cup (4 oz weighed) portions do meet their requirements. Thanks for sharing your experience regarding satiety. That’s super helpful to know.

At 12 days? I don't think so. Take a pic of it and post it for us.

At 12 days many of us were still on pure liquids. Liquids you might be able to do 3-4oz of a Protein Drink at a meal...maybe, maybe not. But solids it's 1/8-1/4 cup max volume. That is about 1oz of Protein by weight.

One ounce of protein by weight (think ground turkey) occupies about 3/16 cup (almost 1/4cup) of volume!

I'm 18 months and my forever diet is supposed to only be 1 cup by volume. In that volume, I can fit about 3-4oz of protein by weight = about 7g per ounce of weight.

I'm 6 months out and can barely eat 2 oz of dense Protein and I get a very full feeling. I don't understand why your Dr would advance you to 6-8 weeks at 2 weeks. Personally I don't feel getting enough protein in without shakes/high protein yogurt is possible.

Take it slow at your stage. It will be best to allow for the most weight loss.

Good luck!

Edited by gabybab

7 minutes ago, AnnieD78 said:

Actually today is day 15, I had it on Aug 14. My surgeon advanced me to phase 3 when I saw him last Friday bc I was doing so well with phase 2.

image-0.00095367431640625.jpg

Wow! Thanks for posting this. Docs are SOOOO different!

They are referencing 3-4oz by weight = about 21g of Protein. But the crazy thing is that 3-4oz may occupy as much as 1/2c-1cup of volume!!! That's just nutzo and asking to stretch your tool, hon! Especially in the early days where you don't have a good grasp on satiety and a lot of what you are eating will be sliderish food.

You can probably handle 1/2 cup of yogurt. But 1/2cup of cottage cheese might give you some issue. Right? You might do just fine with pureed cream of chicken Soup, but 1/2 cup of refried Beans will land you in pain before you realize you're full. Right?

Hmmm. Dunno how to help here... :(

On 08/29/2019 at 16:09, gabybab said:

I'm 6 months out and can barely eat 2 oz of dense Protein and I get a very full feeling. I don't understand why your Dr would advance you to 6-8 weeks at 2 weeks. Personally I don't feel getting enough Protein in without shakes/high protein yogurt is possible.

Take it slow at your stage. It will be best to allow for the most weight loss.

Good luck!

I think you misread.... phase 3 starts 2 weeks after surgery. But it lasts for 6-8 weeks.

1 minute ago, AnnieD78 said:

I think you misread.... phase 3 starts 2 weeks after surgery. But it lasts for 6-8 weeks.

Can you take a pic and post some of their examples of appropriate foods for your stage III? One doc's stage 3 might be another doc's stage 4 and so on...thanks!

On 08/29/2019 at 16:15, FluffyChix said:

Can you take a pic and post some of their examples of appropriate foods for your stage III? One doc's stage 3 might be another doc's stage 4 and so on...thanks!

Sure!

image-0.00202655792236328.jpg

image-0.00202655792236328.jpg

Your satiety/fullness feeling will improve with denser foods. So like eating canned tuna will give you more satiety than yogurt. Cottage cheese will give you more satiety than either yogurt or Protein Drinks. eggs depending on how you eat them will give you a lot more satiety than other Proteins even. The wetter a food is, the more of a slider it becomes. So if you have trouble with meat sticking, one solution is "meat lube" to eat each bite with a low cal low carb gravy. And it goes down easier--cuz it's wet.

And by the time you work up to the final stage of lean dense proteins, then you will or should have satiety in place after your appropriate size meal.

On 08/29/2019 at 16:18, FluffyChix said:

Your satiety/fullness feeling will improve with denser foods. So like eating canned tuna will give you more satiety than yogurt. Cottage cheese will give you more satiety than either yogurt or Protein Drinks. eggs depending on how you eat them will give you a lot more satiety than other Proteins even. The wetter a food is, the more of a slider it becomes. So if you have trouble with meat sticking, one solution is "meat lube" to eat each bite with a low cal low carb gravy. And it goes down easier--cuz it's wet.

And by the time you work up to the final stage of lean dense Proteins, then you will or should have satiety in place after your appropriate size meal.

Right now I’m sticking to purées. And I’m still having a Protein Shake for breakfast. So that is probably why I don’t really feel the restriction.

Thanks, so he wants you to actively puree your food? Or are you allowed to chew it to a pureed consistency?

I just made foil pangasius (like tilapia but flakier and moister) which is perfect soft food stage. And it started out as a 5oz raw filet. It cooked down to 3oz by weight. And I flaked it and it fit exactly into 1/2 cup measuring cup. So for my food log, I put in 5oz of raw pangasius. I ate 5oz prepared from raw. Protein count on that is 19g.

I would think that 1/2c volume would present an issue for you and leave with no extra room for any bite of veg. Are you not allowed to have 3 meals and 1-2 Snacks? Cuz a better plan would look like 5-6 mini meals of a 1/4 cup each, to get your protein in. And even then, you might need to supplement with 1 shake per day to give you 30g of protein advantage.

Sure!image-0.00202655792236328.thumb.jpg.1b45d64af073fed6b7e5e309388b29fa.jpg
image-0.00202655792236328.thumb.jpg.35f0b1388d1e6e06596c1181d18633a7.jpg
AnnieD, this is my meal plan as well, EXACTLY that!! I do get full very quickly with dense Proteins like chicken and fish and have to finish my meals hours later. That plan has no Snacks before or after. I only do Protein Shakes for breakfast when I am on the go to work and it takes me the entire drive to work. lunch and dinner is either plant proteins such as lentils or refried Beans or fish or chicken.
I get roughly 400 to 500 calories a day. No grazing, no snacks.
Break down of macros is typically 70g to 80 grams Protein Net carbs about 10, Fat 15 to 20, Sugar typically less than 10.
I definitely feel the restriction.

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app