Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No, I didn’t even attempt to because I didn’t have room after my Protein. Now I eat a small amount.

Salads were what I craved but I'm over a year out and still struggle with them, unfortunately. They're just so bulky. If you do decide to try to eat some, take very small bites, chew like heck, and give yourself plenty of time in between bites. And make sure it's a salad with some Protein in it.

raw vegetables can be pretty rough on some people's stomachs. I think I was about six months out before I ate salad. I eat them a lot now - but some raw veggies (like carrots) still irritate my stomach at times.

2 hours ago, newlady1 said:

I'm in my 5th week and craving salad. Doctor has released me to normal diet but i know he meant protein/meat. Has anyone eaten salad in 5th week?

Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app

I am 6 + months out and just being able to eat salad if it is chewed very well. BUT..... what I did early on was to take greens and put them in the blender with some Water. I strained out the green juice and added it to everything - my smoothies, water bottle, Soups, etc. I think it helped me stop craving the veggies that I couldn't have until week 8.

I'm almost 5 months out but I started eating salads right after I got to start eating normal food (so like 4-5 weeks out). I had no problems whatsoever. I still eat them occasionally.

The only problem with salads (for me) is that they don't have much Protein in them and they're also really voluminous so you can't eat much.

If you're unsure and really want a salad I'd say try a little bit and give yourself 15-20 minutes to see if anything happens.

Also, beware of calories in dressings!

Good luck and congratulations!! :D

I am 6 + months out and just being able to eat salad if it is chewed very well. BUT..... what I did early on was to take greens and put them in the blender with some Water. I strained out the green juice and added it to everything - my smoothies, water bottle, Soups, etc. I think it helped me stop craving the veggies that I couldn't have until week 8.
Thanks everybody. I appreciate your input.

15 hours ago, newlady1 said:

I'm in my 5th week and craving salad. Doctor has released me to normal diet but i know he meant protein/meat. Has anyone eaten salad in 5th week?

Salad and spinach don't sit well with me.

I think I started eating salad at like 4-5 months. Mostly because I had Protein issues at first and was working on that. I can eat tons of salad and not get full. Not like broccoli and carrots, but leafy greens are very easy for me to eat. I almost always order a salad when I go out to eat. They're like the one thing that sits well. Leafy greens with some cherry tomatoes, sunflower seeds, some kind of protein (chicken/salmon), cheese, hardboiled egg. Stuff like that.

Outlier Alert!!!!

I started salads at 4 weeks. I started with baby spinach and purple onion and feta and Walden Farms Italian Dressing. :) I still eat at least 1 salad or green Soup a day. I love them. And I can eat more salad than other food cuz it all has so much Water in it, and is slightly sliderish for me. I always add 2-3oz of Protein to it. Last night I had foil wrapped basa, chopped salad (iceberg, spinach, cucumber, radish, onion, avocado, grape Tomato, low fat feta, Walden Farms Italian), and zucchini noodles with light Classico Alfredo. :) There were no survivors.

I'm 17 months out.

My advice is to go slowly. Protein FIRST! And keep your salads lean and mean! Do not go for a bunch of high calorie toppings like dressings, full fat cheese, croutons, bacon, etc. Figure out a way to keep them VERY light. Most of my salads are WELL under 100cals including dressing. It's very easy to have a 700 calorie salad if you don't control those variables.

I do the Perdue short cut chicken strips and wrap a piece of Raw Spinach around it and use fat free dressing as a dip. Helped my cravings
Yes that sounds good. Matter of fact I'm trying chicken lettuce wraps tonight. I'll see how that goes.