Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone ever advanced post op food phase ealier than you were supposed to?

Ok, I must confess.... I had surgery on 11/12 and have been following my doctors orders pretty well (until now). My post op diet was supposed to be Clear Liquids the day of surgery, then the next day move straight to full liquids and pureed foods--for THREE weeks! Well, I have been doing that (mostly) but for the past couple of days was really tired of all the soupy stuff so I guess I've sort of moved on to the more mushy stage (I even ate an entire lemon earlier today). I know my doctor would not agree to this and I'm not sure if it would be for a fear of slippage or healing or what. I guess I need to hear from you experienced folks, do you think I've messed anything up? I find myself "testing" the band to see exactly what I can tolerate. I'm not craving like cheeseburgers or anything but can't wait for the day that I can have chicken salad with a couple of wheat crackers or a garden salad, or even a scrambled egg with a whole wheat slice of toast. Is this bad? Have I lost the momentum? I think I"m loosing my mind. Please give me your input! :faint:

I was just banded 11/09. I have been really successful so far, but today I did lose it a little. I ate a handful of SunChips. Each one I chewed 30 times before swallowing. It was complete mush by the time I swallowed it. I waited to see if something would happen and it didn't. I REALLY to stick with it and not cheat because I don't want to check my stomach or cause a slippage of the band that I know is healing, but not necessarily healed yet.

Send up prayers that we can stay on this diet right now because I think the long term health of our band depends on it.

, next day move straight to full liquids and pureed foods--for THREE weeks!

Wow, that is a good meal plan. Mine was liquids for 2 WEEKS, then pureed for 2 weeks then soft foods for a week then solids.

Do your best to follow your dr's plan. You will benefit from it in the end.

I actually stayed on liquids longer with a few mushies in between, just to make sure everything healed

Everyone who has had the surgery or mostly everyone wants to move forward before they are suppose to. I know I did, but I didn't because the doctor stressed how important this stage was to the healing of the stomach and possibility of the stomach coming thru the band. Moving from clears to a full liquid a day or too early may not do too much. But you have to be careful you don't fall into bad habits to test the band. I was on clear liquids for a week, full liquids for a week and then pureed foods. It was hard and I wanted to eat other things just so I can chew something. The one thing I did that could be considered cheating is that I didn't puree in a blender. I followed the meal plan, portions and foods on it, but I didn't puree, I chewed extremely well to almost gone. The first two weeks are the hardest, once you move up it gets easier. You didn't do all this to hurt yourself or the band. The first six weeks are all about the healing so it is important that you follow your doctors instructions. Don't worry about what he is going to say, worry about what could go wrong. A little here and there adds up to bad habits and weight gain. You got to break them now so when you get the fill, they are gone. Plus you said your doc has you on pureed, there are so many things you can have during that stage. He actually has you on pureed very early according to most docs. But, you can have pureed chicken salad, tuna salad and egg salad. I wasn't able to have those until week 3 but your doc has you on them sooner. I know it is hard, you aren't alone, but please stick with the plan. You may be lucky and nothing happens or you may not. I don't think at this point you have done harm, but if you continue it can. Plus, as the weeks go on, you will find yourself a lot more hungry than you are today. So you have to learn self-control now. I wish you luck and hope it goes easier for you. It is a hard process to get use to, but you will. Just listen and trust your doctor, they wouldn't have you do this if it was for no reason. Good Luck.

im 6 days away from starting solids, i saw my surgeon 3 days ago and he said i can start swallowing my Vitamin tablet whole...if thats the case i have started introducing soft solids into my diet,. chew really well before i swallow though....

You're going to catch hell from some bandsters on here if they see this thread. You'll get lectures about how important the healing stage is, and how if your stomach is digesting food, which allegedly causes movement, the band will not gel into place as it's supposed to. And if the band (and the resulting scar tissue) doesn't adhere in a groove around your stomach as it's supposed to, you'll end up with a slipped band down the road. I'm going catch hell for saying this, but I think that's a bunch of hooey. If there was any evidence that this was true, then there would be a standardize post-op diet that everyone would have to follow. Each doctor has his own post-op diet, so they are obviously prescribing it based on what they, as individuals, think is best, not scientific evidence. My doc requires 48 hours of liquids and then soft food for 4 weeks. This is extremely liberal compared to other doctors' post-op diets. If weeks of liquids after surgery was really necessary to prevent slippage, then my doc should have loads of slipped bands to deal with. I remember asking him about his percentage of slips during the seminar, and it was so negligible that I dismissed it.

The day after my surgery, I was extremely nauseous and just the smell of a Protein drink made me heave. When I called my doctor's office about the nausea (and diarrhea, too), I was instructed to eat dry toast to settle my stomach. I later discussed on this board that I had moved on to food earlier than anticipated, and one bandster in particular tore into me, told me my band was going to slip, and admonished me for "doing what I wanted." So the next day I called my doctor's office and asked about the importance of the liquid and soft food stages in promoting healing and proper band adhesion. The response I received was: No, that's not why we prescribe liquids and soft foods. It's to ease you into living with the band and preventing food from getting stuck and causing pain when you're already in discomfort from the surgery itself.

Let the flaming begin.

I'm not going to flame you, but here's a copied and pasted bit of text direct from the Allergan/Inamed booklet:

Eating and drinking after the operation

After your surgery, you will need a new diet. You should discuss this in

detail with your surgeon and/or dietitian. They can help you learn and get

used to the changes in lifestyle and eating habits you need to make.

Note: Your surgeon may give you specific instructions just for you. The

following information is meant to be an overview. Be sure you know the

instructions your doctor wants you to follow.

It is very important to follow the eating and drinking instructions right

from the start after the operation. That’s because you must allow the new

stomach structure to heal completely and in the right position. It may take

a month or more for this to happen. It is important, especially in the early

weeks, not to stretch the small stomach pouch above the band.

The first few days after the operation

Right after the operation, you can have an occasional sip of Water or

suck on an ice cube. You shouldn’t drink more than this. The day after

the operation, you can take a little more Fluid. But you should take only

a small amount at a time. Besides Water, you should also choose liquids

that have an adequate number of calories. To prevent nausea and

vomiting, do not drink too much.

The first one to four weeks

These drinks and very soft foods are recommended for the first four

weeks after the operation:

• clear broth or Soup (with no vegetables or meat and not creamy)

• low-fat yogurt

• milk (preferably skim)

Jello

fruit juice or pureed soft fruit.< /em>

As time goes on, you will slowly move to solid food based on your

surgeon’s and/or dietitian’s advice.

In the first four weeks, you will be able to eat foods that may not be

allowed in your diet later. That’s because they may contain too many

calories. In the first four to six weeks, though, you need to let your

stomach adjust to the LAP-BAND System. That is more important than it

is to lose weight. In general, you should follow the advice of your

dietitian about these foods.

Hi bparris!

I can't emphasize enough how important it is for you to follow your own doctor's instructions. Most of us who participate in this forum are not medical professionals nor should we act like we are--so always take our advice with a huge grain of salt. All we can do is share the knowledge our doctors shared with us (for what that is worth) and our own experiences since being banded. It is extremely irresponsible for anyone to actively encourage a fellow bandster to deviate from their prescribed medical program IMHO.

If it helps you at all, here is a direct quote from my doctor's pre-op education packet (writing in all caps reflects all caps statements written in the packet--it's not me "yelling" or anything):

At Home After Discharge from Hospital:

Continue liquid diet until seen in the office at 10-14 days. DO NOT CHEAT! HYDRATION IS PRIORITY!!

YOU MUST STAY ON YOUR liquid diet UNTIL YOU SEE YOUR DOCTOR! YOUR INTERNAL SURGICAL AREAS MUST BE ALLOWED TO HEAL.

DO NOT LET THE EATING DISORDER OVERRIDE YOUR EDUCATION.

FAILURE TO FOLLOW THE PRESCRIBED DIET PROGRESSION STAGES COULD BE LIFE THREATENING!

If you are truly committed to changing your lifestyle and reaching a healthy weight, make every effort possible to stick with the eating plan progression that was prescribed for you. The doctor did not prescribe it because he/she had nothing better to do that day. It is based on current research and on what has been the most successful for his/her patients over the period of time this surgeon has been performing lapband surgeries. If you follow the directions you were given, you are more likely to be a raging success and the weight will start falling off of you!

As you progress into mushies at the appropriate time, try to focus on eating healthy foods starting with lean Proteins (not junk food like fatty cheeseburgers) and then soft vegetables (my Dr. suggests green veggies and wants carbs consumed last only if there's room left). It's time to start shifting your mindset.

Remember that the biggest battle in our war against fat is conquering the poor eating habits we have developed over the years. If I'm getting somewhere, anyone can!

Stick to your program--you CAN do this! :)

Thanks guys for ALL of your input! I am going to do my best to follow the plan as prescribed. I really didn't go through all this to mess it up. I guess I'm just afraid I've already made it slip since I'm not feeling as much restriction this week as I did the first week. I keep telling myself that the logical reason is the swelling has gone down but I'm still worried and I guess I will be until I get the first fill under x=ray and can see for myself and hear the doctor say that it is in place. My first fill won't be until 6 weeks out. I'm afraid that will put it right near Christmas and my doctor may post pone it until January if his office is closed. Oh well, I'll just have to endure.

Again, thanks for all your input! I love being able to come here and get help from all of you that have gone through or are going through the same things!

Before I give my story, a little disclaimer...I am in NO WAY suggesting disregarding your surgeon's prescribed diet!

OK...I was having a tough time of it too...2 weeks liquid, 2 weeks puree, 2 weeks soft, then try it as tolerated....

At my post op appt, I leveled with my doc...I figure, he's a bariatric surgeon, my struggles shouldn't shock him and if they do, I wanted to be the first to enlighten him :) Well, he wasn't surprised OR disgusted by my struggles...He said to me "Well, you're probably ready at this point to slowly advance your diet as you feel comfortable, BUT DO NOT CHALLENGE THE BAND OR POUCH! The first 6 weeks after surgery, the band is MOST VULNERABLE to slippage, so take it easy."

He trusted me to use good judegement, and I did. HOWEVER, I discussed it with him first. I told him how I was stuggling and that I was starving and that I did have a little yogurt and it was OK...I was HONEST with him :D

I guess I am telling you all of this to say this: Call your surgeon and be honest with him/her about your struggles...you may be pleasantly surprised, you may not, but either way, you'll become more focused because you talked it out with a professional :)

my instructions are a little different. I have Clear liquids for day 1 and day 2 after surgery. Day 3-6, I have full liquids which include yogurt (no seeds or fruit) and strained Tomato or vegetable juice and cream of wheat or oatmeal or grits. Then pureed diet for one week nd then soft diet for two weeks, then start working in solid foods.

I also was told to go on all liquids for 10-14 days before surgery, which was really bad for the first couple of days, but then I seemed to be getting used to it. I miss meat more than anything. The first night I started my liquids, I dreamed about steak, fried chicken and ham all in the same night! After that, it did get easier. I think the liquids beforehand will make the liquids afterwards easier.

You know I often wonder if doctors also don't change their diets for individual patients? At least the surgeons who have enough medical history on you to make changes.

One of the reasons why different doctors have different diets MAY BE(I'd love for someone to ask their doctor about this to see what he/she's reply is)

Because different people heal at different speeds. Someone with several co morbities like diabetes for example which is known for slowing down the healing process, so there fore the doctor may say a longer period of liquids or mushies.

Now I am NOT a doctor and I think no matter what anyone says you should follow your doctors instructions. But since diets varry so much from one doc to the next I wonder if a persons healing factor might be part of it. Or if they just figure it out based on experience on past patients.

Now with that all said I gotta ask Why?

Why did you put yourself through the pain and suffering for an operation to jepordize it? We have all done the diet yo yo in the past and we can manage to stay on said diets sometimes for months on end.

And many do well as long as they stay on certain diets. Its when you stop dieting the weight comes back.

YOU CAN Follow the doctors diet.

Sure it gets tiresome but you gotta keep reminding yourself its only for a while. Compared to the rest of your life you will live with the band.

I agree with what musicalmomma said

I guess I am telling you all of this to say this: Call your surgeon and be honest with him/her about your struggles...you may be pleasantly surprised, you may not, but either way, you'll become more focused because you talked it out with a professional wink.gif

I had my banding done at a "center of excellence" and they have done hundreds without complications or slippage. I was started on pureed food before I left the hospital (creamed wheat and pureed cotttage cheese) I was told I could eat baby food and anything without lumps for 2 weeks, then soft foods as tolerated and advance to other things as tolerated. I still think everone should follow their own Dr guidelines but unless different surgeons have all got their own way of doing things I don't think it will really hurt much if you eat mushies when you are on liquids. Maybe they just want you to lose faster. Sharon

I'm going catch hell for saying this, but I think that's a bunch of hooey.

Let the flaming begin.

;) :faint: :)

no flames, just astonishment.

totally disagree and based on some behaviours of new bandsters, i wouldnt be surprised that down the road we will be seeing a major increase in slips and erosion.

I've been banded over 3 weeks now and I feel guilty because at times I may be slightly over eating, ie, having 3/4 cup of mashed food instead of 1/2... I'm amazed at what people are doing at stages even earlier than me. I certainly wouldn't want to end up back in hospital doing this all over again... think before you put it in your mouth!