Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone ever advanced post op food phase ealier than you were supposed to?

I am four weeks Post Op and on soft foods since 11-15. It is so amazing how every surgeon/Nutritionist etc is different.

I was on Clear liquids, vanilla yogurt and vanilla pudding for 8 days and then graduated to pureed foods for two weeks! I also had my surgery at a center of excellence.

I have had no complications with the surgery or during the post op. I was also told no coffee ever again, and come to find out half of the people I have talked to started drinking their coffee again at about one week post op! :rolleyes

I am thinking that the first two weeks post op are critical as far as diet, however, after that they just want to make sure you do not gain weight back before your first fill, and introduce the "bad" food again. So they encourage you to stay on pureed, and soft foods as long as possible before that first fill.

This just confirms that every surgeon and nutritionist can be different, and I have no problem venting or calling them to ask questions!

Hi Summer87,

No Coffee!! I think that would be the end of me! LOL....

I was given coffee in hospital a couple of hours after my op -

has anyone said why no coffee, I'm curious now.

I wasn't allowed coffee in the Fluid stage but was told it was okay once I was on mushies (only have one skim latte a day). I thought no coffee because it dehydrates you. I'm not a big coffee drinker so it hasn't been a problem for me. It's more a social thing... we have a cafe in our building at work and I meet up with some people for a coffee in our morning break.

Thanks Sades,

I have to admit I drink no where near as much coffee as I

used to now, only 2 - 3 a day. Before band I was up to as

many as 10, but have always used low fat milk.

Anyway, thanks for answering my question. Cheers

Thanks Sades,

I have to admit I drink no where near as much coffee as I

used to now, only 2 - 3 a day. Before band I was up to as

many as 10, but have always used low fat milk.

Anyway, thanks for answering my question. Cheers

No problem Amy. I'm still learning as I go. Good luck with everything. :lol:

Ok, I must confess.... I had surgery on 11/12 and have been following my doctors orders pretty well (until now). My post op diet was supposed to be Clear Liquids the day of surgery, then the next day move straight to full liquids and pureed foods--for THREE weeks! Well, I have been doing that (mostly) but for the past couple of days was really tired of all the soupy stuff so I guess I've sort of moved on to the more mushy stage (I even ate an entire lemon earlier today). I know my doctor would not agree to this and I'm not sure if it would be for a fear of slippage or healing or what. I guess I need to hear from you experienced folks, do you think I've messed anything up? I find myself "testing" the band to see exactly what I can tolerate. I'm not craving like cheeseburgers or anything but can't wait for the day that I can have chicken salad with a couple of wheat crackers or a garden salad, or even a scrambled egg with a whole wheat slice of toast. Is this bad? Have I lost the momentum? I think I"m loosing my mind. Please give me your input! :faint:

"How Important Is The Post-Op Diet?"

It is critical. Most doctors prescribe a post-op diet of weeks of clear fluids, followed by weeks of full fluids followed by weeks of mushy food. My doctor said 2 weeks clear Fluid, 2 weeks full fluids and 2 weeks of mushy food. The time following the operation is for your stomach to heal. The Lap-Band needs to form a groove on your stomach. That groove makes the Lap-Band resistent to slipping. Eating food during the post-op period before you are supposed to be eating food could cause the Lap-Band to slip, or increase the risk of a future slippage. Food causes the stomach muscle to "Work" to digest the food. The "Work" could cause the band to not seat properly on the stomach. Weight loss is NOT to be expected during the recovery time after the operation. If you lose weight, wonderful, but don't expect it. The time between the operation and getting an EFFECTIVE fill that causes restriction is called "Bandster Hell" for a good reason. Without an EFFECTIVE fill, our hunger is just as strong, but the band does not work to help us. Getting an EFFECTIVE fill sometimes takes multiple fills, it is not unusual for it to take 3-5 or even MORE fills to obtain restriction. Because the band has to seat into the groove to hold it's position, and every time the band is filled the fill adds extra pressure on the band, most doctors choose to let time pass between fills. Most doctors will not fill a band before 4 weeks after the operation, 6 weeks is common and 8-12 weeks of healing time is not unheard of.

It is amazing how different the regimes seem to be from Dr to Dr. I just got back from my initial visit to the surgeon yesterday, and his instructions are much more liberal than those relayed by most people here. (BTW, he is one of the top gastric surgeons in the state, has been doing these operations for more than 8 years and has done more than 1300 of them.) My surgery is scheduled for 12th December.

First of all, re the pre-op diet. He said that the larger you are to begin with, the more important it is to do the pre-op, as the enlarged liver makes the operation more difficult. At my size (125kg/275lb) and BMI (47), it is highly recommended but not essential - I should do the best I can for the next 2 weeks but not over stress about it.

Re the post-op diet, this is from the printed handout he gave me:

"Stay on fluids until you start to feel hungry. Water, juices, yoghurt, thin Soup.

After a few days, these fluids will be less satisfying and you will want somethign more filling. Thicker Soups, jellies.< /p>

Make an appointment to see your GP at 5 days after surgery for removal of staples. After that time, you may need more substantial food to ease the hunger. Try very soft mushy scrambled eggs, mashed vegetables initially.

Gradually over the first 4 weeks after surgery, the hunger will increase such that by about a month when you come back to start having Fluid placed in the band, you will be eating an amount of food more than you had expected. Fish, chicken, Pasta.

Then, at one month, we start the process of placing Fluid in the band, every month for three months, then less frequently for the next few months.

REMEMBER

In the first month, gradually increase the food and ensure you eat slowly. Avoid a situation of food getting stuck as vomiting, especially early, may tear some sutures around the band and increase the risk of SLIPPAGE and further surgery."

My guess is that the reason some surgeons are much more conservative in their instructions is that they are worried that their patients will abuse the band and end up vomiting from pushing too hard, too fast. I think the "ideal" times depend a lot on individuals and the main goal is to guidelines so as to AVOID VOMITING. Anyhoo, I plan to follow my doctor's instructions and let my body guide me, making sure not to push too far and over do anything...

I was banded on 11/12, so I'm still on a fairly soft diet, although my Dr. allows fish, chicken, meat patties, eggs and Beans for the third week. I can eat fish okay, (I buy sushi grade tuna and eat small bites of it raw, which means it's very soft), also tofu goes down well. I haven't tried chicken, but did try a scrambled egg, and couldn't eat it. It caused a lot of pain. There are a lot of contradictions on this forum, but one of the main things I am really confused about is how many people mention "stretching the pouch" at this stage. Since the band is not filled yet, there should be no restriction, and hence, no pouch. There is, however, still a measure of inflammation, which seems to be going away pretty quickly for me. I am eating foods that go down most easily, and trying to stay away from anything high in calories. I have found that oatmeal is ok, but rice in any form simply won't work. I can eat almost any creamy-type Soup, and had a piece of toast one day. I admit that I am hungry all the time, and haven't felt satisfied even once since the surgery. I'm hoping that when I have my first fill, I will begin to get that feeling of "fullness" and not simply having to stop when it becomes painful. I don't think you are alone at all in craving something more than what your dr. suggested. But, as far as I can tell from what I've read, the important thing is to not cause the band to become inflamed any more than it is already, and to try and let the band adhere. Giving your stomach a rest seems to be the best way to accomplish that. So, for as much as it's possible, it's best to just try and stick to the plan for now. If you have to, seek a second opinion. There are a lot of fill docs out there, and I'm sure you'll find one you can work with, if need be.

Sometimes you just need an expert to talk to, and this may be one of those times. Why not give your dr. a call and tell him/her that you are just too hungry? You never know what advice they might give you.

Best of luck!

Kristine

Texas

My post-op diet was 2 weeks of liquids, 2 weeks of mushy and then soft solids working up to regular food as tolerated. I was struggling with hunger after 7 days and spoke with my nurse and nutritionist. They advised that if I was hungry then I could move to the mushy phase after 10 days post-op. She said that if I was hungry then my stomach/band were healing and I could move on to the next phase. Hope this helps!

please forgive me and as I am a noob.

I know that eating solid food bf your doctor recommended is a no-no. I was under the impression from my doctor that this was bc you could vomit and therefore cause a slip. I did not know that basic digestion of solid food could also cause the band to slip. I do understand that the stomach has to heal but I have never heard of this ridge thing before.

Can someone clarify and perhaps include some references I can read?

please forgive me and as I am a noob.

I know that eating solid food bf your doctor recommended is a no-no. I was under the impression from my doctor that this was bc you could vomit and therefore cause a slip. I did not know that basic digestion of solid food could also cause the band to slip. I do understand that the stomach has to heal but I have never heard of this ridge thing before.

Can someone clarify and perhaps include some references I can read?

"It is very important to follow the eating

and drinking instructions right from the

start after the operation. That’s because

you must allow the new stomach

structure to heal completely and in the

right position. It may take a month or

more for this to happen. It is important,

especially in the early weeks, not to

stretch the small stomach pouch above

the band. Vomiting can do this, so it is

important not to vomit. Vomiting can

increase the chance of stomach tissue

slipping up through the band."

http://www.allerganandinamed.com/pdf/health/94829-12_LB_Patient_Book.pdf

It's on page 10.

"It is very important to follow the eating

and drinking instructions right from the

start after the operation. That’s because

you must allow the new stomach

structure to heal completely and in the

right position. It may take a month or

more for this to happen. It is important,

especially in the early weeks, not to

stretch the small stomach pouch above

the band. Vomiting can do this, so it is

important not to vomit. Vomiting can

increase the chance of stomach tissue

slipping up through the band."

http://www.allerganandinamed.com/pdf/health/94829-12_LB_Patient_Book.pdf

It's on page 10.

many thanks! :)

My doctor told me that in earlier years they did the fills earlier and people had erosion. That waiting caused a callous to form from the band rubbing on the stomach and the scar tissue helped so there wouldn't be erosion.

This was Dr. S. Scott Davis of Emory bariatrics in Atlanta, GA