Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you have BMI 36 or below and had surgery??

Has anyone have a BMI of 35-36? What made you all decide to go with the surgery rather then to just do it on your own? I'm at BMI of 36 and cw 203. I have already lost 47 lbs. I just having a hard time loosing more. I just have to think if its worth it to go with the surgery or keep trying on my own. Which is why I wanted to ask for those that did have the surgery at a low BMI. How much have you lost since surgery? Was it worth it to you to go ahead with surgery? My surgeon told me he wants me on their program pre-op diet and to maintain the weight I am at for 1 to 2 months. He will do the surgery, if I do decide to go ahead with it. The psychiatrist said that she is fine with me going ahead with the surgery. She also mentioned I should fix or face what emotional issues I have so that I don't gain the weight back in the future.

I would love to hear about your journey. I want to make a good educated decision and not just go for it without all the details and research!

1 hour ago, Shaynazz said:

Has anyone have a BMI of 35-36? What made you all decide to go with the surgery rather then to just do it on your own? I'm at BMI of 36 and cw 203. I have already lost 47 lbs. I just having a hard time loosing more. I just have to think if its worth it to go with the surgery or keep trying on my own. Which is why I wanted to ask for those that did have the surgery at a low BMI. How much have you lost since surgery? Was it worth it to you to go ahead with surgery? My surgeon told me he wants me on their program pre-op diet and to maintain the weight I am at for 1 to 2 months. He will do the surgery, if I do decide to go ahead with it. The psychiatrist said that she is fine with me going ahead with the surgery. She also mentioned I should fix or face what emotional issues I have so that I don't gain the weight back in the future.

I would love to hear about your journey. I want to make a good educated decision and not just go for it without all the details and research!

Good morning - I am at the hospital now waiting for 5:30am check-in (boyfriend picked me up super early). I lost weight on my own in 2012 - 2016 (lowest weight 132 pounds). I struggled to maintain this weight due to being clueless about food choices (protein vs Carbs/fat) & 2017 I had a slip/fall accident (weigh at time 160 pounds) and this totally took me over board through the nextt 2.5 years to 215 pounds. Going through therapy, steroid shots and daily back pain due to weight gain, my Primary care doctor put in referral for me to start WLS program in March and I'm having surgery today!!! My weight as of Saturday was 197 - will see this morning what my final weight will be day of surgery! I feel this program will assist you in making better food choices long term through working with a nutritionist & your WLS team, something I didn't have before. I would definitely do it if I were you and follow your plan to the T. Listen to the veterans in this group which have tons of advice and experience with this (most thankful to them). Best of luck to you and follow me to see my journey!!!! Hope to post something later after surgery if I'm feeling up to it. Surgery at 730am!!!

Edited by HipHopDiva

When I started my journey I had a BMI of 41. Through the 6 month medically supervised weight loss required by my insurance I lost 15 pounds, then another 14 on the preop liquid diet. So the day of surgery I weighed 202 pounds at 5'4" putting my BMI at 34.6 that day.

I am a year out from my surgery having lost 77 pounds since that day and my BMI is currently at 21.5. My weight loss shocked me and I can’t promise that you’ll have the same results. I figured at 5’4” that my ideal body weight is 120 and I had 82 pounds of excess body weight at surgery. The sleeve is supposed to get off 60-70% of excess body fat and mine nearly did 95% of the work. So I’m an above average loser and not typical I don’t think. I definitely dont have any regrets. I also dont have any complications. I closely follow my surgeon's eating program and keep to a low sugar diet.

Edited by KCgirl061

When I first discussed the surgery with my PCP, I was struggling to stay around 34 BMI. By the time I had my surgery I was up to 37. I have PCOS and have been struggling with my weigh for about 15 years. My weight went up and down 35 pounds throughout the years. I had my surgery on June 11th and am currently 2 1/2 months post op. I have lost about 40 pounds. This surgery has helped so much and I am looking forward to getting the rest of the weight off. It isn't an easy road, we all have challenges with adjusting to the new way of eating... new way of living BUT it is well worth it in my opinion.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Good luck with surgery hiphopdiva!!!! Wishing you very speedy recovery!! Didn't it feel Like this day won't come
Cheers

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

I cannot answer this question as i started at a much higher BMI.. but i did want to wish you luck in your decision. Make sure you are 100% informed of the lifestyle changes that come with surgery. I do not regret my surgery one bit, and as much as i thought i was informed, there were still things to learn along the way... Good Luck to you on your journey.

8 hours ago, Shaynazz said:

I had my surgery on May 1st with a BMI of 34. I am 5’3” and was 193 lbs on day of surgery. I am 142 lbs today. So, I’ve lost 51 lbs in almost 4 months. It’s not easy. It’s only a tool and you have to use it wisely.

My current pre-op BMI is 36.4. I am approved for surgery on Wed 9/4. I have been trying hard to lose weight for the past 7 years. I can lose temporarily, but I can't keep it off. I am miserable. I have tried just about everything. I have tachycardia. I get tachycardic anytime I try to work out which leads to shortness of breath. My heart is starting to enlarge from working so hard. Not bad yet... but the trend has begun. I need to exercise more, but I can't due to the tachycardia/SOB. Vicious circle there. I have severe sleep apnea and have been on my cpap machine for about 5 months now. I have high cholesterol that is controlled by medication. I have high triglycerides which I can't seem to get under control. I have just enough GERD and sleep apnea that I bought an adjustable bed. Reading this, you would think I was at least in my 70's... but I am 47. I am not ready to get prematurely "old". I have done all my research and I know there are other non-evasive options, but I feel those other options are not working for me. I can't wait to have surgery next week and start down the path of healing and healthier body, healthier diet, and am looking forward to being able to do more to exercise again!

I have a BMI of 36. I have not had surgery yet but I am getting the sleeve done in September. I lost 48 pounds on my own. I had many doubts but I had to take in account want I wanted for my future. I have 3 kids that I want to be around for them and possible future grandchildren. The longer you are over weight the more stress your body is in. I don't want life long troubles with diabetes or heart disease. Someone told me to think of the surgery as one tool added to your other methods of lossing weight. Even if you have the surgery your still putting in all the work needed to loose the weight. You still choose what you eat and you still have to exercise. I have not had a life long struggle with weight. I had some health issues that brought on some weight. In 2016 I had a complete hysterectomy. I went to 135lbs. Then I went to 165lbs when my daughter was admitted to the hospital for 3 months. I got down to 150 lbs until April 2018 when I broke my ankle. I went up to 238 lbs. I am now down to 193 lbs. I have injures, I am not as young so my metabolism is not what it use to be. I need an assist. I choose surgery. My primary doctor did not know much about weight loss surgery when I asked for a referral. I saw him today for my 3 month A1C. He said he started looking into the surgeries and agreed with me that the sleeve was a good option due to my diabetes, sleep apnea, and high cholesterol. My bariatric doctor told me people with a BMI as low as 30, in other countries are getting weight loss surgery ( mostly gastric bypass) to treat diabetes. My bariatric doctor asked me if I had cancer would I get chemotherapy or radiation? I said yes. I have decided on getting the VGS. This surgery reduces the size of my stomach, removes the part of the stomach that controls hunger hormones and cravings among other things.
On the emotional relationship for food, I believe we all have an emotional relationship with food on some degree. If you want to be well educated and get the best result out of surgery I would suggest seeing a therapist. Even if you don't have surgery see a therapist. You need to know what triggers you to eat and learn alternate and positive coping techniques. You can read any story anyone shares on this sight and the biggest reason they choose surgery is to be at a healthier weight regardless of what their BMI number started at. I hope this helps you. I find out my surgery date this Friday. So my date will be some time this September.

My current pre-op BMI is 36.4. I am approved for surgery on Wed 9/4. I have been trying hard to lose weight for the past 7 years. I can lose temporarily, but I can't keep it off. I am miserable. I have tried just about everything. I have tachycardia. I get tachycardic anytime I try to work out which leads to shortness of breath. My heart is starting to enlarge from working so hard. Not bad yet... but the trend has begun. I need to exercise more, but I can't due to the tachycardia/SOB. Vicious circle there. I have severe sleep apnea and have been on my cpap machine for about 5 months now. I have high cholesterol that is controlled by medication. I have high triglycerides which I can't seem to get under control. I have just enough GERD and sleep apnea that I bought an adjustable bed. Reading this, you would think I was at least in my 70's... but I am 47. I am not ready to get prematurely "old". I have done all my research and I know there are other non-evasive options, but I feel those other options are not working for me. I can't wait to have surgery next week and start down the path of healing and healthier body, healthier diet, and am looking forward to being able to do more to exercise again!
The same for me. 47 years old I don't want to continue having health issues that are common for eldery people. I'm getting my surgery in September ... if you don't mind let me know how it goes. I find out my date on Friday.

Good morning - I am at the hospital now waiting for 5:30am check-in (boyfriend picked me up super early). I lost weight on my own in 2012 - 2016 (lowest weight 132 pounds). I struggled to maintain this weight due to being clueless about food choices (protein vs Carbs/fat) & 2017 I had a slip/fall accident (weigh at time 160 pounds) and this totally took me over board through the nextt 2.5 years to 215 pounds. Going through therapy, steroid shots and daily back pain due to weight gain, my Primary care doctor put in referral for me to start WLS program in March and I'm having surgery today!!! My weight as of Saturday was 197 - will see this morning what my final weight will be day of surgery! I feel this program will assist you in making better food choices long term through working with a nutritionist & your WLS team, something I didn't have before. I would definitely do it if I were you and follow your plan to the T. Listen to the veterans in this group which have tons of advice and experience with this (most thankful to them). Best of luck to you and follow me to see my journey!!!! Hope to post something later after surgery if I'm feeling up to it. Surgery at 730am!!!
Hope your feeling good after your surgery.

1 hour ago, nikkilee72 said:

The same for me. 47 years old I don't want to continue having health issues that are common for eldery people. I'm getting my surgery in September ... if you don't mind let me know how it goes. I find out my date on Friday.

Will do! I am so anxious to get this done! Three more work days, then I am off for the 3 day weekend and took Tuesday off since they might move me to Tuesday. I would rather know I have it off just in case and not stress about calling off last minute. Good luck to you~

On 8/27/2019 at 9:34 AM, Deedee12 said:

Good luck with surgery hiphopdiva!!!! Wishing you very speedy recovery!! Didn't it feel Like this day won't come
Cheers

Good morning lady! Surgery day was horrible because they found & repaired a hernia. The doctor had to fill me with more air to fix the problem. I was in soooo much pain in recovery. The gas was everywhere and I felt restricted. The nurses were great and gave me all the needed meds to get through it. I walked the halls twice at hospital & frlt so much better! How re you feeling??

20 minutes ago, HipHopDiva said:

Good morning lady! Surgery day was horrible because they found & repaired a hernia. The doctor had to fill me with more air to fix the problem. I was in soooo much pain in recovery. The gas was everywhere and I felt restricted. The nurses were great and gave me all the needed meds to get through it. I walked the halls twice at hospital & frlt so much better! How re you feeling??

I had a hiatal hernia repair at the same time as well. The gas pain was hell after surgery.

I had a BMI if 35. My brother had recently had the surgery, and had great success. My parents offered to PAY FOR MY SURGERY, if I would be interested. I did not and would not qualify through my insurance and my insurance doesn’t cover Bariatric surgery. My first appt. was in May. Because I was self pay, I didn’t have to jump through a ton of hoops. I met with a psychologist and had my pre-op and that was it. My surgery was July 8. I’ve lost 50 pounds and don’t regret it at all. It hasn’t been easy, not at all, but it’s been totally worth it.