Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello all,

This is, as my username states, a random rant. I had my surgery on 3/22. I have stuck to the plan thus far: around 90g of Protein and 100 oz. of Water per day, at least an hour of walking which is also supplemented with weigh training every other day. I only eat eggs, grilled chicken and fish. Nothing fried, no rice, no potatoes, no bread, no soda. I've been pretty proud of my diet. And yet I am stalled. I went through the dreaded 3 week stall in the beginning and thought it was over but now I am at 4 months and have been bouncing the same few pounds since June. I have tried everything to break it: increasing calories, lowering calories (I average around 600 or so per day), increasing exercise, decreasing exercise, changing the routine, and now I am on the third day of the Protein Shake diet and no results. I'm not really expecting any. I have lost around 40 pounds so far and I started at 212. I spoke with my surgeon who told me to "enjoy it while it lasts". Not really helpful. He also told me "when's the last time you lost 40 pounds?" to which I replied "when's the last time I had 85% of my stomach removed?" It just doesn't seem realistic that I should be so restricted and yet my body is already in maintenance mode. Yes, embrace the stall and all that but I'm losing hope. This is just a rant because I have to get this off my chest but any help given is greatly appreciated.

Edited by random-rants

I feel you, I'm only 12 days out and I've stalled for 4 days... so frustrating. Trying not to think about it. Not only am i having about 400/500 calories from Protein Drinks, but i have diarrhea about 20 times a day and yet the numbers remain the same. Urgh.

Good morning Ladies, my surgery date is August 27th but if I may suggest from my tons of research, I would definitely let go of the weight training. Walking is Ok but weight training is building muscles and that will hinder weight lose. Keep us posted love.

You started out with a really low BMI for a WLS patient. I don't know how tall you are, but I'm guessing you're starting to close in on your goal weight. I didn't hit that until much later (because I started out at over 300 lbs), but I can tell you the last 15-20 lbs are a BEAR to get off. It took FOREVER. I know this isn't particularly helpful, but I just wanted to let you know that I know where you're coming from and yes, it's really frustrating. I just stayed the course and it eventually.....S-L-O-W-L-Y....came off, but like I said it took forever, and I wasn't sure I was ever going to get there. Even now, at a normal BMI, it takes me forever to take off even five pounds. That took like a week when I was at 300+. I can now empathize with those skinny people who used to complain about how hard it is to lose weight when they only had like five pounds to lose. I used to roll my eyes when I heard that. No more...

I had an 8 week stall at 3 months out - I never had that 3-week stall everyone talks about in the beginning. But yeah, it was terrible for those 2 months. But then it picked up again. Now that I am closer to goal weight, it is dripping off much much slower. Just had another 2 week stall, actually. I definitely echo catwoman's comment.

13 hours ago, random-rants said:

Hello all,

This is, as my username states, a random rant. I had my surgery on 3/22. I have stuck to the plan thus far: around 90g of Protein and 100 oz. of Water per day, at least an hour of walking which is also supplemented with weigh training every other day. I only eat eggs, grilled chicken and fish. Nothing fried, no rice, no potatoes, no bread, no soda. I've been pretty proud of my diet. And yet I am stalled. I went through the dreaded 3 week stall in the beginning and thought it was over but now I am at 4 months and have been bouncing the same few pounds since June. I have tried everything to break it: increasing calories, lowering calories (I average around 600 or so per day), increasing exercise, decreasing exercise, changing the routine, and now I am on the third day of the Protein Shake diet and no results. I'm not really expecting any. I have lost around 40 pounds so far and I started at 212. I spoke with my surgeon who told me to "enjoy it while it lasts". Not really helpful. He also told me "when's the last time you lost 40 pounds?" to which I replied "when's the last time I had 85% of my stomach removed?" It just doesn't seem realistic that I should be so restricted and yet my body is already in maintenance mode. Yes, embrace the stall and all that but I'm losing hope. This is just a rant because I have to get this off my chest but any help given is greatly appreciated.

Hard to embrace the stall when you are the one experiencing it. Seeing other people’s success just made me bitter *smile* Its frustrating but don’t lose hope.

Be proud. Know you are doing the right things. Breaking a stall is different for each of us. Some of us mix up food and exercise. For others its simply waiting it out. I agree with @catwoman7. The last pounds at a lower BMI come off painfully slow. Your body may be adjusting because you have less fat to burn.

You are doing amazing. Cheering you on. I hope the stall breaks soon.

9 hours ago, HipHopDiva said:

Good morning Ladies, my surgery date is August 27th but if I may suggest from my tons of research, I would definitely let go of the weight training. Walking is Ok but weight training is building muscles and that will hinder weight lose. Keep us posted love.

Welcome to the group and congrats on your surgery date. Enjoy your research phase. It’s exciting taking in all the information.

Breaking a stall is a bit different . What works for one person does not work for all. Surgeons instructions are all different. There are so many plans and approaches to working your bariatric program.

Here is an old link on breaking stalls. (Stalls don’t happen to everyone but, be prepared to experience one)

https://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/351046-embrace-the-stall/

On 8/5/2019 at 11:58 PM, random-rants said:

I had my surgery on 3/22. I have stuck to the plan thus far: around 90g of Protein and 100 oz. of Water per day, at least an hour of walking which is also supplemented with weigh training every other day. I only eat eggs, grilled chicken and fish. Nothing fried, no rice, no potatoes, no bread, no soda.

You are a model citizen and it sounds like your body is being stubborn. Much more strict than I have been. If you have been exercising for 3 months including walking and weight training your body composition is changing substantially. Take measurements and if you can get a bodyfat % measurement.

I hope you have pictures along the way.

On 8/5/2019 at 10:58 PM, random-rants said:

Hello all,

You’re not done yet!

If you’re anything like me, you’ll probably go in fits and spurts for a while. Then every now and then you’ll weigh in and a few pounds will drop all at once. Meanwhile, measure because you’re likely losing inches, too.

My journey to 150 was quick but from 150 to 130 took months. Then all of a sudden I was 115! Like....woah! How did that happen?! Thank you VERY MUCH!

If you’re working the plan, the plan will work. It just gets weird every now and then...and slow sometimes. You can get stuck for weeks. Don’t sweat it. Keep doing the work.

BTW, I’m 15 months out and maintaining a 3 pound window by tracking everything I put in my body with my LoseIt app. I weigh every single day and make sure I get my Protein in. It’s so easy now. Just continuing habits I laid down early on! 😁

Edited by Screwballski