Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Strange musings on my perception of my weight loss

So, from everything I read/heard before surgery, it would take my brain a while to catch up to my weight loss and I would still see myself as super heavy for a while. I seem to be the exact opposite - As I've lost, I've felt like I'm really small, then as I'm in a new size for awhile, I look at myself and realize I'm just not. So, I feel/think I look thin when I first get into a new size, then later feel/think I look fat. Not really ranting, it is just interesting how my perception of myself has been very different than I had been told it would be.

Body dysmorphia.

It's real. ((hugs))

One of the things that helped me and Mr. F. hates is my "Am I bigger or smaller than her?" game. He HATES it. But it is helping me see myself at my real size. I pick someone out who I think is WAY smaller than me and who is someone I perceive to have a perfect size/shape. Then I ask him, "Bigger or smaller." And he has to answer honestly. Then I spend a couple minutes scoping her out to try to memorize that look and I try to "feel" that shape. Does that make any sense? I'm ALWAYS surprised when he says, "Smaller." Always.

24 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

Body dysmorphia.

It's real. ((hugs))

One of the things that helped me and Mr. F. hates is my "Am I bigger or smaller than her?" game. He HATES it. But it is helping me see myself at my real size. I pick someone out who I think is WAY smaller than me and who is someone I perceive to have a perfect size/shape. Then I ask him, "Bigger or smaller." And he has to answer honestly. Then I spend a couple minutes scoping her out to try to memorize that look and I try to "feel" that shape. Does that make any sense? I'm ALWAYS surprised when he says, "Smaller." Always.

Oh wow Fluffy, Mr. Sue hates that game too... lol I make him play. I need perspective like that as well.

When I was 232 or bigger, I did not think of myself as that obese unless I saw a picture myself - I even came home and threw that outfit in the trash because I looked like $h!t in it from a picture. And now I have an even harder time seeing myself smaller - almost 'normal'. It's so weird.

12 minutes ago, Sosewsue61 said:

Oh wow Fluffy, Mr. Sue hates that game too... lol I make him play. I need perspective like that as well.

When I was 232 or bigger, I did not think of myself as that obese unless I saw a picture myself - I even came home and threw that outfit in the trash because I looked like $h!t in it from a picture. And now I have an even harder time seeing myself smaller - almost 'normal'. It's so weird.

Gosh girl!!! Doesn't it bite? And I don't even give him "lovely parting gifts for playing." LOL! I just wonder how we are so successful effing our minds up? LOL!!! Give Mr. Sue a hug from Mr. F. LOL. ((hugs)) Hugs to you dear friend! I wish I could wave a magic wand.

I kinda think we need love goggles for ourselves and maybe that would be the remedy? But dunno. *le sigh*

5 hours ago, FluffyChix said:

Body dysmorphia.

It's real. ((hugs))

That seems like a fun game. Wonder if I can get Mr. KC to play it....

Ha! Fair warning! They H-A-T-E it lol!!! Unless booze is involved for them—which is major buzzkill for us!

I make my hubs play that game too. I have him go through our acquaintances who are plus size and ask him to compare. He hates it.

Sent from my SM-G960W using BariatricPal mobile app

7 hours ago, FluffyChix said:

"Am I bigger or smaller than her?" game.

So funny. Seems like more play of us than not! You should commercialize it into an actual board game....or even better, an app with in-app purchases for body part-specific photographic comparisons...("are my boobs bigger?", "is my tummy flatter?", etc.)