Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had VGS 6/11/18 and had my gallbladder removed 4/6/19. My gallbladder was shooting stones into my common duct which caused jaundice and liver enzymes to go sky high. My liver enzymes are starting to go down, but are still high. The Doctor said it can take 2 to 3 months to return to normal and I have a follow up scheduled. I currently feel better than I have in years, it turns out from the biopsy that my gallbladder issues were both chronic and acute (I have had slightly elevated liver enzymes since 2015, I quit drinking when I found out, but it did not change my labs in subsequent years). I didn’t believe I was drinking excessively, but my Doctor said more than one drink was excessive.

After Gallbladder surgery I had to start all over again at the gym. I am currently doing resistance and conditioning Tuesday and Thursday and just conditioning on Saturday. I also do a ton of yard work, mowing, hauling downed trees and trying to trim and kill vines so no more trees fall down. I am up to 12lb dumbbell curls LOL, l feel really good and only now realize how exhausted I was before. I have not lost anymore weight since my gallbladder surgery. My weight fluctuates about 5lbs up and down which I am fine with since I am in normal BMI, but my visceral fat is high 5% fatty liver according to biopsy).

My main concern is I wake up around 2:00am super hungry despite eating at least 1200cal per day (sometimes a lot more). I eat a snack and go back to bed. I still have high blood pressure, so I am on low sodium. I don’t eat processed food. Organic fruits, vegetables, nuts, sprouted no sodium bread, and Beans. Occasionally I also have chicken, shrimp, and eggs. Protein Water and a scoop of organic plant based protein in my morning cold brew coffee. Surprisingly, I don’t really crave other foods, but will sometimes have 3 small hass avocado’s per day. I don’t go overboard on the nuts and seeds, I generally add a teaspoon or two with pumpkin purée and frozen blueberries/fruit. I went organic to try and reduce the chemicals my liver has to process, but it is probably pointless when I am still spraying round up on my gravel driveway. 😂

I have tried eating more in the evening, but this has resulted in throwing up or being extremely uncomfortable. I know I am burning a lot of calories and probably eating to much. I don’t really follow any particular diet. One doc says low carb, one says low fat, all say low sodium and no cheese (I do actually follow this one), also low glycemic because I am pre-diabetic. If I followed each one I guess I would eat air.

Has anyone else experienced this and found a solution?

I can’t eat Protein Bars because if I purchase them, I will eat them all....

I used to keep Cookies on my nightstand and eat them in the middle of the night before I had the surgery. But of course I don't do that anymore now and I haven't felt hungry at 2 am. It might help if you eat more Protein during the day to fill you up so you won't be hungry at night.

I will up the Protein today and see what happens.

Make your bedtime snack a Protein One, which should regulate your insulin better through the night. Worse thing is to eat carbs at night - insulin spikes and sugar drops, resulting in hypoglycemia and hunger.

Is it possible you’re thirsty in the middle of the night? I’ve noticed I sometimes confuse the two now and a glass of Water, Gatorade Zero, etc can really fill me up when I think I’m hungry. Maybe try drinking 8-16 oz at 2 am and see if that helps??