Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What did your medical team put on your forbidden foods list? Have you stuck to it or tried anything you weren't supposed to? What was your body's reaction?

Anything you've eaten that should have been okay but your body hates and you've added to your forbidden foods list?

--------

For me, the only food I've found that I absolutely cannot eat is bread. Like traditional, regular bread. Crackers, tortillas, chips, pizza base (under the toppings), even croissant... All fine. But any sort of regular bread gets stuck within two bites and is painful and makes me need to vomit.

I haven't tried grapes or sausage skins or whole oranges/grapefruits which are all on the list, but other things like popcorn, beef, pork, and Pasta were on the "no go" list and I've had no problem with those in small doses.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using BariatricPal mobile app

50 minutes ago, brittcarter91 said:

What did your medical team put on your forbidden foods list? Have you stuck to it or tried anything you weren't supposed to? What was your body's reaction?

Anything you've eaten that should have been okay but your body hates and you've added to your forbidden foods list?

--------

For me, the only food I've found that I absolutely cannot eat is bread. Like traditional, regular bread. Crackers, tortillas, chips, pizza base (under the toppings), even croissant... All fine. But any sort of regular bread gets stuck within two bites and is painful and makes me need to vomit.

I haven't tried grapes or sausage skins or whole oranges/grapefruits which are all on the list, but other things like popcorn, beef, pork, and Pasta were on the "no go" list and I've had no problem with those in small doses.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using BariatricPal mobile app

I haven't had trouble with any foods. I've eaten a lot of the mentioned foods, but in small quantities. I haven't ate bread, so not sure about that. I have not thrown up (terrified of getting sick) since surgery. I have tested the waters and can eat all foods, but in limited quantities. I'm worried my appetite is coming back.

My doctors/nutritionist hasnt said much of anything about having no-go foods. I think their idea is that as long as we dont injure ourselves then go at it. If we then get sick, well then we know that it wasnt a good idea since everyone is unique in what they can eat after surgery.

Ive even eaten bread, albeit the really dark (but soft) bread that we have here in Europe along with hummus. I had no problems with it at all (after chewing it well ofc). I wonder though if I dont have a pouch of steel since im only 10 days out. Ive even done seeds with no problems. Admittedly, Ive kept my portions really small, but everything has gone down just fine.

The only problem Ive had with food so far was a mild dump from a nurse giving me non-watered down juice just after surgery (grrr). Still not up to normal foods yet, but I will start slowly with that in a few days.

I am only 4 months out from RNY and have not tried forbidden foods so I was dumbfounded when a Think Thin Protein Bar made me dump and deathly ill for 5 hours at least... grapes go right through me so they are a definite NO NO.. after the Think Thin fiasco affraid to push the envelope. My love and nemesis has always been bread and Pasta ( crackers , rice as well) and I am affraid just a taste will revert me to some old habits I don’t wish to revisit.. so I’ve convinced myself those trigger foods will most likely make me sick( even if I’m just talking myself into it) because I won’t go back .

2 hours ago, brittcarter91 said:

What did your medical team put on your forbidden foods list?

There is really nothing on the forbidden foods list. Well, except maybe carbonated beverages. However, this seems to be a highly controversial and I can drink lightly carbonated beverages without problems.

Otherwise nothing forbidden after the first weeks are over.

ETA: they gave a list of foods we should try with caution since quite a few patient are sensitive to them, e. g. bread, Pasta, rice, muesli, certain meats, acidic fruits...

Dairy. Seems to give me heartburn. Since I eliminated it all I could finally start to wean off the PPI. I'm also sensitive to the harder-to-digest fats and too much Protein foods or the combo of protein and fat. Without adding something like e. g. rice or bread it sits in my stomach like a brick and feels very uncomfortable.

I also don't eat meat (not surgery related).

Edited by summerset

bread does the same to me. Corn chips aren't a slider food for but other potato chips are. Lucky for me because corn chips are my favorite and I can have a few but not down a whole basket. popcorn is a slider and I will occasionally go nuts on air popped.

Greasy fried foods are awful. I can have a couple french fries but some items hold too much grease and my stomach doesn't like it.

I still can't do bread or soft tortillas or shredded chicken and sometimes steak.

15 hours ago, GradyCat said:

I still can't do bread or soft tortillas or shredded chicken and sometimes steak.

Is it just when it's shredded or even when when it's in breast form? I would hate not to be able to eat chicken again. Before the surgery my husband perfected his sous vide chicken recipe and I am really looking forward to eating that again.

9 hours ago, Krestel said:

Is it just when it's shredded or even when when it's in breast form? I would hate not to be able to eat chicken again. Before the surgery my husband perfected his sous vide chicken recipe and I am really looking forward to eating that again.

Just when it's in shredded form. It's something about the texture. I can eat regular chicken just fine.

I think it’s so individualized; what some people can tolerate, other cannot. It’s trial and error really

44 minutes ago, GradyCat said:

Just when it's in shredded form. It's something about the texture. I can eat regular chicken just fine.

For me the chicken cannot be dry.. I make a sugar free barbecue sauce or chicken salad, anything to keep it moist .

I am only 4 months out from RNY and have not tried forbidden foods so I was dumbfounded when a Think Thin Protein bar made me dump and deathly ill for 5 hours at least... grapes go right through me so they are a definite NO NO.. after the Think Thin fiasco affraid to push the envelope. My love and nemesis has always been bread and Pasta ( crackers , rice as well) and I am affraid just a taste will revert me to some old habits I don’t wish to revisit.. so I’ve convinced myself those trigger foods will most likely make me sick( even if I’m just talking myself into it) because I won’t go back .
I'm with you.. Im a carb addict & unfortunately they don't make me sick but I also don't want to start that slide into going back where I was so I refrain from them for the most part because it's too damn easy to get back in those habits! So I try to sub things like cauliflower rice for reg rice or spaghetti squash or zuchinni "zoodles".. You just have to change your expectations of the taste because it's not going to taste the same!

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

For me the chicken cannot be dry.. I make a sugar free barbecue sauce or chicken salad, anything to keep it moist .

Same.. I can't even stand white meat anymore! So now I use the boneless skinless thighs instead.. But there are so many things that just thinking about them turns my stomach.. Too bad it's not the stuff that I need it to turn my stomach

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

3 hours ago, Carrot64 said:

You should try sous vide chicken. It is soooo moist that it almost melts in your mouth. Sous vide brings meats to a whole other level. ..and everyone else loves it to boot.