Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgery date is 6/3/19. I am excited and a little concerned because I didn’t ask anyone to come help and my husband works 2nd shift. Am I making a mistake? Will I be able to get through the first few days home alone or do I need to get help?

I have not had my RNY revision surgery yet but if I were you I'd see if you can get someone as a standby in case you need anything.

I have seen ppl on here that did great and a few that needed backup.

Just to be safe keep a phone nearby and ppl in case you need them.

Keep phone number s handy.

Good luck with your surgery and keep updating your progress.

Allie

1 hour ago, Lady B 925 said:

My surgery date is 6/3/19. I am excited and a little concerned because I didn’t ask anyone to come help and my husband works 2nd shift. Am I making a mistake? Will I be able to get through the first few days home alone or do I need to get help?

I needed help. I'm 54 and dont work, but I needed help to cook and clean. I paid my daughter to cook, clean and she got all my pills ready. I was in a lot of pain and on a lot of narcotics for 10 days.

I think it's all individual depending on what responsibilities you have. My husband is like my kid and works very long hours. So, I've always cooked.

I would say if you don't have small children you might be ok to take care of yourself.

In the first week I couldnt eat, so I just needed to rest and walk a bit to prevent blood clots.

Wishing you all the best on your upcoming surgery!

It's strange how different people react differently. One lady said she had no problems, didn't use any pain medication and went back to work in 4 days.
Everyone is different and some people have a higher tolerance for pain (thankfully I am one of those people).
Maybe make some easy to throw in crockpot meals to make things easier for you during the first couple of weeks.
That's my plan.

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

I really only needed my husband around the first couple of days. I had almost zero pain and don't have children - but it was a bit of a challenge to get out of bed (sore abs). I probably could have done it myself if necessary, but it was nice having him around to bring me things so I wouldn't have to get out of bed so often.

if you're on liquids the first couple of weeks you probably don't need to worry about cooking (well, except if you have to cook for family - in that case, the suggestion above about making things in a crockpot before you go off to surgery is a good one). I jumped right into purees when I got home from the hospital (my plan allowed for that), so I was eating mostly things like Greek yogurt and hummus, so cooking really wasn't an issue for me the first couple of weeks.

I am 8 weeks po GLB to RNY stayed in hospital 2 days and was fine on my own. Took pain meds and drank fluids for 2 weeks. My mother was a few miles away and available to drive me to Surgeons office if complication that was a contract had to sign with dr that I had someone to drive me with in 2 weeks. I hurt to get up and down but I tried to walk every hour, pee, and replace my Water and Protein Drink while I was up. Laying in bed was only hard part and honeslt I slept in a recliner for 2 weeks anyways it was more comfy. Good luck we will be here for support.

Hi all,

I have an appointment to see a surgeon about either bypass or sleeve revision from the LapBand. I have done a lot of research but am not sure which one I should do. My insurance covers both but I have been on GERD meds for several years. I think it is because of the LAPBAND, did not have trouble with it before.......wonder if it will go away with the sleeve or if I should just go to the bypass surgery. UGH! So sick of the vomiting and the GERD and not being able to sleep laying flat because whatever I drank would come shooting out my nose and mouth.......I lost 95 lbs initially after my Band but gained back 17 lbs. So I am still at 220 lbs and at 5'3" and 52 yrs old I need to do something now to be healthy for a long rest of my life. I teach 4th grade and I want to be able to do so for as long as possible, comfortably! Any words of advice or insight would be appreciated!

17 minutes ago, jadeesmjk said:

Hi all,

I have an appointment to see a surgeon about either bypass or sleeve revision from the LapBand. I have done a lot of research but am not sure which one I should do. My insurance covers both but I have been on GERD meds for several years. I think it is because of the LAPBAND, did not have trouble with it before.......wonder if it will go away with the sleeve or if I should just go to the bypass surgery. UGH! So sick of the vomiting and the GERD and not being able to sleep laying flat because whatever I drank would come shooting out my nose and mouth.......I lost 95 lbs initially after my Band but gained back 17 lbs. So I am still at 220 lbs and at 5'3" and 52 yrs old I need to do something now to be healthy for a long rest of my life. I teach 4th grade and I want to be able to do so for as long as possible, comfortably! Any words of advice or insight would be appreciated!

if you've had GERD, I'd go with bypass

I do and it is terrible......would love to sleep laying down again! I am concerned about really loose skin and nutritional deficiencies, and hair loss.....ugh. How has it been for you?

Edited by jadeesmjk

5 hours ago, jadeesmjk said:

I do and it is terrible......would love to sleep laying down again! I am concerned about really loose skin and nutritional deficiencies, and hair loss.....ugh. How has it been for you?

as far as nutritional deficiencies, they're usually not a problem as long as you keep on top of your Vitamins. There are some people who don't absorb oral Iron well and have to go in for occasional infusions, but that's not all that common. Most of us do fine on oral iron supplements. As for the other vitamins, again, deficiencies are really rare as long as you take your vitamins.

Hair loss - I didn't have any. That can be an issue with any surgery, from what I understand - not just RNY and not just weight loss surgery in general. It's due to the anesthesia, supposedly. I'm guessing you see it more in weight loss surgeries than other types of surgeries because we're taking in so few calories those first few weeks and months, but I've heard of people losing hair from other surgeries - or from giving birth, too. Whatever, not everyone loses their hair, and for the majority who do, you're really the only one who notices it. It's kind of rare for it to come out in huge, noticeable clumps. If you didn't lose hair with your lapband surgery, maybe you'll be OK.

Loose skin - again, you're likely the only one who'll notice. I had mine removed three years after surgery because I didn't like looking at it anymore, but it was easy enough to hide from the world. I had most of it on my abdomen (I was, and still am, apple-shaped). I'd just tuck it in my jeans or "tummy-control" leggings and wore slightly-oversized, long-ish tops to cover any lumps. Here's a picture of me before plastic surgery. I had *a lot* of loose skin on my abdomen. It's not even noticeable in these clothes:

zjune2017.JPG

4 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

as far as nutritional deficiencies, they're usually not a problem as long as you keep on top of your Vitamins. There are some people who don't absorb oral Iron well and have to go in for occasional infusions, but that's not all that common. Most of us do fine on oral Iron supplements. As for the other Vitamins, again, deficiencies are really rare as long as you take your vitamins.

Hair loss - I didn't have any. That can be an issue with any surgery, from what I understand - not just RNY and not just weight loss surgery in general. It's due to the anesthesia, supposedly. I'm guessing you see it more in weight loss surgeries than other types of surgeries because we're taking in so few calories those first few weeks and months, but I've heard of people losing hair from other surgeries - or from giving birth, too. Whatever, not everyone loses their hair, and for the majority who do, you're really the only one who notices it. It's kind of rare for it to come out in huge, noticeable clumps. If you didn't lose hair with your lapband surgery, maybe you'll be OK.

Loose skin - again, you're likely the only one who'll notice. I had mine removed three years after surgery because I didn't like looking at it anymore, but it was easy enough to hide from the world. I had most of it on my abdomen (I was, and still am, apple-shaped). I'd just tuck it in my jeans or "tummy-control" leggings and wore slightly-oversized, long-ish tops to cover any lumps. Here's a picture of me before plastic surgery. I had *a lot* of loose skin on my abdomen. It's not even noticeable in these clothes:

zjune2017.JPG

You look amazing!

as far as nutritional deficiencies, they're usually not a problem as long as you keep on top of your Vitamins. There are some people who don't absorb oral Iron well and have to go in for occasional infusions, but that's not all that common. Most of us do fine on oral Iron supplements. As for the other Vitamins, again, deficiencies are really rare as long as you take your vitamins.

zjune2017.thumb.JPG.467779bc9ef5c07a44bbd27582d8ad5a.JPG
Thank you so much for your comprehensive reply. I appreciate your honesty and the info helps put my mind at ease. You look wonderful!

Sent from my XT1565 using BariatricPal mobile app

I had terrible GERD and like you I would wake up coughing and as if I aspirated some. My doctor's visit, he removed the 4cc out of my band the highest I have ever had was 7ccs (banded in 2009) and now I am able to sleep without any waking up coughing and with one pillow not 2 or 3 for a wedge. Just waiting on approval to have lapband removed and revision to RNY. Many prayers for you!

I had terrible GERD and like you I would wake up coughing and as if I aspirated some. My doctor's visit, he removed the 4cc out of my band the highest I have ever had was 7ccs (banded in 2009) and now I am able to sleep without any waking up coughing and with one pillow not 2 or 3 for a wedge. Just waiting on approval to have lapband removed and revision to RNY. Many prayers for you!
Thank you and I'm so happy for you that you have a date set! I'm still really nervous about it but I know that I'm d**k of this band! My revision consult is next Thursday.... Hope I can make the right choice, sleeve or bypass....It's looking more like bypass due to my GERD. [emoji37]

Oops! I just realized that you are waiting for approval, I'll be sending prayers your way too! Hope you hear soon! [emoji847]