Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How to handle hunger...

:help: I was banded on Nov. 14 and am hungry, hungry, hungry. I am only supposed to be on full liquids and I understand the Protein connection but still am hungry. Had instant Breakfast and 10 oz of milk for dinner, still hungry. NO feeling of fullness, just the annoying gas pain in upper left shoulder area. Any suggestions? I am getting cranky, just don't feel all that great, no energy. Would be interested in others' experiences this early on.

Thanks so much!:)

hello. i am not banded yet, but from all my research and reading on this board, it is too soon after your surgery to feel the effects yet. It will subside and you might not feel restriction until after you have had a fill or two. be patient....i cant wait to be in your shoes!

Hello BillysMom, this period is what we affectioately call "Bandsters Hell" I am NOT an expert at this as I have been banded only about 3 months. Here is what worked for me, I drank LOTS of teas and ate a lot of sugar free popcicles (I got sick of jello). I know this is not an easy time but it is so worth it, hang in there you can do this.

Ohhhh......yes, I get it! I thought that referred to when things get stuck and it hurts. I should probably drink more teas just to keep the tummy full. I don't expect a restriction feeling really, and I am too afraid to ruin something by pushing foods to hard/fast. I can tell that I will be very sorry if I "chug" a bunch of Fluid, and I certainly have learned NOT to bend over/lean over the last few days. There's a warning for newbies...don't lean over while you are healing!!! It's hard to do housework and yard work without doing that but it can all wait. I guess I need to be grateful I don't have to be on liquids for weeks, like some banders. I will make some more tea and break out the popsicles. I didn't realize I would be such a wimp about being hungry but it really does make me feel icky all over....though I think some of it is the head-game of losing what makes us all feel good...food! Of all the reading I did I just didn't pick up on this first "season" of recovery being as challenging as it is. The general chest pain is manageable so that's good....it's annoying at 3 am but manageable!!

Thanks for the replies and encouragement. It feels like every day is so slow, but I need to look ahead to when things are healed and the weight is coming off. :)

Try Bolthouse Farms Protein shakes. They are YUMMY i live on them when i am on liquids. They have 20 grams of Protein in one bottle.

One bottle is about 300 calories. (One bottle is 2 servings)

You can find them at your grocery store in the produce section by the "healthy" juices. Only the mocha, hazelnut and Chai vanilla have protein in them .

They Do NOT taste like Protein Shakes at ALL . I LOVE LOVE LOVE THEM

They fill me up for about 4 hours

HTH

Mindy

:help: I was banded on Nov. 14 and am hungry, hungry, hungry. I am only supposed to be on full liquids and I understand the Protein connection but still am hungry. Had instant breakfast and 10 oz of milk for dinner, still hungry. NO feeling of fullness, just the annoying gas pain in upper left shoulder area. Any suggestions? I am getting cranky, just don't feel all that great, no energy. Would be interested in others' experiences this early on.

No, I think you are missing info on the Protein thing. The carbs from the milk will undo the effects of the protein and you'll be verrrry hungry.

The idea of protein is to knock out all carbs. The carbs from the milk will bump up your blood sugar. Your pancreas will kick out insulin to drop your blood sugar and that's when you get hungry again.

You have to start off the day carb free. Then and only then does the protein concept work. Keep your carbs at NO MORE than 25gms daily. Check your milk, you are getting too many there. I'm not saying milk is a bad thing but it won't help you in this stage, not even a little. Once you start consuming carbs you'll be toast for the entire day.

I like two protein products mixed with Water. Matrix 5.0 (chocolate, NOT Vanilla.... gahhhh) and whey Gourmet Choco/PB (NOT plain chocolate, gahhhh) Either of these products can be mixed with Water, 120 calories, 22gms protein, 2gm carbs. Cut out the milk and ALL other carbs and you can do this much easier.

Believe it or not, a few months from now if someone tells you that you have to go on an all liquid diet for a month you won't even bat an eye at it. food issues get so much better.

:help: I was banded on Nov. 14 and am hungry, hungry, hungry. I am only supposed to be on full liquids and I understand the Protein connection but still am hungry. Had instant breakfast and 10 oz of milk for dinner, still hungry. NO feeling of fullness, just the annoying gas pain in upper left shoulder area. Any suggestions? I am getting cranky, just don't feel all that great, no energy. Would be interested in others' experiences this early on.

can anyone tell me why there is pain in the shoulder?

can anyone tell me why there is pain in the shoulder?

During surgery they fill your gut with gas so the docs can see what they are doing during surgery. This pushes your diaphragm up and out of the way. There is a nerve in your diaphragm and after surgery sometimes this nerve is irritated and it hurts up your shoulder.

In Mexico most docs will automatically fix a hernia or wide hiatus, no extra charge. In the US most docs charge quite a bit for those one or two sutures, about $1800. When that hernia or wide hiatus is repaired it can add a couple of days of shoulder pain and sometimes pain up the side of your neck.

the commercials say the band tames your hunger, not true? why are you hungry, hungry?

Those commercials are not always very accurate. They don't tell the whole story. They give a general overview of best case scenarios.

Hunger happens before you have restriction. The band does not work well without solid food and restriction. During healing you have no added restriction and no solid food, liquids only during healing.

So you have to knock out all carbs and focus on Protein. That kills stomach hunger, head hunger is up to us to deal with. You know, when that chocolate cake is calling your name? You aren't really hungry but you want to eat anyway.

The carbs from the milk will undo the effects of the Protein and you'll be verrrry hungry.

The idea of Protein is to knock out all carbs. The carbs from the milk will bump up your blood sugar. Your pancreas will kick out insulin to drop your blood sugar and that's when you get hungry again.

You have to start off the day carb free. Then and only then does the protein concept work. Keep your carbs at NO MORE than 25gms daily.

I had no idea about the negative relationship between milk and protein in regards to Protein Drinks and hunger. I had decided to stay away from those types merely out of laziness; I didn't want to have to mix up shakes while healing! I have ordered the "Nature's Best Isopure Zero Carb" drinks. In a 20 oz. bottle there are: 40 grams of protein, 160 calories, 0 fat, 0 carbohydrates, 0 sugars, 55 mg of Calcium, 80 mg of sodium, and 45 mg of potassium.

They come in an assortment of flavors and taste like crap. I figure that the benefits outweigh the momentary displeasure. They can be a bit pricey, but isn't one's health worth it? I ordered them online from GNC. They have special discounts for "Gold Card Members" (a membership you have to pay 15 bucks for, but seems cost effective when one takes into account the total amount saved) and offer free shipping for orders over $75. I paid $126.88 for 36 bottles and the membership, which works out roughly to $3.50 a day for a good chunk of one's protein intake for the day.

Ohhhh, I don't know how you can get that stuff down. I can't.

I was such a good newbie in the beginning. Bought a bunch of Isopuke and was alllll ready for post op. Isopuke was the first thing that made me barf after surgery. I was a virgin PBer until Isopuke. The taste was so horrible and the pond scum for texture did it to me.

I'll never forget that for the rest of my days.

A long time ago on my doc's board we were all ready to hunt down the makers of Isopuke like a mad dog and shoot him. :)

:p"Isopuke" - Love that name!

I tried several and thought nearly all of them were just plain awful and inedible. But the GrapeFrost flavor wasn't too bad I'll still drink it from time to time when I'm trying to kickstart some more weightloss. It's better if you mix it with some Crystal Light lemonade mix.

WABB, I was just going to say the same thing. Go for low carb Protein Drinks and avoid the milk. Instant breakfast is also full of carbs, I think, though I haven't read the label in a while. I've said this before, but I use Hi Health Ultimate Meal and never had any hunger pains. (They should start paying me for all my advertising of this stuff!) I like the vanilla bean the best and add my own flavorings.

:omg: I too was a good pre-op dieter... I found these amazing ISOPURE's with 40g of Protein. I sipped on it throughout the day. I thought the Alpine Punch tasted somewhat like SF Jello that had not been jelled yet. I got the Pinapple, Orange and banana ones too.

Well, since they helped so much, and I could at least tolerate them I thought, I will stock up. Well, I can't stand the friggin things now.... I bought 4 cases...

I am still gagging them down because I like them better then any powder I have found yet. The Protein does really help with the hunger. When I use the Isopure only, the day's temptations do not have as much impact. But when I change it up with Muscle Milk Lite (RTD) that has milk and carbs, I feel hungry sooner.