Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stricture- How do you deal with the awful feeling you're going to throw up?

So, I was diagnosed with a stricture and I can barely function because I feel like I am going to throw up at any minute. I'm having trouble tolerating liguids and I don't want to get dehydrated. Even when I sip slowly I have terrible pressure in my pouch and throat.

Any tips to make this easier until I have my dilation procedure? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Warm as opposed to cold or room. temp liquids. Other than that you are still at the mercy of your beleagured gastric pouch. Oh I hope your EGJ goes well Tuesday, I have an appointment with my surgeon the same day, perhaps they will tell me the Plan Of Care they have formulated. Think that would be Only right.

Warm as opposed to cold or room. temp liquids. Other than that you are still at the mercy of your beleagured gastric pouch. Oh I hope your EGJ goes well Tuesday, I have an appointment with my surgeon the same day, perhaps they will tell me the Plan Of Care they have formulated. Think that would be Only right.
Thanks, Frustr8! I'll try some broth. Good luck with your appointment on Tuesday. Come back here and let me know what they say about your plan of care.

Will do, I promise!

Balloon endoscopy I've had stricture problem requiring five balloon endoscopy and finally a stent for a month to keep intestine open

good luck

Balloon endoscopy I've had stricture problem requiring five balloon endoscopy and finally a stent for a month to keep intestine open
good luck
Thanks, Steven1954. They do completely knock you out for the endoscopy, right? I'm kinda nervous! Did you feel any better after the first one? How many weeks between endoscopies? Thanks!!

Yeah they do knock you out for endoscopies, Well everybody but ME! October 26th I was scheduled for my second EGJ with Dr Noria. I suspect it is because I am a redhead, we require a different level for sedation. They started to inject sedation into my IV, I'm lying on my left side which is the traditional position, a mouth gag in, sounds bad but all it is for is to keep an open area for the Endoscopy tube to go through and also to keep you from biting down. OSU gives you a small plastic one, doesn't stretch your mouth in any way, a lot nicer than the black bakelite rubber one my local hospital offers. Well the nurse- anesthesia person says 'You'll be asleep in a second" Okay-bee but it didn't happen so I watched the monitor along with the doctor, she was standing about my hip level manipulating the fiber-optic tubing. Now before they put the mouthpiece in they have you gargle some numbing medicine and then swallow it. You feel it numb your esophagus and into your stomach. So I never really felt the tubing going. into me. When she had completed what she had to do, removed the mouthpiece and I felt the tubing remived, not much more sensation than pulling your thumb out of your mouth.She then said " It's okay to wake her back up" I rolled over onto my back and announced" You don't need to bother, I'm awake, I have been awake the whole time and I got to watch it ALL!" The rest of the people in the room looked astonished, Dr Noria said " Oopsie" and then told me her evaluations. If such a flub-up had to happen, I was the perfect person to have it happen to, I was perfectly calm, and it was much much better than YouTube because this was real, not staged, and we truly are made wonderfully inside. But from then on, I have made certain I get to go to sleep, I usually don't sleep real well the night before, I know it is an hour over , an hour back And I am fearful of oversleeping and missing my pick-up. So I welcome the rest I get there. Really you awake pretty refreshed from it all. Minimal if any throat tenderness, no tummy pain internally, and I almost always stay awake in the ride home. But if you feel like a nap when you get home ,that's okay too.
So we are both looking forward to Tuesday, April 30th, just for slightly different reasons, and YES I will update you on what they say!👈😝👉🌹🌹🌷🌹

And in the beginning every 2 weeks, the every month until the last 2, they were 6 weeks apart. Probably depends on how booked up they are, mine is done, of course pretty much like an ambulatory surgery, in the hepatology(liver) and gastrointestinal floor- 2 Doan- approximately 6 floors down from where I recovered from my RNY.
Bad thing, maybe, I have been there so often they call me by my first name instead of a patient #, but still they always seem glad to see me. I am hoping to hear maybe one more time or that they will put in a stent like they did for Steven1954. It's almost like I have a Retraction Ring that keeps it from staying dialated out.

Thanks, Frustr8! I'll make sure I'm asleep. I had an endoscopy about 30 years ago to diagnose an ulcer, and was awake the whole time. It was Awful!! I was gagging and panicking and all that.

Hey THIS TIME You will do just fine, gonna be pretty easy- breezy tomorrow!

I had bypass in sept 2016 after band removal. Stricture appeared in late oct

after five balloon endoscopys dr could not fixed to I went to columbia Presbyterian in ny. There they did two more before putting in stent. Stent stayed in three weeks before breaking loose and perforating intestine Three surgeries in a week to retrieve it. Two weeks later abscess infection.

Was cut open and left to heal for three weeks After that ordeal a total blockage a moth later due to scarring. Had to be re sectioned twice, one that June. 2017 and again this past November. The sweet cost of being thin was expensive medically but worth it I went from 320 at highest to 175. By the way I'm also a redhead Best of luck Steve

The office staff knows me at columbia Presbyterian.

Oh, my goodness! I can't believe what you've been through!! Hopefully you're all done with surgeries and totally healed.

Well, I had my endoscopy with supposed dilation today, but the opening was as narrow as a pin, and he could only get a wire in there, no balloon. Will have to have several more little dilations. Spent 5 hours on recovery vomiting up foamies so bad. They had to try 3 different anti nausea medications to get me to stop vomiting. The anastomosis was completely ulcerated. Ugh!

Well no surprise to me, to me you had the signs, and I am still living the LIFE. Had to move my appointment until noon on Wednesday, my ride ditched on me for today, wish I had an Uncle Vito to arrange for a funeral for LastMinuteLouise, oh waited until 10AM to tell me she couldn't do it. Grrr!