Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stalled already(!??) or insulin resistance?

I've heard about the 4 week stall, but I'm only 11 days out from surgery... could I have stalled already?!! I haven't lost anything in 6 days now, which is completely insane because I'm maybe taking in 200 calories a day on this liquid diet. Can someone tell me this happened to them too and it will pass? I was prepared for the 4-week stall; I wasn't prepared to get discouraged this quickly! (And I'm insanely jealous of all the people I'm reading about that are 20-30-40 lbs down already!!!)

I’m also secretly concerned that my doc took me off my metformin (insulin resistance) - which has been my biggest barrier to weight loss in the past. Anyone else that had IR but has been able to lose weight without their mettformin?

Edited by Kellykellykelly

wow sis!!!!. Hang in there it will all start dropping gradually.

20 minutes ago, Kellykellykelly said:

I've heard about the 4 week stall, but I'm only 11 days out from surgery... could I have stalled already?!! I haven't lost anything in 6 days now, which is completely insane because I'm maybe taking in 200 calories a day on this liquid diet. Can someone tell me this happened to them too and it will pass? I was prepared for the 4-week stall; I wasn't prepared to get discouraged this quickly! (And I'm insanely jealous of all the people I'm reading about that are 20-30-40 lbs down already!!!)

(I'm also secretly concerned that my doc took me off my metformin (insulin resistance) - which has been my biggest barrier to weight loss in the past. Anyone else that had IR but has been able to lose weight without their metformin?)

Way too early to worry about stalling. Your body is adjusting to the shock of surgery, and the lack of food.

BTW ... the people down 20-30-0 lbs in 11 days usually that includes the preop diet weight loss

BBTW ... you need to be taking in more than 200 cals, you can't be getting all your Protein if you're only eating 200 cals

3 minutes ago, Kellykellykelly said:

Thanks for the response- right now the most Protein Shake I’m able to get down is about 1/2 in the morning and 1/2 in the afternoon (otherwise still drinking Clear Liquids per dr instructions). I don’t even know how’d I’d get more calories in at this point

What is the struggle with the Protein Shakes? What if you thinned them with Fairlife milk?

50 minutes ago, sillykitty said:

What is the struggle with the Protein Shakes? What if you thinned them with Fairlife milk?

They make me nauseous if I drink too quickly so I’ve been baby sipping to get as much as I can down. Nut seems ok with that as long as I’m getting other liquids in.

Just now, Kellykellykelly said:

They make me nauseous if I drink too quickly so I’ve been baby sipping to get as much as I can down. Nut seems ok with that as long as I’m getting other liquids in.

I’ll try thinning them though- hadnt thought of that! Thanks!

3 hours ago, Kellykellykelly said:

I’m also secretly concerned that my doc took me off my metformin (insulin resistance) - which has been my biggest barrier to weight loss in the past. Anyone else that had IR but has been able to lose weight without their mettformin?

I have PCOS and insulin resistance was one of my main reasons for getting the surgery. I was taken off metformin the day of surgery - and I was on 2000 mg a day. Was never so glad of anything in my life - I hated that metformin, it always did a number on my guts!

I was warned that PCOS-ers are typically slow losers, and was kind of prepared for that. I was also told that because I was on the lower end of the BMI chart for surgery (36), that I would lose slower too. But the hormones are the main culprit, I think. My endocrinologist told me that for someone with PCOS to lose 1 lb is equivalent to a "normal" person losing 5 lbs - it's just that hard.

Anyway, I lost about 11 lbs from surgery day, then stalled on day 12. For 11 days I fluctuated between a stall and a slight gain, until I started losing again. Now I am 10 weeks out and have had that stall, and another stall where I fluctuated between 176 lbs and 171 lbs for three weeks.

I seem to have hit a decent stride now - I have been on a constant losing streak for 16 days and hopefully it'll continue. I think I've found a calorie number, Protein amount, Water amount and step count that are the sweet spot for me. I am someone who chronically could not lose no matter what I did. Prior to surgery I was on 1300 calories or less a day for years and still gained. So if it is happening (yes, very slowly, but still) for me - you should have every belief that it'll happen for you!

At 11 days post-op you're still very much healing. My doctor's office won't even talk about weight loss until 6 weeks post-op because it takes several weeks for the body to "calm down" and normalize after surgery. You're inflamed and in pain and your body is reeling from its surgical experience. Just keep doing what your doc and NUT say, and this will pass!

I just looked at my records and at 11 days post-op I'd "only" lost 13 pounds from my surgery weight. I stayed there for a week and a half. But I'm 6 months post-op tomorrow and down 73 from surgery date! Let your body heal and the weight will resume dropping!

4 hours ago, Kellykellykelly said:

I did it. They took me off metformin as soon as I started losing weight while waiting for approval. I lost 30 pounds in the 4 months it took until my surgical date. I’m a couple pounds away from losing 90 now and nearly 30 below goal weight.

You hang in there. Work your program. Don’t compare yourself to anyone else. If you are doing what you’re supposed to be doing, your body and sleeve will get you there. Everyone has a different timeline. You go!

59 minutes ago, Boldilocks said:

I have PCOS and insulin resistance was one of my main reasons for getting the surgery. I was taken off metformin the day of surgery - and I was on 2000 mg a day. Was never so glad of anything in my life - I hated that metformin, it always did a number on my guts!

I was warned that PCOS-ers are typically slow losers, and was kind of prepared for that. I was also told that because I was on the lower end of the BMI chart for surgery (36), that I would lose slower too. But the hormones are the main culprit, I think. My endocrinologist told me that for someone with PCOS to lose 1 lb is equivalent to a "normal" person losing 5 lbs - it's just that hard.

Anyway, I lost about 11 lbs from surgery day, then stalled on day 12. For 11 days I fluctuated between a stall and a slight gain, until I started losing again. Now I am 10 weeks out and have had that stall, and another stall where I fluctuated between 176 lbs and 171 lbs for three weeks.

I seem to have hit a decent stride now - I have been on a constant losing streak for 16 days and hopefully it'll continue. I think I've found a calorie number, Protein amount, Water amount and step count that are the sweet spot for me. I am someone who chronically could not lose no matter what I did. Prior to surgery I was on 1300 calories or less a day for years and still gained. So if it is happening (yes, very slowly, but still) for me - you should have every belief that it'll happen for you!

THANK YOU! I too have PCOS and I have never heard from another’s experience with IR and PCOS, I can’t even tell you how helpful this is and how much hope it gives me. I too have been eating 1300/1500 calories for years and still gained. In the past it seemed that there was *nothing* I could do to make the scale budge, no matter how patient I was. My main motivation for the surgery was bc I have read quite a lot about how sleeve can immediately improve IR. As soon as the scale stopped last week my first thought was “oh no, here we go again”. Your story gives me so much hope (something I haven’t had in years)! Thank you!!!!