Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeves Any regrets????why and why not????

Gosh no. I have had zero complications though - no dumping or other food intolerances, no heartburn. The worst part has been my thinning hair. It distresses me at times but not enough that I ever regret the surgery.

My only kind of regret (as corny as it sounds and has been said before on these forums), is not having had done this sooner. I looked at bariatric surgery 9 years ago and decided it was not for me at the time. I feel mentally at that time I was not were I am today and feel my maturity today is part of my success.

I am 5'7 and weighed 357 on surgery day (March 11) it's now been almost three weeks. I am down to 322. I can most definitely tell you that those first two weeks were absolute hell. I was feeling regret the moment I came out of anesthesia. The pain was just so unbearable. I ended up in the ER a day after being released from the hospital because I was in so much pain. BUT... things did get better and as of now I just feel sore. I am almost to the pureed stage. I am so sick of drinking my meals. In all honesty I'm not feeling super positive about this decision. I just want to feel like myself and I just feel blah. I don't mean at all to discourage you or scare you. This is just my story. Best of luck and a quick recovery.

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

My surgery date was also the 11th

Sent from my BND-L34 using BariatricPal mobile app

Yes! I regret waiting so long. It’s been a little over a year and the losing slowed to about 3 lbs a month but for the last 6 months and I’m down 100 lbs. I only throw up if I over eat so I don’t over eat. I see the same hard working people in the gym for the past and feel for their daily struggle. But because of the surgery every thing I do helps me loose weight. Good luck!

This is a life long decision not a quick fix .I know a lot of People who have had the Gastric bypass and who have regained all there Weight.Can also happen with the VSG you have to be diligent.

Supergirl88 do the surgery & stop thinking negatively it’s gonna be fine having a child has more complications , just give ur Delaware couple wks yo recover & font lift anything.. follow Drs instructions all the way.

On 3/31/2019 at 5:48 AM, supergirl88 said:

Hi guys Iam scheduled for VSG on Thursday April 4 , not much support from family , my parents thinks it’ll shorten my life because possible complications iam 28 5’7 weight 258lbs !!! Some days I feel like backing up ,some days i really want to go for it ,but then again I don’t want to do it and god forbid something happens 😥!!!

No logic.. living with obesity will shorten your life every single day!! Complications are few and far between but even so they aren't fatal lol

I had a sleeve 5 years ago. It caused me to have severe acid reflux. I lost weight in the beginning but gained the majority of it back. If I had to do it over I would have started with the Roux en y. I ended up needing to have the RNY anyway because of the severe acid reflux. I guess the only way you can correct the acid reflux is to do a RNY because it forms a wall so the acid can’t travel back up your esophagus. Since I’ve had the RNY I have also discovered it is also almost impossible to throw up. So I have horrible dry heaves when I am nauseous. The sleeve works for a lot of people, but it just didn’t work for me.

No regrets what’s so ever. I didn’t have any complications from surgery but if I had stayed the weight I was I would def have problems sooner or later. I’m def a healthier person now. I’ve lost 81 pounds now. You have to make the best choice you think for you. It’s not for everyone. Weight out your pros and cons. Good luck with whatever you decide. 😊

I was sleeved back in November and have had no regrets. Of course the first 3 weeks post op were not fun at all and I kept asking myself why did I do this to myself but that was because I wasn't able to eat "real food" and I was missing food that I could chew. Once those first 3 weeks were over and I stepped on a scale I felt so much better!

Now that I can eat whatever I want I sometimes struggle with temptation at times but that is just because I need to develop a new and more healthy relationship with food.

Good luck to you:)

On 3/31/2019 at 1:37 PM, Beegrrly said:

No regrets here and I even had it done in Mexico so I don’t have a lot of medical support follow up here. I’m 5 months post op and I’m down almost 70 pounds. It feels so great and my only regret is I let myself talk myself out of it for so many years.

I got my sleeve done on 3/8/19 in Mexico also. Although they call me ever Friday. I found a Nurse Practionier & made her my Primary Care. She is getting me into group, she states that once I’m in the group that my insurance company will pay for a Tummy Tuck if needed because I am a bariatric patient. FYI - potentially FREE tummy tuck.

I had buyers remorse for the first week, maybe? I don’t think it was so much related to the sleeve, though. I had a large hiatal hernia that was repaired at the same time and my diaphragm and esophagus were really irritated from that. Was really uncomfortable to sip Water or even breathe, honestly.

I’m 10 weeks out now and 40 lbs lighter. I should also add that I feel like a million bucks. Those few days of buyers remorse was more than worth it in my opinion. I have absolutely no regrets now.

I was sleeved 12/20/18 and I think the only regret (and I wouldn't really even call it a regret it's more of my mental relationship with food) was not being able to eat a lot of the foods I use to be able to. But that's my unhealthy relationship with foods and I only had that feeling shortly after I was sleeved and I haven't had it since. My mom also sleeved but hers was 11/19/18 and her and I have shared recipes back and forth to try and finding healthy good foods has helped a TON.