Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Book on Head Hunger?

I can't progress much when I call it head hunger. For me, it has to be about breaking patterns. I eat in front of the TV, at my computer, and in my car. So I watch less TV, and when I'm watching, I exercise. I take a healthy drink with me whenever I get in the car.....and I'm eating right now. Gotta work on that....

The best thing for dealing with the thoughts, that lead to the feelings that lead to the fridge is "The Work". At least that I ever found. It is remarkably easy to use and lifechanging all the way around. It's also free (or you can buy the book, Loving What Is by Byron Katie) on www.thework.com.

I tried it and now I share it with other lapbanders for free. IT ROCKS!

Geneen Roth's books are very good. She has several.

This is quoted from a response "LapDancer" gave to a question regarding fills. Thought it might help.

Think You Need a Fill? THINK AGAIN

By Nikki Johnson

Do you remember that feeling you had when you first had your band placed? For a while, everything was great. You didn't experience hunger, you felt satisfied with a small portion of good food, you had more energy, and you were thrilled with your initial weight loss progress.

If you are like most people, your experience changed over time, Some of those feelings of hunger returned, and you stopped losing weight. You knew you needed something, so you went to your surgeon's office and asked for a "fill" right? If so, you might be surprised to learn that it is your thinking about your band, and not the band itself, that needs adjusting.

The LAP-BAND Bad Word

Paul O'Brien, MD, FRACS, is a skillful, compassionate surgeon and a foremost expert on the LAP-BAND System. he was involved in its design in the early 1990's and placed the first band in Australia in 1994. Since then, he has treated thousands of patients and is recognized worldwide for his expertise. When his patients utter that worst of four-letter words, "fill," in his office, they are asked to throw a dollar in the Red Cross donation bucket--a reminder that, according to Dr. O'Brien, thinking about a "fill" is just wrong thinking.

How can a concept that we hear about so constantly be so very wrong? Dr. O'Brien's answer is simple: "Any adjustment to the band is something that only takes place in the context of clinical consultation--part of a relationship of trust, honesty and communication between patient and surgeon--that is much more key to the success of the patient than the precise number of milliliters of Fluid in the band. This concept of partnership is the central theme of Dr. O'Brien's new book, The Lap-Band Solution--A Partnership of Weight Loss.

Patty's Note: Available on Amazon.com ISBN#9780522854121

Like many people, you might assume that weight gain or a sustained plateau means an incorrectly adjusted band; in fact, you may be right. But you may be surprised to learn that weight gain sometimes results from a band that is too tight. This is part of the reason why the "fill" concept is so misleading. If your surgeon determines that you are not losing weight as you should, then discovering why that is happening is crucial. Sometimes adding Fluid to the band will only make matters worse.

Life in the "GREEN ZONE"

Most people who have the LAP-BAND operation will have an amazing feeling of disinterest in food for the first week after surgery, before any adjustments are even made to the fluid in the band. According to Dr. O'Brien, that lack of interest in food is referred to as satiety. A related but different feeling is satiation, or the feeling you get as you are eating, precisely at the point that you don't need any more food to eat but you do not have an uncomfortable feeling of fullness. These two feelings--satiety and satiation--are what the properly adjusted band helps you achieve, allowing you to maintain your new healthier eating habits.

Your careful observation and truthful sharing of your feelings and eating behaviors, combined with the expert care and training of your surgeon and his or her staff, can make the very individual determination of whether your band is properly adjusted much more accurate. In order to help create the most effective partnership between themselves and their patients, Dr. O'Brien and his colleagues at the Australian Centre for Obesity Research and Education have developed a concept they refer to as the "Green Zone". When patients are in the green zone, they experience satiety, satiation after properly-sized small meals, and satisfactory weight loss or maintenance.

However, there are also yellow and red zones, both of which indicate that the band is not optimally adjusted. If your band is too loose, you will not have the benefits the band's hunger-controlling mechanism. If your band is too tight, you will have trouble eating properly and may actually gain weight because the foods you can eat more comfortable, that tend to be liquid and calorie-rich, like ice cream and chocolate, do not provide the proper nutrition. Learning to recognize when you have the feelings and eating behaviors that signal a problem can help you give your surgeon the information he or she needs to help you keep the band optimally adjusted.

Thinking Adjustment

Once you have eliminated the concpet of "fills" from you Lap-Band vocabulary, you will be able to let go of much of the conventional thinking connected to it. Perhaps you have heard talk about the "ideal" amount of fluid in the Lap-Band. While it may be helpful to have some idea of how much fluid is in your band, Dr. O'Brien says there is no magic number. No perfect amount of fluid will provide the best results for everyone. He says, rather, that "whatever volume of fluid is needed to achieve the [feeling of non-hunger] is the correct volume." When you notice that you are feeling hungry or are not losing weight, your body is telling you it is time to revisit your partner in weight loss -- your surgeon. your success absolutely depends on this relationship. So rather than thinking "adjustments," adjust your thinking, and, in partnership with your surgeon, find a lifetime of health!

For more information about all of the themes discussed in this article, please see Dr. O'Brien's book, The Lap-Band Solution--A Partnership for Weight Loss, which is available fro Amazon.com. We also invite you to visit LAP-BAND® System Forum - Home for more information and supportive resources.

You should You are You should

ADD FLUID OPTIMAL REDUCE FLUID

Hungry Early prolonged satiety Difficulty swallowing

Big Meals satiety Reflux - hearburn

Looking for food Small meals satisfy Night Cough

Satisfactory weight loss Regurgitation

or maintenance Poor eating behavior

~*~*~*~*Lap Dancer~*~*~*~*

I have one called "Life is hard, food is easy" by Linda Spangle.

It tells how to recognize emotional eating by the types of food you eat and how to deal with the emotions instead of eating them. It's great!

I will second the "anything by Geneen Roth" rec; also Thin for Life by Anne Fletcher-not everything in it is applicable, but it has a lot of useful head hunger info. Also, look for anything on compulsive overeating. Whether you CO or not, that is where most of the head hunger books will be.

Take care!

Byron Katie's (AKA Katie) Besteselling Book, "Loving What Is", is the singularly best book I have every read (and teaches you her simple 4 question and "turnaround" process to follow) to deal with the thinking that leads to overeating, drinking or any of the other things we do to medicate our thoughts. I could NEVER have gotten through this lapband process without using these 4 questions. I also gave up alcohol, drugs and cigarettes over 1 1/2 years ago using the process which is called "The Work".

It helps me identify my stressful thoughts, question them, and miraculously they "let go of me". I don't need to change my thoughts, I just question them, and they leave me - and "Peace" is what's left. I rarely eat "emotionally" anymore.

If, like me, you start reading it and it sounds too simple, don't give up - I stuck with it, and as my husband says, "I have a whole New, Wonderful, Wife!" And this is PRIOR TO WEIGHTLOSS.

Also her book, "I need your love is that true" Is just as amazing and explains how to do this work and also a lot more about how we seek "Love, Appreciation and Approval.

You can see video demos of the process, called "The Work" at www.thework.com. You do not need a teacher or to buy a bunch of stuff; it is a simple process where YOUR answers are all you need, these 4 questions are soooooo penetrating and you get to tap into a self-wisdom that you may have had no idea you possessed. And the process is SIMPLE! You can contact me anytime if you need help - at no charge of course. I just love sharing this remarkable tool.

There is a free hotline too, at the website, and so much free support from Katie, it is unprecedented.

Give it a try, and if you want, I still have some boxes of free cds and mini-books I can send you until they run out. I will send you a set. But her book is at any bookstore, or you can ask them to order it, or get it on her website.

I am not affiliated with Byron Katie International. I am not trying to sell anything. I just think this the THE WORK for those of us that struggle with food and other compulsions and I love spreading the word.

LOVE TO YOU ALL!

Byron Katie's (AKA Katie) Besteselling Book, "Loving What Is", is the singularly best book I have every read (and teaches you her simple 4 question and "turnaround" process to follow) to deal with the thinking that leads to overeating, drinking or any of the other things we do to medicate our thoughts. I could NEVER have gotten through this lapband process without using these 4 questions. I also gave up alcohol, drugs and cigarettes over 1 1/2 years ago using the process which is called "The Work".

It helps me identify my stressful thoughts, question them, and miraculously they "let go of me". I don't need to change my thoughts, I just question them, and they leave me - and "Peace" is what's left. I rarely eat "emotionally" anymore.

If, like me, you start reading it and it sounds too simple, don't give up - I stuck with it, and as my husband says, "I have a whole New, Wonderful, Wife!" And this is PRIOR TO WEIGHTLOSS.

Also her book, "I need your love is that true" Is just as amazing and explains how to do this work and also a lot more about how we seek "Love, Appreciation and Approval.

You can see video demos of the process, called "The Work" at www.thework.com. You do not need a teacher or to buy a bunch of stuff; it is a simple process where YOUR answers are all you need, these 4 questions are soooooo penetrating and you get to tap into a self-wisdom that you may have had no idea you possessed. And the process is SIMPLE! You can contact me anytime if you need help - at no charge of course. I just love sharing this remarkable tool.

There is a free hotline too, at the website, and so much free support from Katie, it is unprecedented.

Give it a try, and if you want, I still have some boxes of free cds and mini-books I can send you until they run out. I will send you a set. But her book is at any bookstore, or you can ask them to order it, or get it on her website.

I am not affiliated with Byron Katie International. I am not trying to sell anything. I just think this the THE WORK for those of us that struggle with food and other compulsions and I love spreading the word.

LOVE TO YOU ALL!