Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stomach can’t handle protein.. SO hungry

Hey All!

I was sleeved on 3/18/19 and have had a really rough recovery. I’m only able to get down about 8oz of liquid a day. I figured out that reflux meds help, but only enough to help me get maybe 12oz of liquids down a day. Protein20, Premier Protein all upsets my stomach. I can get down small sips of Water and a popsicle if I eat it slow. I’m post op day 5 and ALLLLL food LOOKS DELICIOUS!! I haven’t had more than a total of 4oz of Protein in one day, (today actually), since Sunday, 3/17/19, the last day of pre-op. I talked to my doc today because I was worried about malnutrition and hydration. He just asked me to keep working on Clear Liquids and would check on me Monday and if I’m still having issues, he would have me in. Has anyone been through this where only water will go down easy? I feel like I just want to eat something!!!! Ugh :(

I am so sorry that you are having a hard time with your Protein. I have not had my surgery yet but from what l have read from others here, it seems normal and the important thing is to try to get as much Water in as possible to avoid dehydration. It looks like you are getting in some water. Hang in there and thanks for posting your experience so far and hope someone answer your question shortly.

I was on clear liquids for a full week post op and then a full week of full liquids. My dr gave me Water and Protein goals but assured me I wouldn’t be able to hit those goals for awhile. My dr wasn’t concerned about protein either, just to sip, sip, sip. And I totally get the wanting to eat something. Hang in there!

I'm on the clear liquid phase and I can't stomach my Protein powders, but I learned a way to consume it. Vital Proteins has a flavorless collagen peptides that I add to a lipton chicken noodle Soup broth and I've been able to consume my 60 grs that way. It dissolves lightly and doesn't change the consistency of the liquid.

Im day 7 out of surgery and I’m struggling too. Do you feel weak at all or dizzy? I have been feeling quite weak.

I can get enough Water but the Protein water is just so hard to get down

Atkin2019 YES! Definitely weak! I was even having a problem with Water, but that has been okay now. Something with the Protein just doesn’t digest in my stomach well. I am glad water works, but the hunger is real! I got some minestrone Soup from the store today & drained it so I could eat the broth & I got about 5-6 sips down before I didn’t feel good to my stomach. Working on staying on top of my acid reflux & nausea today to see if that helps! Good luck!!!!

Many people find warm broth the easiest to get down at this point. Bone Broth is usually the highest in Protein. Sip It slowly and keep it warm.