Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm day 1 Post Op

First time poster long time lurker.. I want to thank everyone who does post as you provided me with a great deal of information!!

I was just sleeved yesterday and I'm sitting here in the hospital hoping to be released later today.

I am really have alot of nausea issues and acid reflux issues. I have been given medicine for both of those issues with limited success.

I had some soreness accociated with the incision but it wasn't necessary a pain.. except when I first got out of bed to walk!

Hardest part for me last night was dealing with the gas pains in the center of my chest. I seemed to have turned the corner of that hopefully as I am feeling better now.

I haven't tried anything except room temperature Water and trying to sip on a Decaf tea now. My Doctor suggests hot liquid as it forces me to sip slowly and not over do it. I was offered clear chicken broth and Jell-O but couldn't stomach the thought of trying them.

Anyway I'm excited for this new journey and thank you all again for getting somewhat prepared.

16 minutes ago, jb1809 said:

First time poster long time lurker.. I want to thank everyone who does post as you provided me with a great deal of information!!

I was just sleeved yesterday and I'm sitting here in the hospital hoping to be released later today.

I am really have alot of nausea issues and acid reflux issues. I have been given medicine for both of those issues with limited success.

I had some soreness accociated with the incision but it wasn't necessary a pain.. except when I first got out of bed to walk!

Hardest part for me last night was dealing with the gas pains in the center of my chest. I seemed to have turned the corner of that hopefully as I am feeling better now.

I haven't tried anything except room temperature Water and trying to sip on a Decaf tea now. My Doctor suggests hot liquid as it forces me to sip slowly and not over do it. I was offered clear chicken broth and Jell-O but couldn't stomach the thought of trying them.

Anyway I'm excited for this new journey and thank you all again for getting somewhat prepared.

WELCOME AND YOU CAN DO THIS ITS NOT EASY HOWEVER THE REWARD IS WELL WORTH THE FIGHT AND MENTAL STRUGGLE CONGRATS ON YOUR NEW TOOL FOR SUCCESS

Congratulations! It sounds like your recovery is right on track if not better than most. I hope the reflux issue was only temporary and was resolved. Good luck with the rest of your recovery 👍🏻

Good luck Dana.. feeling alot better now thank you

I couldn't drink the hot broth or Jello in the hospital either - the thought of them made me gag. I was so happy to have Water with Crystal light while in the hospital when I was finally allowed to have liquids - it was the best taste ever! Good luck on your weight loss journey.

Thank you GradyCat.. I feel the same way I have no desire to try the Jello or the broth. I'll play it by ear when I get home. I just want to make sure my nausea issues are gone. Also I have some really bad acid reflux but I definitely feel better than I did last night. My biggest concern is making sure I get my Water intake up and I want to try to get my Protein up via shakes.

Sounds exactly how I was feeling at that point (except I was vomiting/having dry heaves too). I assure you - it’s gets better fast!! By day 3 no more vomiting. By day 4 no more heartburn (at one point I thought I was having a heart attack) and by the end of the first week I was tired but feeling overall pretty good! And every day I felt a little better than the day before. Good luck!! 👍

try roasted chicken Better than Bullion. it is so much better! they have a veggie broth too.

Just wanted to thank everyone again and also do a little update. I am now Day 3 post op and feeling great. Acid reflux issue has been resolved (on omeprazole xr 40mg for 30 days). Nausea has been resolved. I have some soreness around the surgery sites but I walked 2 miles yesterday post op day 2 plan doing another 2 miles today.

I did not meet my Water requirement yesterday (Post op day 2) but hope to do it today. I just had 4oz of a Protein Shake (Premier Protein Vanilla) and feel pretty good. Just have to learn to take it slow. Sip & wait.. them sip some more. I have had zero feelings of hunger which absolutely amazes me.

Looking forward to tackling this challenge and its great to see I'm not alone. Thanks again all!!!

6 minutes ago, jb1809 said:

I did not meet my Water requirement yesterday (Post op day 2) but hope to do it today. I just had 4oz of a Protein Shake (Premier Protein Vanilla) and feel pretty good. Just have to learn to take it slow. Sip & wait.. them sip some more. I have had zero feelings of hunger which absolutely amazes me.

Looking forward to tackling this challenge and its great to see I'm not alone. Thanks again all!!!

THIS was the hardest for me....still is. I am a chugger lol

The nurse gave me a bunch of 1 oz plastic shot glasses I line them up and set a timer on my phone and have 1 every 8 mins. I assume this will get better over time and it wont be as much work. I am definitely a chugger too. This morning I woke up and was very thirsty I started to drink some Gatorade Zero and had to stop myself.

5 minutes ago, Avery's Mom said:

THIS was the hardest for me....still is. I am a chugger lol

Believe it or not, I am nearly 7 months out And I still do it. Only difference, you know the tiny Condiments like sometimes they put in with salads to hold the dressings? Found out that they measure 2 oz, so bought a bag from Wal-Mart, not very expensive at all, I use them for my fluids at home, drink every 10-15 minutes the 2 oz and it's an easy peasy way to get way over the 64 oz minimum. But in , have a wonderful healing up from your surgery and happy to have you as a Bariatric Sibling!😝🍀🎁😝

18 minutes ago, Frustr8 said:

Believe it or not, I am nearly 7 months out And I still do it. Only difference, you know the tiny Condiments like sometimes they put in with salads to hold the dressings? Found out that they measure 2 oz, so bought a bag from Wal-Mart, not very expensive at all, I use them for my fluids at home, drink every 10-15 minutes the 2 oz and it's an easy peasy way to get way over the 64 oz minimum. But in , have a wonderful healing up from your surgery and happy to have you as a Bariatric Sibling!😝🍀🎁😝

I'm hoping today I can get over 40oz of Water plus an 11.5 oz Premier Protein shake but will see. Thank you for the well wishes and info.