Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Atelectasis after surgery?

Hi everyone I had VSG surgery on 3/14/19 and it was horrible! I regret having this surgery. I winded up seeing that my left lung partially collapsed. My surgeon called me and said I'm fine. I have 50/50 with my breathing I am trying not to be so anxious about this but I can't help it I'm trying everything to get better. Anything I should do then relax? Please help

Sent from my moto g(6) play using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm so sorry that this surgery complication happened to you and wish you the best in your recovery.

Atelectasis, or a partial lung collapse is a known complication of general anesthesia. It could happen with ANY surgery and is not specific to bariatric surgery. That's one of the big reasons we have to do that incentive spirometer.

Do your incentive spirometer as directed in your post-op instructions. Make sure you're communicating with your doctor with your symptoms.

Atelectasis, or a partial lung collapse is a known complication of general anesthesia. It could happen with ANY surgery and is not specific to bariatric surgery. That's one of the big reasons we have to do that incentive spirometer.
Do your incentive spirometer as directed in your post-op instructions. Make sure you're communicating with your doctor with your symptoms.
Thank You for your advice I really appreciate it, it was found on March 6 day of Pretesting. I'm doing my exercises like clockwork. Ty again you made my anxiety much less now

42 minutes ago, vsgafter40 said:

Thank You for your advice I really appreciate it, it was found on March 6 day of Pretesting. I'm doing my exercises like clockwork. Ty again you made my anxiety much less now

You're welcome. I think we all go through a bit of panic or buyers remorse in the first days/weeks post-op and it sure doesn't help if you've had any complications. This one is pretty easily treated. Stay active, do your incentive spirometer and it will pass.

1 hour ago, vsgafter40 said:

Wait. They found it pre-surgery?

17 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

Wait. They found it pre-surgery?

I thought the same thing after thinking about this. I wonder why the doctor proceeded with surgery knowing you had atelectasis. That seems VERY questionable @vsgafter40.

IKR? No way would they go into surgery with that would they?!! I'm betting it's just a typo.

Holy crap and they still did surgery!?! I'd be in that surgeon's office every day until they told me specifically what I do to get better AFTER they operated on me with an existing collapsed lung! I'd want pulmonary therapy, drugs, whatevs to make sure I didn't get pneumonia!

I am seriously surprised they did the surgery. very scary.

well I have read all above and am really sorry you experienced this complication. I guess they would have weighed the pros and cons before going into the theatre. If I may ask did they tell you that you were more in jeopardy with the weight plus this existing lung complication?

Atelectasis is not a collapsed lung. It is simply the alveoli (small air sacs) are closed. It can occur anytime we are not taking deep breaths. Many people with sedentary lifestyles or jobs have this constantly. As mentioned before the incentive spirometer will help as well as some sort of p.e.p. therapy. If not available, simply inhaling slowly until lungs are at maximum capacity and then slowly exhaling 8-10 times every couple of hours will work.