Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pureed Stage + No Meats?? Gastric Sleeve Patient

Hi everyone! I am almost two weeks post op and am about to start stage two of the post op diet (pureed foods). I am having a super hard time finding pretty much anything I can eat. My first week with liquids was very difficult. I was in a ton of pain and literally could not stomach anything at all. Even Water had me in tears. Because of that, I couldn't get my daily liquids and Proteins easily. I have lost 26 pounds so far but I'm worried that a lot of it is because I have sort of been malnourished the last few weeks. :( Anyway, I am starting my puree diet on Monday and am really down because I feel there is nothing to eat besides Soup. Also, my surgeon says I am not to eat ANY type of meat until I finish all stages of my post op diet. I thought that this was just the way I had to do it but every time I do my research, watch my favorite youtubers, or communicate with people who have done the surgery with another surgeon, they all tell me they eat meat but depending on the stage, puree it down. Does anyone know why I have to stay off meats for so long? I am extremely diligent and always have been. I haven't cheated and don't plan to, but I am really trying to push for motivation and I need some help. What is there to eat on the pureed stage? And do you know why I wouldn't be able to eat meat? Any help and advice would be great!

Little info about me:

My name is Tess, 25 years old, 5'4", struggled with weight all my life, really want to give myself the opportunity for a healthier and happier future

Thanks!

Edited by telkhate
Added my name

For the purée stage, I had lots of dairy like low fat yoghurt (no fruit bits) and custard, and puréed fruit and veg.

With the meat issue, it’s best to follow what your doctor says.

tuna or most fish is good

My best friend since surgery is Protein Drinks made with almond milk , frozen banana and pure Protein Powder and PB powder . Every day about 200 calories and 35g of Protein makes sure I get my nutrition . Yogurt , cottage cheese and spinach / egg fills in the gap and at 8 weeks out I still can’t eat too much real food , but get a little meat , veg and potatoes down . I don’t count on it for my nutritional needs completely yet

pureed meat kind of sucks. So, I'm not sure I'd dwell on the meat thing until you're finished with your stages.

You have a lot of choices to get your Protein in and there's nothing wrong with continuing a Protein Shake or 2 a day. I know I did until I was able to transition to a regular diet. I started every day with one. I didn't have any actual meat until the soft stage, at which point I had some tuna.

Think of the pureed stage as whatever a baby could eat. No chunks. I ate cottage cheese, ricotta cheese, yogurt, lightly scrambled eggs (overcooked gets rubbery), refried Beans, and SF applesauce during my pureed stage. That's in addition to all the stages that came before it: Clear Liquids and full liquids.

By the time I was done with pureed, I was kind of "done" with the dairy and was glad to be starting on the soft food phase where I could have a wider variety.

I ate a lot of refried beans; sometimes to change up the taste I put some taco seasoning in. I also used a manual food chopper to cut up canned green Beans really small, then I kind of smashed them up. Baby food was on my list of foods but I never tried it.

For the purée stage, I had lots of dairy like low fat yoghurt (no fruit bits) and custard, and puréed fruit and veg.

With the meat issue, it’s best to follow what your doctor says.
Thank you for the response! Yeah, I'm definitely following my doctor...I'm just trying to make sure I have enough Protein and I honestly really hate premier protein...I just dont have a liking for it. But I'm still tryin.

Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app

tuna or most fish is good
Yeah I want it so badly but my doctor wont allow it until soft foods!

I ate a lot of refried beans; sometimes to change up the taste I put some taco seasoning in. I also used a manual food chopper to cut up canned green Beans really small, then I kind of smashed them up. Baby food was on my list of foods but I never tried it.
That's very good to know, thank you! Were there other beans you preferred as well? I am so excited to be on the puree stage but I know I'll have to watch carb intake as well.

Yep, its kinda gross. I was allowed meat in my pureed stage, but after trying purreed chicken, I was totally fine with waiting another 2 weeks for soft food stage to eat it in its natural form.
During pureed I was eating plain greek yogurt, thicker/creamier Soups, eggs, cottage cheese and of course, protien shakes (I didnt really purée anything, except for the dreaded chicken fail that I tasted and spat out).
That's good to know that I'm not really missing out! Pureed meat does sound gross. I just need to get in more Protein and the Protein Shakes are absolutely awful...I'm still finding my right one. For the eggs and cheese...did you scramble the eggs and eat them normal? And what cheeses did you eat? Thanks!!

pureed meat kind of sucks. So, I'm not sure I'd dwell on the meat thing until you're finished with your stages.
You have a lot of choices to get your Protein in and there's nothing wrong with continuing a Protein Shake or 2 a day. I know I did until I was able to transition to a regular diet. I started every day with one. I didn't have any actual meat until the soft stage, at which point I had some tuna.< br> Think of the pureed stage as whatever a baby could eat. No chunks. I ate cottage cheese, ricotta cheese, yogurt, lightly scrambled eggs (overcooked gets rubbery), refried Beans, and SF applesauce during my pureed stage. That's in addition to all the stages that came before it: clear liquids and full liquids.
By the time I was done with pureed, I was kind of "done" with the dairy and was glad to be starting on the soft food phase where I could have a wider variety.
That's reassuring that I'm not missing out on pureed meats...I'm just having a super hard time with Protein Shakes. It's been tough..the sweet taste and consistency makes me nauseous so I'm trying to find alternatives.. did you puree the ricotta and cottage cheese? Thanks for the response!

6 minutes ago, telkhate said:

That's very good to know, thank you! Were there other Beans you preferred as well? I am so excited to be on the puree stage but I know I'll have to watch carb intake as well.

I just looked at my notes. At the puree stage, I was allowed hummus, tuna (I ate the lemon-pepper flavor in the packet), unsweetened applesauce, mashed potatoes with fat free gravy, mashed cauliflower, moist meatloaf made with ground turkey, minced pork with gravy (I put that in the food chopper with the green beans), scrambled eggs, greek yogurt (Oikos Triple Zero is a good choice), cooked carrots (I put that in the food chopper with the meatloaf and a little fat free gravy). Good luck!

For purées I did homemade refried Beans, deviled egg salad, cottage cheese, yogurt, and ricotta marinaira bites. I had my 3 1/2 week post op a few days ago and begged my doc to be able to add chicken because I was worried about protien too. On my plan they don’t want us to do protien shakes because they want us to get protien from foods instead so I was really concerned. My NUT told me that at this stage they are not expecting me to hit my protien goal yet so that made me feel a little better.

18 hours ago, telkhate said:

did you puree the ricotta and cottage cheese

I did not puree either of these. Ate them as they are, straight from the container. Oh, and if you're tired of the sweet things and dying for something savory, there are savory Protein drinks out there. My go-to was Unjury chicken Soup. It's high in sodium, but it's a welcome change from the sweet milkshakes. Unjury just came out with a Santa Fe Chili. I got a sample packet in my last order, but haven't tried it.

I hate that whey Protein flavour too. Have very sensitive taste. How do you get on with milk? I had 300ml semi-skim or 1% with 30g skim milk powder and no added sugar milkshake flavor or Decaf coffee espresso shot. Sipped over time

That combo gives approx 22g protein and counts towards Fluid intake. At this stage sounds like any way to keep you nourished is the right idea.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk