Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm really worried about hair loss myself. My hair has always been my blanket. No matter how fat I was growing up, I was always complimented on my hair lol

I wrote down a few suggestions mentioned on another thread. The main one that stood out to me was "biotin" (sp?) which I haven't been able to find yet. I desperately want to prevent Hair loss but some say you can't.

You should read the main thread on this topic and the poll. They say that the Hair loss occurs between the 3rd and 11th month after surgery. Majority said they didn't experience any hair loss I think but there were still high numbers of people who did (25 or 50% hair loss).

I've heard you can get hairloss 3-6 months after a major trauma such as surgery, a big move, divorce, that kind of thing. I know I lost a lot of hair about that time after our big move, and then it grew back. That's the reason I think people lose their hair with this surgery, maybe along with not getting enough Protein.< /p>

You can get Biotin at Whole Foods for sure, try health food stores.

Linda

Two of my friends who got banded last year each had a different experience. One was not eating hardly at all. She would go two days with no food and she wasn't eating Protein hardly. She had major hairloss and ended up shaving her head at one point, which didn't bug her because she was into this goth/skin head type thing. The other followed the diet well, drinks Protein Shakes and eats several small meals a day and she has had no Hair loss problems. So, I think it really depends on the protein intake and eating... Good luck.

I'm 3 months from surgery and just starting to have Hair loss, I've followed the Protein and other instructions to the letter, but I'm having hair loss. Just started taking Biotin hoping it will help, I got it at W-mart. My hair dresser told me today I should have started taking it when I had surgery, taking it after it starts doesn't help much.

I NEVER lost any hair.

For me, it has to do with fats. I've lost hair 2 times in my life--during the time I did Herbalife and then when I had gallstones and had to wait until I had my baby to get my gall bladder taken out. They had me on a zero fat diet and my hair was falling out in droves.

Sometimes when my hair starts feeling dry I notice that I start craving avocados like crazy so I'll eat a bunch of them. My hair always regains it's luster after I do that, as do my fingernails.

I know that everyone's body is different, but for bandsters it has more to do with some sort of food we aren't eating as we don't have malabsorption.

So I have PCOS - one of the side effects is male pattern baldness - and I'm a woman - not nice to have baldness! So I've been taking different things over the years. Here is what I do on a daily basis. Does it work? Who knows for sure. If I stopped taking it I'd hate to see my hair fall out more. All I know is it did thin quite a bit from stress during a move, and now it is growing back in.

Nioxin Shampoo and conditioner, nioxin leave-in treatment, daily Vitamin, Biotin (1 capsule/day from Whole Foods), and even before this lapband I drank Protein Shakes to get in added Protein.

I've also heard having your hair in a pony tail a LOT can create stress on the folicle and can make some hair fall out that way too. Since I heard that I try not to wear pony tails too much!

I NEVER lost any hair.

For me, it has to do with fats. I've lost hair 2 times in my life--during the time I did Herbalife and then when I had gallstones and had to wait until I had my baby to get my gall bladder taken out. They had me on a zero fat diet and my hair was falling out in droves.

Sometimes when my hair starts feeling dry I notice that I start craving avocados like crazy so I'll eat a bunch of them. My hair always regains it's luster after I do that, as do my fingernails.

I know that everyone's body is different, but for bandsters it has more to do with some sort of food we aren't eating as we don't have malabsorption.

Good point. I forgot I also take a fish oil supplement.

In one of the other forums a bander shared that her doctor recommended for her to Shampoo her hair daily with Head and Shoulder dandruff shampoo.

Do you know why dandruff shampoo was recommended? Just curious because I don't want to go bald or start losing hair (a paralyzing fear of mine living with PCOS), and I normally don't like buying products from companies that test on animals. Maybe there is some sort of ingredient in H&S that could be in an organic, animal-friendly product?

If you don't know, do you remember which thread it was under? Thanks for your help, Sunshiny, and for the valuable info that you've shared!

Lindata, I just got to your posts on this thread. I didn't know you were a fellow PCOS-er! Thanks for sharing your beauty regiment! I hadn't thought of the damage from wearing one's hair in a pony tail. Good call!

Do you know why dandruff Shampoo was recommended? Just curious because I don't want to go bald or start losing hair (a paralyzing fear of mine living with PCOS), and I normally don't like buying products from companies that test on animals. Maybe there is some sort of ingredient in H&S that could be in an organic, animal-friendly product?

If you don't know, do you remember which thread it was under? Thanks for your help, Sunshiny, and for the valuable info that you've shared!

Tish: http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f17/went-dermatologist-hair-loss-45447/