Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February 2019 weight loss buds

2 hours ago, Rocketman said:

Seems like I’ve got some minor ulcer symptoms. The last couple weeks I’ve felt a dull ache under my sternum intermittently. It would get worse on days when I didn’t eat regularly. I decided to take my Zegerid to see if that helped... sure enough no pain nearly immediate relief. Logical explication is some ulceration being irritated by the minimal amount of stomach acid in the pouch, which is exasperated if I don’t eat. I was initially worried it could be gall stones.... anyways I’ve got a follow up with the surgeon Monday, and will run it all by him to make sure no additional precautions are necessary. Figured I’d fill you guys in.... I feel great, gym time has been amazing, and couldn’t b happier.

Rocketman--please let me know what your surgeon says. I'm not sure if I'm dealing with an ulcer or heartburn/GERD. I have started taking the acid reducer again and it has helped a little, but I'm curious what your doc has to say in differentiating what might symptoms of an ulcer vs. GERD. I have the ache in the same place that varies in intensity. Thanks!

13 hours ago, SleevednowAK said:

I’d hate to be too specific but the southern dumping for me was painful stomach cramping that is very similar to when you have a stomach bug/really have to go but are stuck in traffic kind of misery. I was sweating bullets, in tears at some points and needed to stay near my bathroom to on safe side rest of the evening. Since surgery, I’ve only experience vomiting dumping once after eating baked mahi mahi tuna. I barely could vomit and there was dry heaving but I’d take that over the other end any day. Forgive me Feb buddies if my description is too graphic. I’m really worried I won’t be able to enjoy my favorites (Alaska raised) like halibut or copper river red salmon😩.....too afraid to even try any fish at this point and now I’m going to add salad to the “forbidden” list. At least until 3 full months postop.

Thanks for sharing. I can't believe how much I've been discussing my bodily functions with my family since the surgery. I have yet to have "southern dumping" but I've had the nausea and dry heaving and yes, the profuse sweating. Not fun! I would start off with a white, flaky fish. I have had tilapia a few times (just a few bites) and had no problem. Has anyone had steak yet (very tender, like filet)? If so, did it stay down?

I’ve had steak a couple of times, just an oz each time and it was fine. I had Rib Eye but I bet Filet would be even better. I was careful about chewing and didn’t have any issues.

I’ve had beef fajitas, cooked on the grill. So tender, so yummy. Sat really well in my tummy.

I have also had a small piece of steak. My stomach accepted it great. I only ate an ounce but it was a good ounce.
I’m also always looking for new Protein sources. I just tried this for lunch. It’s available at Walmart. So delicious! I could only eat 2 pieces and 4 is a serving.

image-0.00298023223876953.jpg

2 hours ago, Gottajustdoit said:

Rocketman--please let me know what your surgeon says. I'm not sure if I'm dealing with an ulcer or heartburn/GERD. I have started taking the acid reducer again and it has helped a little, but I'm curious what your doc has to say in differentiating what might symptoms of an ulcer vs. GERD. I have the ache in the same place that varies in intensity. Thanks!

I’ve lived with gerd for nearly 20 years, I’m 36 now... this, in my case, is not gerd. this is a pain that I’ve never experienced before. It’s very similar to the dull pain that happens when the pouch is full, except it’s consistent even when I don’t eat. It’s not an unbearable pain, i is definitely not incapacitating, it only prevents me from having any true appetite, and sort of makes me feel bloated. I’m no doctor, but seems the most common complication of gastric bypass is ulceration sat either the stapled area, or where the small intestine is connected to the pouch. I’m sure the dr will most likely take precautions and have me go back on Zegerid daily, ( Zegerid is the best btw). It’s OTC now, I recommend you try it, basically it’s Prilosec with sodium bicarbonate ( baking soda). The sodium bicarbonate neutralizes any acid present immediately, and the prilosec does what it normally does, and prevents the acid from coming back. If you take that, and your pain goes away, most likely you’ve got an ulcer.

but.... from everything I’ve researched, tests need to be done to diagnose and treat these ulcers correctly, so go see your surgeon as soon as you can, and explain it to them. Don’t take my word as gospel.

I’ve had steak for a few weeks now. As long as I remember to chew thoroughly it’s never been a problem.
Tonight we are making stir fry from leftover pork and adding some bok choy and Water chestnuts.

Mmmm What time is dinner? 😊

3 hours ago, Rocketman said:

I’ve lived with gerd for nearly 20 years, I’m 36 now... this, in my case, is not gerd. this is a pain that I’ve never experienced before. It’s very similar to the dull pain that happens when the pouch is full, except it’s consistent even when I don’t eat. It’s not an unbearable pain, i is definitely not incapacitating, it only prevents me from having any true appetite, and sort of makes me feel bloated. I’m no doctor, but seems the most common complication of gastric bypass is ulceration sat either the stapled area, or where the small intestine is connected to the pouch. I’m sure the dr will most likely take precautions and have me go back on Zegerid daily, ( Zegerid is the best btw). It’s OTC now, I recommend you try it, basically it’s Prilosec with sodium bicarbonate ( baking soda). The sodium bicarbonate neutralizes any acid present immediately, and the prilosec does what it normally does, and prevents the acid from coming back. If you take that, and your pain goes away, most likely you’ve got an ulcer.

but.... from everything I’ve researched, tests need to be done to diagnose and treat these ulcers correctly, so go see your surgeon as soon as you can, and explain it to them. Don’t take my word as gospel.

Thanks, Rocketman. I'll look into it at my next appointment if the pain persists. If so, I'll ask my doc about Zegerid.

So late lunch today as I’m working on painting a spare room to get it ready to be a guest room.
It’s a little skimpy on Protein, but the hot pickle, olives and Kim cheek is delish

On 4/13/2019 at 3:57 PM, Sheribear68 said:

So late lunch today as I’m working on painting a spare room to get it ready to be a guest room.
It’s a little skimpy on Protein, but the hot pickle, olives and Kim cheek is delish

YUM. I was happy to see olives. My new snack is olives. I have found them in individual servings of 80 calories, no carbs (but no Protein either). I like the green ones, but they have black ones too. I think they provide the salty taste I'm looking for and they are good for you!

Just wanted to share this video with you. It is a good representation of what happens to the pouch when you drink with or right after meals. No bueno!

That's such a great explanation and visual! What also happens to me is it helps to give me the slimies. ugh. I'm really really trying to be mindful of not drinking when I eat!

Not drinking with meals is one of the most difficult things for me. I get incredibly thirsty before and after meals, and I was a Water gulper before surgery. However, I'm following the rules and being careful to allow at least 30 minutes on each side (even though my surgeon said 15 minutes was good enough).

On 4/14/2019 at 6:06 PM, Gottajustdoit said:

YUM. I was happy to see olives. My new snack is olives. I have found them in individual servings of 80 calories, no carbs (but no Protein either). I like the green ones, but they have black ones too. I think they provide the salty taste I'm looking for and they are good for you!

Sheribear, your meals inspire me! I get really bored with basic Protein three times a day, and things like olives (love them!) and blue cheese crumbles could really help. I did try nuts for the first time yesterday (6 weeks out) and they did not agree with me. I didn't dump, but I was pretty queasy for a couple of hours.

Group--what are you thoughts on sugar-free candy? For the past several weeks I have had about 4 to 5 sugar-free hard candies during the day. I know they contain sugar alcohols and I am wondering if any of your NUTs have advised against them. They satisfy me between meals and when I feel like I want to eat out of boredom (not hunger). They are a quick fix for me in these situations. I have no issue with a laxative effect as I'm only eating a few. Thoughts?

Edited by Gottajustdoit