Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Gain After Approval

Hi all! My surgery is next month and my pre-op appointment is tomorrow. I've gained a few pounds since my last weigh-in a couple months ago. Did any of you gain weight after approval? If so, did it matter? My pre-op appointment is tomorrow, so I'll find out then but I wanted to check in with everyone here to see if anyone else experienced this.

Thanks for your response :) My surgery isn't until next month, so I know that after the pre-op diet I'll definitely be below what I was at my final weight-in. I was maintaining, but I've had a rough few days (death in the family), so I've gotten a little off track.

I gained weight at one point, my first surgeon was not happy but they understood because like you it was around the holidays, my dad was gone, had to put my dog down, etc. I gained a few pounds but they understood and the next month I took those pounds off. When I went to my second surgeon (first one got shut down by the health system to no fault of her own) the process was so fast that I did not gain anything the entire time. They started and finished in a few months. I would not push the process or the point and would get on track with your weight loss, I know this is going to sound absolutely crazy but at over a year out, I see how easy it is to loose track of what you are eating, and if you do not keep your eye on the prize the surgery will not matter. If you don't keep working out and watching what you eat, it is VERY possible to overeat by grazing and eating high calorie foods. Surgery is just a tool that you use, what you do with that tool is entirely up to you. Good luck and I wish you well, I know you have this and can do it!!😁

31 minutes ago, Bhageerah said:

I gained weight at one point, my first surgeon was not happy but they understood because like you it was around the holidays, my dad was gone, had to put my dog down, etc. I gained a few pounds but they understood and the next month I took those pounds off. When I went to my second surgeon (first one got shut down by the health system to no fault of her own) the process was so fast that I did not gain anything the entire time. They started and finished in a few months. I would not push the process or the point and would get on track with your weight loss, I know this is going to sound absolutely crazy but at over a year out, I see how easy it is to loose track of what you are eating, and if you do not keep your eye on the prize the surgery will not matter. If you don't keep working out and watching what you eat, it is VERY possible to overeat by grazing and eating high calorie foods. Surgery is just a tool that you use, what you do with that tool is entirely up to you. Good luck and I wish you well, I know you have this and can do it!!😁

Yeah, I definitely get what you mean :) I'm back on track with my eating today, but my pre-op appointment is tomorrow so the few pounds that I've gained over the past week (even though I'm sure much of it is Water weight) will show up on the scale.< /span>

Yes, I did. The results of the pre-surgery liquid diet were losing the weight I’d gained after my paperwork was completed and submitted to the insurance company (submitted in August, approved in September, but I didn’t have the surgery until December). As I recall, my last appointment with the surgeon was on a Friday, and my surgery was on a Wednesday, and I gained a pound or two in the meantime due to not adhering rigidly to the diet, but no one batted an eyelash when they weighed me at the hospital when I checked in for the surgery.

Good Luck on your Journey!

48 minutes ago, abefroman329 said:

Yes, I did. The results of the pre-surgery liquid diet were losing the weight I’d gained after my paperwork was completed and submitted to the insurance company (submitted in August, approved in September, but I didn’t have the surgery until December). As I recall, my last appointment with the surgeon was on a Friday, and my surgery was on a Wednesday, and I gained a pound or two in the meantime due to not adhering rigidly to the diet, but no one batted an eyelash when they weighed me at the hospital when I checked in for the surgery.

Thanks for sharing! I'm hoping that since I still have to do the pre-op diet that it won't be a big deal. I was on track yesterday and am down 2 of the pounds I gained over the last week, so we'll se how today goes :)

I was sweating bullets because I knew I had gained a few pounds over the Thanksgiving Holidays after my approval. Between the holiday and a couple of "Last Meals" I had put back on about 5 pounds but I had lost 20 in my 3 month weight loss period. He came in and started off by pointing out the weight gain and asked what was up. I told him and he was cool with it and said I would lose those 5 and several more after my 2 week Clear Liquids pre-op phase so it wasn't a huge deal to him. Btw, I not only lost those 5 but an additional 10!

3 hours ago, Brenttx said:

I was sweating bullets because I knew I had gained a few pounds over the Thanksgiving Holidays after my approval. Between the holiday and a couple of "Last Meals" I had put back on about 5 pounds but I had lost 20 in my 3 month weight loss period. He came in and started off by pointing out the weight gain and asked what was up. I told him and he was cool with it and said I would lose those 5 and several more after my 2 week Clear Liquids pre-op phase so it wasn't a huge deal to him. Btw, I not only lost those 5 but an additional 10!

That's kind of how my appointment went today! They mentioned it briefly, but then moved on to talk about the pre-op diet. Looks like I was worried over nothing :)