Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For those who have PCOS

Hi everyone! I went to an endocrinologist today and just wanted to tell how it went. Of course, they want to do a bunch of blood work. I'm not looking forward to that. Anyway, she prescribed me Spironolactone for my hair growth and acne. I found this on the web:

What treatments are available for polycystic ovarian syndrome?

For acne or excess Hair growth, a Water pill (diuretic) called spironolactone may be prescribed to help reverse these problems. The use of spironolactone requires occasional monitoring of blood tests because of its potential effect on the blood potassium levels and kidney function.

My question is, has anyone ever used this pill and has it helped with the acne and hair growth? Thanks.

Hi everyone! I went to an endocrinologist today and just wanted to tell how it went. Of course, they want to do a bunch of blood work. I'm not looking forward to that. Anyway, she prescribed me Spironolactone for my hair growth and acne. I found this on the web:

For acne or excess Hair growth, a Water pill (diuretic) called spironolactone may be prescribed to help reverse these problems. The use of spironolactone requires occasional monitoring of blood tests because of its potential effect on the blood potassium levels and kidney function.

My question is, has anyone ever used this pill and has it helped with the acne and hair growth? Thanks.

I have been on Spironolactone off and on for 7 years. To be honest, I never noticed much change. I never had bad acne. I mean, I still break out but it's never been so severe. And as for the hair growth...I guess it did slow down the new hair growth. But the hair that's already there, is there for good. Yay! Lucky us. Every body is different. But again, maybe I didn't have great success because it's been an off and on sort of thing...mostly because I have only one kidney so the doctors aren't thrilled to keep me on it.

Congrats on going to the doctor...it's nice to visit an endocrinologist who is familiar with our battle! Best of luck to you! Let us know how the medicine works for you!

I've never tried spiro, but I've heard that it is a very common drug used to treat the symptoms of PCOS.

Honestly, the only thing that helped my acne was going on birth control. I even tried Accutane before that, and while it did get rid of the very worst of the cystic acne that I had, it didn't do as much as it should have, considering that it is used as a last-ditch acne medication (it has some rather nasty possible side effects). It probably didn't help, though, that my doc had to keep lowering my dosage because my liver function shot up when I was on a regular dose. That crap was expensive, too. The first month cost me over $1200 out of pocket.

Well, actually, I have to ammend that statement. Proactiv actually really helped, too. I went on BC and Proactiv at the same time, and my skin cleared up beautifully. I mean, I still have some acne (mostly blackheads and random zits), but it is SO much better than it was.

With the excess hair, the only thing that's worked for me is laser treatment. I just had my first treatment on the 19th, and I can already see a major difference. Of course, I have very fair skin and extremely dark, coarse hair (think chin-pubes), so it might not work as well on people who are darker skinned or have lighter hair.

<p>I was on spirolactone for years and I saw a great improvement in my excess hair. I had hair all over my forehead when I was a kid and the spirolactone took care of it. Now it works too good, because I am seeing more Hair loss than I want and my hair is starting to thin. I have discontinued the med per doctors orders (I saw the loss prior to banding so my hairloss is not from lack of Protein but the drug alone.) I am seeing an improvement since getting off the drug.</p>

May I ask what pcos is?
PCOS is Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. It's basically a condition where women have an abnormal level of androgens (male hormones), caused by cysts forming on the ovaries. Well, that's the short and dirty version of it, anyway. :D It can cause lots of very irritating problems, such as male-pattern Hair loss, Hair growth in unwanted areas, acne, infertility due to not ovulating, excess weight, etc.

I have been on Spironolactone off and on for 7 years. To be honest, I never noticed much change. I never had bad acne. I mean, I still break out but it's never been so severe. And as for the hair growth...I guess it did slow down the new Hair growth. But the hair that's already there, is there for good. Yay! Lucky us. Every body is different. But again, maybe I didn't have great success because it's been an off and on sort of thing...mostly because I have only one kidney so the doctors aren't thrilled to keep me on it.

Congrats on going to the doctor...it's nice to visit an endocrinologist who is familiar with our battle! Best of luck to you! Let us know how the medicine works for you!

Thanks for all the info. I hope this medicine will at least make the hair growth bearable. It's so frustrating and embarrassing. I think the weight loss will help more than anything. Thanks again.

I've never tried spiro, but I've heard that it is a very common drug used to treat the symptoms of PCOS.

Honestly, the only thing that helped my acne was going on birth control. I even tried Accutane before that, and while it did get rid of the very worst of the cystic acne that I had, it didn't do as much as it should have, considering that it is used as a last-ditch acne medication (it has some rather nasty possible side effects). It probably didn't help, though, that my doc had to keep lowering my dosage because my liver function shot up when I was on a regular dose. That crap was expensive, too. The first month cost me over $1200 out of pocket.

Well, actually, I have to ammend that statement. Proactiv actually really helped, too. I went on BC and Proactiv at the same time, and my skin cleared up beautifully. I mean, I still have some acne (mostly blackheads and random zits), but it is SO much better than it was.

With the excess hair, the only thing that's worked for me is laser treatment. I just had my first treatment on the 19th, and I can already see a major difference. Of course, I have very fair skin and extremely dark, coarse hair (think chin-pubes), so it might not work as well on people who are darker skinned or have lighter hair.

Hey Laurend! The Endo did not want to put me on BC because I have been having a regular period since losing weight. The acne isn't nearly as bad as the facial hair. So I am hoping this medicine will at least minimize some of the hair or make it a little more bearable. My facial hair sounds exactly like yours. I have fair skin and very dark, course hair or chin-pubes if you will.

Thanks for the tip on Proactive. I have seen the commercials on TV and heard that it works, so it's nice to hear from someone that confirms it. I think I may give it a try. I will eventually get the laser hair removal done, but I can't afford it right now. Thanks for the info.

I was on spirolactone for years and I saw a great improvement in my excess hair. I had hair all over my forehead when I was a kid and the spirolactone took care of it. Now it works too good, because I am seeing more Hair loss than I want and my hair is starting to thin. I have discontinued the med per doctors orders (I saw the loss prior to banding so my hairloss is not from lack of Protein but the drug alone.) I am seeing an improvement since getting off the drug.

Hey Jfran! I'm glad to hear that you did see an improvement. I would never know, by looking at your most recent photo, that you ever had a hair problem or skin problem. Your complexion looks so good. I was also worried about losing the hair on my head. So far (knock on wood), I haven't had any hair thinning. I have very thick, dark hair and I hope it stays that way. Thanks again and congrats on your weight loss!

Hey Laurend! The Endo did not want to put me on BC because I have been having a regular period since losing weight. The acne isn't nearly as bad as the facial hair. So I am hoping this medicine will at least minimize some of the hair or make it a little more bearable. My facial hair sounds exactly like yours. I have fair skin and very dark, course hair or chin-pubes if you will.

Thanks for the tip on Proactive. I have seen the commercials on TV and heard that it works, so it's nice to hear from someone that confirms it. I think I may give it a try. I will eventually get the laser hair removal done, but I can't afford it right now. Thanks for the info.

If you try Proactiv, I'll give you a little advance warning: It bleaches anything you get it on. I can only use it in the shower, because if I just try to wash my face at the sink, it bleaches the washcloth and towel. Plus, it can bleach the neckline of your shirts, if you wear any of your shirts very often.

If you try Proactiv, I'll give you a little advance warning: It bleaches anything you get it on. I can only use it in the shower, because if I just try to wash my face at the sink, it bleaches the washcloth and towel. Plus, it can bleach the neckline of your shirts, if you wear any of your shirts very often.

Thanks for the heads up!

I have never found relief with the man hair on my face, but retin a helped with the acne.
Seriously, try lasers. They work wonders. It's expensive, but really worth the money, IMO. Even after only one treatment, I have seen MASSIVE improvement with the hair on my neck and chin. I can't believe I waited this long to do it.

I agree with Georgia Girl. The only thing that has helped my acne/hair growth symptoms is birth control. I also take saw palmetto to offset the testosterone/dht. Theoretically, that's helping too.

Avandamet (Avandia and Metformin combo pill) was also really good- but when that started killing people, my doc pulled me off. My skin hasn't been as clear ever since.

The only thing that ever helped with my acne was going low-carb. Right now with all the Protein I'm getting in I'm finally acne-free in I don't even know how many years.