Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For those who have PCOS

Hi everyone! I have read about several women in this forum who have PCOS. I thought it would be nice to start a thread so everyone can share their stories and just talk with others who are going through the same thing. Many people are not aware of all the side effects of PCOS and the daily struggles we face. Here is the link to my story http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f18/newbie-georgia-42048/

Hope to hear from you soon!

Hi! I have PCOS. I was banded on July 3rd, and as you can see, I've lost a little less than 30 pounds so far. It's a little bit slow going, but it is coming off!

Hey Laurend!

Thanks for your reply. Looks like your weight loss is going great. Mine came off really fast at first and now it has slowed down quite a bit. Hey, I'm just happy I'm not gaining for once in my life LOL!

Hey Laurend!

Thanks for your reply. Looks like your weight loss is going great. Mine came off really fast at first and now it has slowed down quite a bit. Hey, I'm just happy I'm not gaining for once in my life LOL!

Oh yeah, very true! I'm glad for that every day!

I lost about 11 or so pounds pretty quickly after surgery, and then gained several of those back when I went back on real food. I didn't start losing again until I got decent restriction with my 2nd and 3rd fills.

Oh yeah, very true! I'm glad for that every day!

I lost about 11 or so pounds pretty quickly after surgery, and then gained several of those back when I went back on real food. I didn't start losing again until I got decent restriction with my 2nd and 3rd fills.

I know what you mean. I've had one fill and no restriction right now. Looking forward to fill #2 on Thursday.

I know what you mean. I've had one fill and no restriction right now. Looking forward to fill #2 on Thursday.
Well, I'll definitely have my fingers crossed for you, hoping that it does the trick. This is SO much easier to do when you have decent restriction.

I have been diagnosed with pcos also but the doc waited from July last year to march this year to tell me. after the ultrasound last year he was like 'you have a cyst on the ovary and a fibroid in the uterus' nothing else was mentioned until i mentioned that hubby and I wanted to have another baby and he says 'oh, then we had better get the pcos under control that is what is messing up your cycles' that and the pre diabetes and said the weight gain was causing both problems. so I went on metiformin. went from 292 in march to 278 in July for pre op and am now down to 228. my question is, does one cysts mean pcos? from what I have read it does not. but maybe I am wrong.

I have been diagnosed with pcos also but the doc waited from July last year to march this year to tell me. after the ultrasound last year he was like 'you have a cyst on the ovary and a fibroid in the uterus' nothing else was mentioned until i mentioned that hubby and I wanted to have another baby and he says 'oh, then we had better get the pcos under control that is what is messing up your cycles' that and the pre diabetes and said the weight gain was causing both problems. so I went on metiformin. went from 292 in march to 278 in July for pre op and am now down to 228. my question is, does one cysts mean pcos? from what I have read it does not. but maybe I am wrong.

I never had confirmed cysts. They just did blood work on me and decided that I had PCOS from my hormone levels, along with my appearance and the fact that the only reason I had gone to the gyno was because I hadn't had a period in 3 months. I never had a pelvic ultrasound or anything, and I was too heavy for them to get a good feel of my ovaries.

I was Dx'd with PCOS and IR in 2001, then with Diabetes in 2002. I was Dx'd after my GP put 2 and 2 together and sent me to an endo. I had a million and 2 blood tests, a pelvic exam, and an ultrasound that confirmed cysts.

Since my weight loss, I have seen a marked improvement in my symptoms. My mood swings are much better, my skin is clear, the hair growth has slowed down, and I now have a perfect 28 day cycle, and am off Metformin.

Hi gweniper! They did an ultrasound on me and I didn't have any cysts. It was confusing but apparently you can have PCOS without having cysts. PCOS probably showed up in your blood work too.

I was Dx'd with PCOS and IR in 2001, then with Diabetes in 2002. I was Dx'd after my GP put 2 and 2 together and sent me to an endo. I had a million and 2 blood tests, a pelvic exam, and an ultrasound that confirmed cysts.

Since my weight loss, I have seen a marked improvement in my symptoms. My mood swings are much better, my skin is clear, the hair growth has slowed down, and I now have a perfect 28 day cycle, and am off Metformin.

I am so glad to hear from someone who has lost all of their weight and how it has improved the symptoms. I lost some weight a few years ago and began having a regular cylcle but I stil deal with the mood swings, Hair growth, hot flashes and skin breakouts. I go to an endocrinologist at the end of this month so hopefully she will be able to help with some of the symptoms. It's encouraging to know that it can get better.

Hi everyone, I am Mindy I have had PCOS for many yrs. Unfortunately most of the meds they have to treat PCOS I can not take because they give me Migraines. So i went untreated for many many years.

I was not sure about getting banded. I thought " I cant lose weight now because of PCOS what makes me think i can lose it with the band" My doc assured me that I COULD Lose the weight . He said it might come off slow but it will come off. I have lost 44.6 pounds Since July 16th . I consider that Quick weight loss. Im averaging about 3 lbs a week . I do know that I HAVE To exersice in order for the weight to keep coming off. Even if that is just walking. I did not walk at all for 2 weeks this past few weeks and NOTHING Came off for the first time since surgery . HOWEVER I did not gain either.

I want to try to be under 200 by thanksgiving. I dont know if I will make it or not ?

Glad to see everyone.

Mindy

I am so glad to hear from someone who has lost all of their weight and how it has improved the symptoms. I lost some weight a few years ago and began having a regular cylcle but I stil deal with the mood swings, Hair growth, hot flashes and skin breakouts. I go to an endocrinologist at the end of this month so hopefully she will be able to help with some of the symptoms. It's encouraging to know that it can get better.
I can pretty much tell you what your endo will do. He/she will put you on birth control to control the hormones and clear your skin, and put you on metformin/glucophage to control insulin resistance. Oh, and they'll tell you to stay away from refined carbs (sugar, white flour, etc.) and very starchy veggies (white potatos, etc.). And of course, they will give you the ever-popular "lose weight" lecture, since that's basically the only cure for PCOS. There's not much they can do to control hair growth in weird places, unfortunately, unless you want to spend hundreds of dollars a month on methods that aren't guaranteed to work (see the Vaniqa thread in Rants and Raves).

Hi everyone, I am Mindy I have had PCOS for many yrs. Unfortunately most of the meds they have to treat PCOS I can not take because they give me Migraines. So i went untreated for many many years.

I was not sure about getting banded. I thought " I cant lose weight now because of PCOS what makes me think i can lose it with the band" My doc assured me that I COULD Lose the weight . He said it might come off slow but it will come off. I have lost 44.6 pounds Since July 16th . I consider that Quick weight loss. Im averaging about 3 lbs a week . I do know that I HAVE To exersice in order for the weight to keep coming off. Even if that is just walking. I did not walk at all for 2 weeks this past few weeks and NOTHING Came off for the first time since surgery . HOWEVER I did not gain either.

I want to try to be under 200 by thanksgiving. I dont know if I will make it or not ?

Glad to see everyone.

Mindy

If you don't make it, you'll be darn close. We'll all be rooting for you, though! :)

It's nice to meet others who have PCOS. Me and dh were trying to have a baby without success. My doctor ordered some blood test and an ultrasound and confirmed PCOS. I have been gaining weight and my insulin levels have been getting worst and very close to Type 2 diabetes.

My doctor recommended weight loss surgery to help me lose weight and to increase my chances to get pregnant, and to help control my PCOS.

My surgery date is Thursday and I am nervous.