Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For those who have PCOS

Pamela,

I was thinking the other day that we need a PCOS thread! Thanks for getting it going. I am adjusting to life with 2 babies under 1 year old, so Ihaven't been on much lately. I am eating more than I should. Can't wait for my first fill on the 20th. I too have PCOS. I will post my story later. My dh, my 8 year old and my 11month old all have a stomach virus. I have been cleaning up poop and vomit for 2 days. Our 3 week old foster son and I are the only ones not sick. Just took a break to check the boards. I am very excited about this thread. The symptoms of PCOS are a big factor in my decision to be banded. I look forward to sharing support and encouragement with you all.

Hey renewedhope!

I'm so sorry most of your family is sick. I hope they get better soon. I was thinking about you the other day, wondering how things were going for you. I feel like I am eating more than I should too. I go for an appt on Thursday and I hope to get another fill. Again, I hope your family is better soon.

Hi Chickie,

I am curious about vegetarianism. Do you eat any meat? If not, what do you eat for Protein? What do you do when you eat out? Sorry for all the questions but I am willing to do just about anything that will help with the weight loss and you are living proof that someone with PCOS can do. Thanks in advance!

No, I don't eat any red meat, chicken or fish at all. For Protein I eat eggs, cheese, TVP, Beans and nuts. I never really counted protein grams, so I couldn't say exactly how many grams a day I eat.

When I eat out I usually just order from the vegetarian section of the menu (99.95% of the places I eat at have this) And when there isn't a Vege menu to order from, there is usually something that suits me.

I didn't become vegetarian for any ethical reason (I don't have a problem with seeing other people eat meat) I was just never a big meat eater, and I found that I was eating less and less meat as time went on and just thought to myself "why not just become vegetarian?" and within a couple of weeks I had eliminated meats from my diet all together.

I am what's call and ovo-lacto vegetarian, meaning I still eat dairy, eggs and honey. There are other types of vegetarianism that are far more restrictive in what can be consumed, but I love my cheese and yoghurt, so I don't see myself becoming vegan any time soon.

Thanks Chickie! I'm not a huge meat fan either, especially since I am finding it harder to go down. I usually get frustrated with the meat and end up finding something else to eat. Thanks for answering all my questions.

PCOS shows different symptoms in different people. On ultrasound you will often find several small Fluid filled follicles or cysts. Most women only have a couple of these on each ovary and each month one cyst will become dominant and grow to be very large, thats because it is holding a maturing egg. Then at time of ovulation the cyst releases the egg and goes back down. In PCOS there are several tiny cysts which produce androgens, a type of hormone, that causes all kinds of chaos in the body (like male pattern Hair growth, insulin resistance, acne, obesity, and moodiness to name a few) and it prevents any eggs from maturing, so ovulation does not occur... and that is why periods are irregular or non existant. If you don't ovulate, then you usually won't have a period. Sometimes the uterus lining builds up so much, from lack of a period, that it will shed some of its lining... this however does not mean you ovulated. Now, some women can have "polycystic" appearing ovaries on ultrasound and not have PCOS... that's because they have no other symptoms and continue to ovulate. One single cyst doesn't mean PCOS by itself... there must be other symptoms involved. Sometimes blood work will show abnormal hormone levels and sometimes it won't. My own blood work for example is always normal, however I have the "apple shape" which is typical in PCOS and insulin resistance. I never have a spontaneous period, so I never ovulate on my own. I have no facial hair but have a heck of a time losing weight. I have one 3 year old daughter who was conceived after my 3rd IVF. I was banded in hopes of getting my periods back... aka ovulating. It's been a pretty tough road for me so far. Haven't lost much weight but I'm not giving up yet. Hopefully all this I've written makes sense and brings better understanding to someone out there. :)

Hi everyone. I too have PCOS. Great thread!

My symptoms are, drum roll, inability to lose weight and easy to gain!!, difficulty getting pregnant, male pattern baldness, major zits! ugh!

I had lost weight at one point with Atkins, got down to about 170, and was able to get pregnant. Since then I've gained about 50, we tried, and couldn't get pregnant.

I'm hoping the band can help me get the weight off because I have tried everything else and failed, failed, failed.

Chickie, as someone who has lost a lot of weight, have you seen your symptoms get better? Anyone else?

Linda

Chickie, as someone who has lost a lot of weight, have you seen your symptoms get better? Anyone else?

Hi Linda!

My symptoms are for the most part non existent at this stage. I have a perfect 28 day cycle, no issues with hair loss, no acne, my blood sugar issues have totally resolved, I have no new hair growing, and my mood swings only happen during PMS now. I feel like a "normal" woman for the first time in my life.

Sam.

I have PCOS too. I think that I have had since I was in High School, But was officially Dx. after my dtr was born. I didnt have trouble getting preggers, but the wieght kept piling on, & hair kept falling off!

My Mood swings were outrageous... to the point that my hubby & I almost spit over it...

Since being banded & w/ the help of spirlactone(SP) Things have gotten ALOT better. I tried metformin, but it caused me to gain MORE weight! My biggest was 366lbs. I am now down to 274...ALMOST the 100 LB mark!!!

I work out just about every day...I think it is time for a fill, but i am still doing it...& The thing that I am happiest about?(besides losing weight) is I can see my hair growing back!!!

I had PCOS previous to getting pregnant...I was told that I was completely infertile and that I would not be able to get pregnant for a year or two after starting treatments...lol long story short about 5 months later SURPRISE Im pregnant lol! IDK what was going on, but EVERY single cyst had disappeared. Now Im battling with my cervix and kidneys :) We are all just hoping that its not cancer (VERY small chance, but a chance nonetheless) I will know more on Dec 3

Chickie, Did you ahve abnormal Hair growth before your weight loss. I have to wax my lip and chin weekly, and I have "man hair" on my arms. I really hate all of the extra hair. I am SOOOO hoping that the weight loss will help with that?????

Chickie, Did you ahve abnormal hair growth before your weight loss. I have to wax my lip and chin weekly, and I have "man hair" on my arms. I really hate all of the extra hair. I am SOOOO hoping that the weight loss will help with that?????

Yeah, I have chin hair that drives me batty. I still have to pluck, but there is no new hair growing. The hair on my arms has gone from fairly wiry, very dark hair to light and soft.

Hello!

I have PCOS too. I have had it for 17 years, but I was diagnosed 10 years ago. I was first confirmed through blood work and just recently within the last year, I saw my polycystic ovaries on ultrasound...it is amazing how covered in cysts my ovaries are! It has been so challenging to lose weight and SO EASY to GAIN weight. People are often amazed that I can easily put on 40lbs in a month.

The lapband is helping, I think it really helped me to get that "jump start". One of the main reasons I chose to have the lapband is to be able to conceive easier and do IVF after I get to a certain weight. Of course I want to do it for my health, etc. But I was to start a family sooner than later. I am not getting any younger!!

Chickie, were you on meds before for your PCOS? If so, after you lost the weight, have you stopped taking your meds?

Chickie, were you on meds before for your PCOS? If so, after you lost the weight, have you stopped taking your meds?

Yes, I was on Metformin, but have stopped taking it. I was on Metfomin from 2001 till mid to late 2005.

I too have struggled with PCOS and was told that I am darn near infertile. I won't believe it though until I TRY to get preggers. My sister was also diagnosed and told she would not ever conceive but she now has a two year old little boy! MY nephew gives me hope, because according to doctors he should not exist. The weight gain started at about 17 and it came on really fast. I made this decision because my insulin resistance moved into diabetes earlier this year and I want to be healthy and live a long life. As for the cysts, I am used to them. Sure, they hurt but when you are in pain alot of the time, I guess your body's tolerance raises above that level. I hope to live pain free someday and oh yeah have a baby!

Okay. I just clicked on this post by accident and it's looking like I might be very glad I did. I have cysts. Several of them. They are intermittantly very painful. I have brown splotches on my face, and my facial skin went from smooth to feeling literally like sandpaper. I have a lot of soft blond hair growing on my face near my ears and upper lip. My hair became dry and brittle. I had a hysterechtomy about 3 years ago. I had tumors growing inside the walls of my uterus. I had them for some time. I had sonos and the little cameral put inside to look several times and they couldn't find anything, but my uterus was the size of a 5 month pregnancy. they didn't find the tumors until AFTER it was removed and they dissected it. Gross, I know, and I apologize. Long story short. the face stuff and the cysts I got AFTER my surgery. (I still have ovaries) I have gained massive amounts of weight, and truly don't have the eating habits that would explain this. I asked my doctor about PCOS and he frowned and said, no you don't have that. He didn't even check. He gives me hormones about once a year for 6 weeks to shrink the cysts. they go away, but ALWAYS come back. why wouldn't he check me for this? By what you all say, it sounds like what I have. Can I demand a test? I was afraid I had ovarian cancer or something. I demanded a test for that, and the doctor refused several times. He said that the tests are not very reliable for that, and if I get a false positive he will be obligated to do exploratory surgery, and he was certain I just have cysts since they shrink with hormone therapy. Are there any physicians or nurses out there that can comment on this???????

I am not in the medical field, so this may not be accurate, but I think PCOS, as a syndrome, can't be tested per se. It's just if you have a bunch of the symptoms, the doc will say 'you have PCOS,' and all they can do is treat the symptoms. I believe the only way it can go away or be treated or be lessened is to lose weight. Now, I may be wrong, and I would like to hear other opinions.