Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For those who have PCOS

I wass diagnosed with pcos at a young age and had to deal with the pain associated with it for years. I finall had enough of the bleeding. I bled constantly for almpst a year and was able to talk the doc into a complete hysterectomy. I feel so much better now. no more ovarian pain and no more bleeding.

I can pretty much tell you what your endo will do. He/she will put you on birth control to control the hormones and clear your skin, and put you on metformin/glucophage to control insulin resistance. Oh, and they'll tell you to stay away from refined carbs (sugar, white flour, etc.) and very starchy veggies (white potatos, etc.). And of course, they will give you the ever-popular "lose weight" lecture, since that's basically the only cure for PCOS. There's not much they can do to control hair growth in weird places, unfortunately, unless you want to spend hundreds of dollars a month on methods that aren't guaranteed to work (see the Vaniqa thread in Rants and Raves).

Well, whatever they do, I hope something will work. My regular Gyno has done nothing for me. It's weird but the birth control didn't help much and the glucophage gave me headaches. I got feed up with it and just stopped taking everything, so I've been going untreated for quite a while now (I know, I know). Maybe this doctor will be able to help me.

Hi everyone, I am Mindy I have had PCOS for many yrs. Unfortunately most of the meds they have to treat PCOS I can not take because they give me Migraines. So i went untreated for many many years.

I was not sure about getting banded. I thought " I cant lose weight now because of PCOS what makes me think i can lose it with the band" My doc assured me that I COULD Lose the weight . He said it might come off slow but it will come off. I have lost 44.6 pounds Since July 16th . I consider that Quick weight loss. Im averaging about 3 lbs a week . I do know that I HAVE To exersice in order for the weight to keep coming off. Even if that is just walking. I did not walk at all for 2 weeks this past few weeks and NOTHING Came off for the first time since surgery . HOWEVER I did not gain either.

I want to try to be under 200 by thanksgiving. I dont know if I will make it or not ?

Glad to see everyone.

Mindy

I was worried about the weight loss too. In my mind, I thought that either I wouldn't lose or it would be very slow (I'm not a very patient person). So far I have had good results. My doctor assured me as well that the band would benefit me better than anything else could. Hope you meet your goal by Thanksgiving. You can do it.

Hi everyone, I also have PCOS. I went off my BC so we could get pregnant but then found out that I have pcos and the dr. put me back on the bc and also on Metformin. The Metformin is awful. Very bad stomach problems from it. So I stopped taking it. I'm hoping I will be ok untreated till I have my lap band done, which should be sometime in Dec.

Its nice to hear from people who are going through this. Nice to not be alone.

Has anyone out there had PCOS with difficulty getting pregnant pre band and then gotten pregnant postband? How much wait did you loose before getting pregnant and how long did you wait to start trying

Has anyone out there had PCOS with difficulty getting pregnant pre band and then gotten pregnant postband? How much wait did you loose before getting pregnant and how long did you wait to start trying

Several years ago (I think it was in 2003), I lost about 50 lbs on a low carb diet and I started having a regular cycle. We tried for about 2 years after the weight loss and finally in 2005 I became pregnant. I now have a healthy boy that is 20 months old. Even though I wasn't banded yet, the 50 lb weight loss helped tremendously. I plan on trying to have another baby after I get to my goal weight. I wish you the best of luck!

I was diagnosed with PCOS and Insulin Resistance about 10 years ago and have been on BC and Metformin for all of that time. I am still taking these but at a reduced dosage since having lost weight. I am convinced that the Metformin is what is keeping my weight loss consistent. That and eating 5 small meals a day and exercising like CRAZY! I don't have too many PCOS symptoms but maybe I have been living with them for so long I just don't notice. Hope everyones weightloss helps and those wanting to get pregnant, I hear weightloss is the key.

I was diagnosed with PCOS and Insulin Resistance about 10 years ago and have been on BC and Metformin for all of that time. I am still taking these but at a reduced dosage since having lost weight. I am convinced that the Metformin is what is keeping my weight loss consistent. That and eating 5 small meals a day and exercising like CRAZY! I don't have too many PCOS symptoms but maybe I have been living with them for so long I just don't notice. Hope everyones weightloss helps and those wanting to get pregnant, I hear weightloss is the key.

Hi jfran! Just wanted to tell you that you look GREAT! Whatever you're doing is working. Good luck with everything!

I'm so glad this thread was started! I'm scheduled to be banded on Jan. 7th. I've enjoyed reading about all of your journeys thus far. I was diagnosed with PCOS about 8 years ago. I was taking Birth Control, Metformin, and Spironolactone for many years. But due to a recurring blood clot I was taking off of the BC and was told I'd never be able to take it again. So then I was prescribed Provera to help regulate my cycle...although it doesn't really. I was told to take it every other month so my body would have a chance to kick in and start things on its own...it never seems to happen. I love working out, but rarely see any results so it's discouraging. I'm hoping the band will be the missing link I've been looking for. I'm realistic that I probably won't lose as much weight (or as quickly) as someone without PCOS.

Mindy -- We're rooting for you!! Keep at it, girl!

Sunshiny -- Hooray for Thursday!! You'll be in our thoughts!

Chickie -- When were you banded? Are you at your goal weight? Is your little signature your starting and end weights? lol...I'm so new, I'm still getting to know what all of this means!

To Everyone Else -- Hello!! :eek:

I was worried about the weight loss too. In my mind, I thought that either I wouldn't lose or it would be very slow (I'm not a very patient person). So far I have had good results. My doctor assured me as well that the band would benefit me better than anything else could. Hope you meet your goal by Thanksgiving. You can do it.

Thanks. I was prepared for slow loss. I have to admit im pleasantly surprised so far with the loss. I am going to work really hard to meet my goal but if I dont im ok with that too

Mindy

Chickie -- When were you banded? Are you at your goal weight? Is your little signature your starting and end weights? lol...I'm so new, I'm still getting to know what all of this means!

Yes, they are my start and finish weights. I was banded Feb 2005, I got to goal in early July 2006, and had a Tummy Tuck in August 2006.

And welcome to LBT!

Yes, they are my start and finish weights. I was banded Feb 2005, I got to goal in early July 2006, and had a Tummy Tuck in August 2006.

And welcome to LBT!

Thanks so much Chickie! Wow, congrats on reaching your goal weight! Wonderful to hear of such success from someone with PCOS!! Just curious, what was your post surgery regimen...as far as exercise and such? I know exercise is going to be key. Living in NYC, I'm always walking my Buns around town, but in addition to that I do about an hour on the elliptical 5 days a week and some pilates. I want to do so much more, but get winded so easily it makes it frustrating.

Did you continue taking meds (Metformin, namely) after being banded? Sorry, if you already answered this.

Thanks for all your input!

Thanks so much Chickie! Wow, congrats on reaching your goal weight! Wonderful to hear of such success from someone with PCOS!! Just curious, what was your post surgery regimen...as far as exercise and such? I know exercise is going to be key. Living in NYC, I'm always walking my Buns around town, but in addition to that I do about an hour on the elliptical 5 days a week and some pilates. I want to do so much more, but get winded so easily it makes it frustrating.

Did you continue taking meds (Metformin, namely) after being banded? Sorry, if you already answered this.

Thanks for all your input!

About 6 months post op I started running (slowly!!) 3 times a week, and I did, and still do 3 days a week of resistance work.

These days I run about 5km a day, a long run on the weekends of about 10km (I am working on getting my daily run up to 8km, and my weekend run up to 15km), still do the resistance work 3x a week, and when my friends can rope me into it, a yoga class a week.

I stopped taking my met around the time I started running, at about 6 months post op.

For my money's worth, it's not just been exercise. I converted to vegetarianism about 2 years ago now, and the weight started falling off when I paid attention to eating whole foods (not over processed diet type foods). The exercise was a HUGE part, don't get me wrong, but I felt a huge change when I started eating whole, organic foods.

Pamela,

I was thinking the other day that we need a PCOS thread! Thanks for getting it going. I am adjusting to life with 2 babies under 1 year old, so Ihaven't been on much lately. I am eating more than I should. Can't wait for my first fill on the 20th. I too have PCOS. I will post my story later. My dh, my 8 year old and my 11month old all have a stomach virus. I have been cleaning up poop and vomit for 2 days. Our 3 week old foster son and I are the only ones not sick. Just took a break to check the boards. I am very excited about this thread. The symptoms of PCOS are a big factor in my decision to be banded. I look forward to sharing support and encouragement with you all.

About 6 months post op I started running (slowly!!) 3 times a week, and I did, and still do 3 days a week of resistance work.

These days I run about 5km a day, a long run on the weekends of about 10km (I am working on getting my daily run up to 8km, and my weekend run up to 15km), still do the resistance work 3x a week, and when my friends can rope me into it, a yoga class a week.

I stopped taking my met around the time I started running, at about 6 months post op.

For my money's worth, it's not just been exercise. I converted to vegetarianism about 2 years ago now, and the weight started falling off when I paid attention to eating whole foods (not over processed diet type foods). The exercise was a HUGE part, don't get me wrong, but I felt a huge change when I started eating whole, organic foods.

Hi Chickie,

I am curious about vegetarianism. Do you eat any meat? If not, what do you eat for Protein? What do you do when you eat out? Sorry for all the questions but I am willing to do just about anything that will help with the weight loss and you are living proof that someone with PCOS can do it. Thanks in advance!