Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For those who have PCOS

I am not in the medical field, so this may not be accurate, but I think PCOS, as a syndrome, can't be tested per se. It's just if you have a bunch of the symptoms, the doc will say 'you have PCOS,' and all they can do is treat the symptoms. I believe the only way it can go away or be treated or be lessened is to lose weight. Now, I may be wrong, and I would like to hear other opinions.

PCOS is symptomatic, if you have the symptoms you have PCOS. There is not an exact test that can be given to test for it .

there are tests to test to see if certain hormone levels and such are elevated. for the most part its a matter of elimination and symptoms. Your right all they do is treat the symptoms. But it wont go away if you loose weight, the symptoms will go away or lessen, i had PCOS when i was thin as well. but things like excess hair, misses periods ect were less . Bascially PCOS is managed.

HTH

Mindy

Okay. I just clicked on this post by accident and it's looking like I might be very glad I did. I have cysts. Several of them. They are intermittantly very painful. I have brown splotches on my face, and my facial skin went from smooth to feeling literally like sandpaper. I have a lot of soft blond hair growing on my face near my ears and upper lip. My hair became dry and brittle. I had a hysterechtomy about 3 years ago. I had tumors growing inside the walls of my uterus. I had them for some time. I had sonos and the little cameral put inside to look several times and they couldn't find anything, but my uterus was the size of a 5 month pregnancy. they didn't find the tumors until AFTER it was removed and they dissected it. Gross, I know, and I apologize. Long story short. the face stuff and the cysts I got AFTER my surgery. (I still have ovaries) I have gained massive amounts of weight, and truly don't have the eating habits that would explain this. I asked my doctor about PCOS and he frowned and said, no you don't have that. He didn't even check. He gives me hormones about once a year for 6 weeks to shrink the cysts. they go away, but ALWAYS come back. why wouldn't he check me for this? By what you all say, it sounds like what I have. Can I demand a test? I was afraid I had ovarian cancer or something. I demanded a test for that, and the doctor refused several times. He said that the tests are not very reliable for that, and if I get a false positive he will be obligated to do exploratory surgery, and he was certain I just have cysts since they shrink with hormone therapy. Are there any physicians or nurses out there that can comment on this???????

If I were you, I would find a second opinion if your doctor refuses to check this out for you. They should at least draw your blood and check your hormone levels.

I had PCOS previous to getting pregnant...I was told that I was completely infertile and that I would not be able to get pregnant for a year or two after starting treatments...lol long story short about 5 months later SURPRISE Im pregnant lol! IDK what was going on, but EVERY single cyst had disappeared. Now Im battling with my cervix and kidneys :) We are all just hoping that its not cancer (VERY small chance, but a chance nonetheless) I will know more on Dec 3

I'm just curious, did your doctor tell you that you do not have PCOS anymore? I could be wrong, but I was under the impression, by my doctor, that I would always have PCOS. He said that losing weight would definitely help the symptoms, but not cure it completely.

Okay. I just clicked on this post by accident and it's looking like I might be very glad I did. I have cysts. Several of them. They are intermittantly very painful. I have brown splotches on my face, and my facial skin went from smooth to feeling literally like sandpaper. I have a lot of soft blond hair growing on my face near my ears and upper lip. My hair became dry and brittle. I had a hysterechtomy about 3 years ago. I had tumors growing inside the walls of my uterus. I had them for some time. I had sonos and the little cameral put inside to look several times and they couldn't find anything, but my uterus was the size of a 5 month pregnancy. they didn't find the tumors until AFTER it was removed and they dissected it. Gross, I know, and I apologize. Long story short. the face stuff and the cysts I got AFTER my surgery. (I still have ovaries) I have gained massive amounts of weight, and truly don't have the eating habits that would explain this. I asked my doctor about PCOS and he frowned and said, no you don't have that. He didn't even check. He gives me hormones about once a year for 6 weeks to shrink the cysts. they go away, but ALWAYS come back. why wouldn't he check me for this? By what you all say, it sounds like what I have. Can I demand a test? I was afraid I had ovarian cancer or something. I demanded a test for that, and the doctor refused several times. He said that the tests are not very reliable for that, and if I get a false positive he will be obligated to do exploratory surgery, and he was certain I just have cysts since they shrink with hormone therapy. Are there any physicians or nurses out there that can comment on this???????

you need a new doctor. preferably a female. I know that sounds feminist but in general male docs have been shown to NOT believe in PCOS. Because there is no defienative test for PCOS some docs ( including woman) do not "believe" in PCOS. I have had several of them over the yrs.

Also PCOS does not always mean you will have cysts. I can go at one ultrasound and have 50 cysts in one ovary and the next time go and have none. So FIND A NEW DOC who knows about pcos and treats woman with PCOS .

Mindy

Wow. Thanks for all your advice. I had no idea that PCOS can cause a lot of weight gain, and cause all these things. I just thought it was a chronic growth of cysts. I know a good female doctor, but she is not on my insurance group. I'll have to see what I can do. I'm now very concerned and confused about my doctor's response to my inquiries. What an A-hole. He didn't even bother to explain any of it to me. I guess I should have known when I had a uterus the size of a 5 month pregnancy for two years..... DUH!!!

Wow. Thanks for all your advice. I had no idea that PCOS can cause a lot of weight gain, and cause all these things. I just thought it was a chronic growth of cysts. I know a good female doctor, but she is not on my insurance group. I'll have to see what I can do. I'm now very concerned and confused about my doctor's response to my inquiries. What an A-hole. He didn't even bother to explain any of it to me. I guess I should have known when I had a uterus the size of a 5 month pregnancy for two years..... DUH!!!

Not only can PCOS cause weight gain it can make it nearly impossible to lose weight ,, hence why we are all here !

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Symptoms

this is just one site but google PCOS and read the symptoms , treatments, ect about it I bet you have more symptoms than you realize.

Just an FYI never take one docs "answer" or Opinon about anything.

docs are like everyone else , they have their own Opinions , beliefs and ideas on everything including diseases and treatments. at the very least If i find out something about my health I will go home and verify it on the net some how.

I NEVER take a docs word along .

Mindy

Here are many of the most common symptoms of PCOS. Remember, though, you can still have PCOS without having ALL the symptoms.

Ovarian cysts

Cramps

Weight gain (primarily around the abdomen)

Extreme difficulty losing weight

Male-pattern hair-growth (on chest, abdomen, face, etc.)

hair loss

Acne

Abnormal hormone levels

Insulin resistance

Fertility problems

Cha Ching!! I win!! I have ALL of the symptoms. Isn't PCOS fun. I can't wait to get this under control.

:first: haha. Of all things to win....this is it? Sheesh. I'd much rather have these odds at the lottery.

I can't wait to get it under control either! The good news though...I started my period today. haha. My body did it all on it's own, without the help of Provera (cause I can't take BC). Just thought I'd throw that out there...cause this is the first time this year that this has happened. I abhor having my period, but I'm thrilled when it actually starts on its own. Can't wait to join you bandsters and get things regulated!

Hello,

Im waiting to be banded! I had my first child almost 13 yrs ago, on the BC pill! Than tried unsuccesfully for our second for 7 1/2 yrs. Saw info on Dateline about PCOS and finally asked my doc if that was what I had!!!! YUP!!! Went if for laprascopic surgery in April of 2002 and had ovarian drilling done, sounds worse than it is. Six months of clomid and finally was pregnant. 13 months after birth, found out baby number three was on his way!! Complete shocker..... to us and the doctors..... Now my cycle are so regular its crazy (now that Im done having kids) But the weight is still there.... My life is so full and complete now, all I have left is to get this weight thing under controll. they say that the infertility effects are greatly reduced with weight loss, so good luck to all you banders starting a family :whoo:

:help::help::help::help:I have PCOS and I'm very interested in having the band. My weight seems to all sit in the mid section hips and butt LOL. I have very irregular periods unless i take birth control. Has anyone become regulated without using any time of medication since having the band

I have lost 29 pounds since I started my preop diet. I can't remember the last time I had a period on my own, but I have now had 2. Sept 30, and Nov1. The first was before my band and the second after. I never thought I would want to have a period!!

:help::help::help::help:I have PCOS and I'm very interested in having the band. My weight seems to all sit in the mid section hips and butt LOL. I have very irregular periods unless i take birth control. Has anyone become regulated without using any time of medication since having the band

I have had PCOS for a very long time . I got pregnant with my first son at 16 and did not know i was pregnant until i was almost 5 months pregnant because I did not have a period for those 5 months. Most people would yell BS but im sure ya'll understand that LOL

I cant take BC pills due to Migraines. So i only have periods if i induce them with provera and that i only do 4 times a yr due to horrible hormonal Migraine.

Since being banded in July I have had a period every month .

I have not been regular in nearly 15 yrs .

Even when i WAS THIN . So its rather odd for me and really something I could live with out LOL

Mindy

I'm just curious, did your doctor tell you that you do not have PCOS anymore? I could be wrong, but I was under the impression, by my doctor, that I would always have PCOS. He said that losing weight would definitely help the symptoms, but not cure it completely.

I didnt have a lot of symptoms, just a lot of cysts. I cant remember exactly what all she said, I dont think she told me one way or the other. She was almost as speechless as I was lol! She couldnt believe it at all!