Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! I have brutal acid reflux

Hi! I need help. I had a fill the other day and I am back up to 2cc in my 4cc band. I am siiiiick. I sleep on an incline, take my hubbys pariet and try not to eat too late. I have lost 4 pounds in 3 days...not good. I feel horrible. I need advice. I have no energy and feel like I can't even go sit in emerg for 8 hours waiting for the doc.

Bandiva you know you need a de-fill. Can you contact your fill doc and get that done? If you don't the consequences can be nasty. Good luck...

Cindy

Ok I think, I know exactly what your going through...I am waking up almost nightly with choking spells where I also feel taste reflux...it's awful. My question is why do we need a total defill, why not just a part of one? How long should we be defilled for ? Can we refill all at once or do we have to start all over and travel 4 to 5 times to get small amounts again to get restriction? Thanks for your help and advise.;)

Holy cow Astrotoes! Long time no see.

That's because you COULD have a slip. If they defill you and it goes away and then doesn't come back when you start getting refilled, that perhaps you never had one, or it slipped back into place. If it doesn't get better, and/or is just as bad when you start getting re-filled, then you've got a problem, and he'd probably do a flouroscope or something to actually diagnose you. That's what I got from his explanation when I had to get the complete defill.

He MIGHT NOT make you get a complete defill (btw, by he, I'm talking about Dr. Cobourn)... when I had to, it's cause I could barely eat OR drink. Maybe you'll just need a partial defill. Consider yourself lucky. And don't let it get so bad that you can't eat or drink and you do need a complete defill, because it SUCKS. I had to be 'empty' for about 2 weeks, and I gained 10lbs in that time.

I was at 1.5cc's when I got defilled, and I can't even imagine being that 'full' right now. I'm consider a defill somedays, and right now I'm at 1.3ccs.

So in closing (hehe), you too Astrotoes, contact your Dr. tell him what's happening, and hope that you'll only need a partial defill. Don't let it get worse. I know the misery that is nighttime choking... if it hasn't already, you'll start inhaling it when it comes up, and the whole next day you'll feel weak and hoarse, from all the choking and coughing. (also the chance of aspiration pneumonia)

Call the Dr. !

and no, if you got a complete defill, you wouldn't want a refill all at once. I had to get 1.2cc's, then up to 1.5, then a few weeks later, back down to 1.3cc. Can't imagine the hell it would have been if I'd immediately gone back up to 1.5cc's.

Wow Argon, thanks that's likely the kick in the pants I needed to get a defill...I really don't want the headache of complications (ok so that goes without saying), Do you know what may have caused this to happen in the first place? Seemed I was rolling along fine then this started.Thanks for the advise.

Hey folks we have to remember that a defill doesn't mean the end of the world. We still have our bands and getting the physical issues under control is a priority. Then we can move from there. I guess we're all likely scared of having the weight come back on if the band is loosened, and while some weight increase may happen - once the issues are under control we move on.

Lori last night was an eye-opener. I broke all the bandster rules, but for one night it was worth it. This was a fund-raiser for the Greek Fires Relief Fund. It was a seven course food and wine matching. Oh my word was it wonderful. We were at dinner from 5:30 to midnight. I brought home 2 of the 7 courses, and couldn't eat a 3rd. The other four were wonderful - drinking the wine helped move the food through, and there was no PBing or anything getting stuck. Luckily the portions were very small, but I sure am no hungry today! (A bit hung over, but not hungry). Back to basics now.

Cindy

Hi! I need help. I had a fill the other day and I am back up to 2cc in my 4cc band. I am siiiiick. I sleep on an incline, take my hubbys pariet and try not to eat too late. I have lost 4 pounds in 3 days...not good. I feel horrible. I need advice. I have no energy and feel like I can't even go sit in emerg for 8 hours waiting for the doc.

Grrrl, I had exactly the same thing happen to me about 9 months or so after I was banded. It took me a long time to figure out that my chronic sore throat - it felt like it had been painted with battery acid during the night time - was a manifestation of acid reflux and not a cold waiting to happen. I had just had another fill prior to the onset of these symptoms, by the way. I went in for a mini-defill and I saw my GP who gave me a prescription for meds to deal with the reflux. These measures didn't work and so I went back for a complete defill at the beginning of this past August. From what I had been reading on LBT at the time this is the right thing to do. Once the acid reflux has calmed down you can begin again with the fills.

At the moment I am still defilled - long story! - and I am definitely missing my band. However I did manage to get to goal before the defill and I did learn how to eat the right way and I have lost a further 5 lbs since being defilled. I am hoping to get refilled within the next month or so. :bounce:

Hope my story is helpful.