Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mommies getting sleeved

Hey guys, so I’m scheduled for nov 7. I’m a mom of two beautiful, energetic girls one is 6 and one is going to be 2. I’m having my worries of course about the surgery my biggest concern are my babies. I need this for me but I’m feeling a little selfish because I know they need me too. Just wanted to hear advice and other mommies that have been in this position, how was it, recovering and attending to them and everything in between.

I had my sleeve surgery in August. I have a 2 year old boy, and a 5 year old girl. It was tough at first, because I didn't have the mental energy to worry about food for my family - I could only focus on my own nutrition and hydration needs. It was an adjustment for my husband because I'm the primary grocery shopper and cook. He was very supportive, though, and made sure that he and the kids were fed and happy.

My two year old often wanted snuggles, but he's also very protective of me - I told him once that he couldn't jump on my belly, and ever after that, he'd ask "Tummy hurt?" before he hugged or snuggled on me. He's very sweet. I think your kiddos will be understanding if you explain what's going on in language they can understand.

Don't feel selfish. This is a hard thing to go through, it's not the "easy way out" like so many people like to tell us. You're not just doing it for yourself - anyway, I didn't do it for myself. I did it so my kids will have me in their lives for longer. I'd like to meet grandbabies some day, and if I'd continued as I was, I probably wouldn't have.

27 minutes ago, Yessican said:

Hey guys, so I’m scheduled for nov 7. I’m a mom of two beautiful, energetic girls one is 6 and one is going to be 2. I’m having my worries of course about the surgery my biggest concern are my babies. I need this for me but I’m feeling a little selfish because I know they need me too. Just wanted to hear advice and other mommies that have been in this position, how was it, recovering and attending to them and everything in between.

Getting the surgery, and following all the proper rules surrounding it, will be the best thing you can do for your kids. Hands down.

31 minutes ago, Yessican said:

Not selfish to get healthy and treating a disease. You will be modeling this lifestyle for your kids. They will be learning your habits of eating healthy and activity/exercise. One of my NSVs is keeping up with my active 3 year old grandson and 5 month old granddaughter.

Congrats on your upcoming surgery.

36 minutes ago, MegPRN said:

I had my sleeve surgery in August. I have a 2 year old boy, and a 5 year old girl. It was tough at first, because I didn't have the mental energy to worry about food for my family - I could only focus on my own nutrition and hydration needs. It was an adjustment for my husband because I'm the primary grocery shopper and cook. He was very supportive, though, and made sure that he and the kids were fed and happy.

My two year old often wanted snuggles, but he's also very protective of me - I told him once that he couldn't jump on my belly, and ever after that, he'd ask "Tummy hurt?" before he hugged or snuggled on me. He's very sweet. I think your kiddos will be understanding if you explain what's going on in language they can understand.

Don't feel selfish. This is a hard thing to go through, it's not the "easy way out" like so many people like to tell us. You're not just doing it for yourself - anyway, I didn't do it for myself. I did it so my kids will have me in their lives for longer. I'd like to meet grandbabies some day, and if I'd continued as I was, I probably wouldn't have.

True. Thank you definitely need to start the talk with them.

20 minutes ago, Matt Z said:

Getting the surgery, and following all the proper rules surrounding it, will be the best thing you can do for your kids. Hands down.

Thanks!

12 minutes ago, skinnylife said:

Not selfish to get healthy and treating a disease. You will be modeling this lifestyle for your kids. They will be learning your habits of eating healthy and activity/exercise. One of my NSVs is keeping up with my active 3 year old grandson and 5 month old granddaughter.

Congrats on your upcoming surgery.

Yes that is so true. Thanks

9 minutes ago, Yessican said:

Thanks!

Everyone in my immediate family has benefited from my surgery, my boys are doing great and are at healthy weights, my wife has lost a few of the extra lbs she wanted to, we are all doing more and eating better. And I know that I won't end up dying younger than I should because of the weight or a weight related issue. Now it's back up to good old fate.

I haven't had my surgery yet and both of my babies are 25 and 27 year old adults. You are doing the right thing in having the sleeve for yourself first but also for your family (second). You will be able to move more, play with your girls and have more fun as a family. This is one of the reasons I am having this surgery. I want to be able to walk with my husband, have adventures with my husband and my family without having to stop every few yards to take a breather. I feel I am a burden on my husband (more on myself) because I can't do the things we would like to as a couple. Good luck with your surgery and I will be praying for you. 👍

3 hours ago, AggiG said:

I haven't had my surgery yet and both of my babies are 25 and 27 year old adults. You are doing the right thing in having the sleeve for yourself first but also for your family (second). You will be able to move more, play with your girls and have more fun as a family. This is one of the reasons I am having this surgery. I want to be able to walk with my husband, have adventures with my husband and my family without having to stop every few yards to take a breather. I feel I am a burden on my husband (more on myself) because I can't do the things we would like to as a couple. Good luck with your surgery and I will be praying for you. 👍

I hear you. Thank you!

I have 2 boys that were 6 and 7 when I had my surgery in April. Yes, our kids need us and depend on us for life to life things, but if we don't get better we might not be here permanently. I told my boys exactly what I was doing and they went to my appt with me to see the surgeon. I call them my little ducks because they follow me everywhere. I homeschool and my boys are literally with me constantly. I wanted them to know mommy was getting healthy. They told me I didn't need surgery because I was beautiful the way I was. But I had to tell them that my heaviness is what makes me check my sugar and give myself insulin, etc. I was selfish to be unselfish. This isn't a cosmetic surgery, this is a surgery to help you change your life and become healthier for yourself and your babies.

I had surgery 10/19/18 with a 1.5 year old and a 3 year old. The first few days they were away at my moms house and then they came home and my husband had 2 days off work. Tomorrow will be 6 days post op and I feel confident I can take care of them by myself tomorrow. My house looks like a disaster because I haven’t had time/energy to clean up but everyone is safe/healthy/and feed.

18 minutes ago, afer0841 said:

I had surgery 10/19/18 with a 1.5 year old and a 3 year old. The first few days they were away at my moms house and then they came home and my husband had 2 days off work. Tomorrow will be 6 days post op and I feel confident I can take care of them by myself tomorrow. My house looks like a disaster because I haven’t had time/energy to clean up but everyone is safe/healthy/and feed.

Congrats on your surgery and what is important is everyone is safe/healthy/ and fed.