Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Late Night Snacking

OK... I was off track for about a month or so and when I went to my Dr, my total weight loss was 45 pounds for my 6 month check up. So I haven't lost the 55% weight loss I was supposed to have lost, I was off by about 5.6 pounds. Sounds like no biggie to people that haven't had the surgery, but it was huge disappointment to me and an eye opener because I knew I was eating BAD. I told myself I was going to get back on track and quit letting food be my Higher Power. However, I have had a lifelong habit of when I was up late at night or woke up to snack. I am now on a new medicine that is not related to my weight loss journey and I take it at night because it makes you sleepy (it's not a sleeping med it's for bipolar). But I have found myself the first night snacking on a bag of my husbands Cheetos for work and last night a bowl of dry frosted mini wheats. I even woke up with a mouth of chewed Cereal still in my mouth.

Anyway, for those of you who have a habit or had of snacking late at night, what have you done to break that. I had tried last night to save an ounce of my turkey breast from dinner so I would have a healthy "snack", but I ate it before I went to sleep then woke up with cereal.

I even got my 64oz of Water in yesterday and more without a struggle. I felt better yesterday, the day before and so far today better than I have in a while. I just can't quit snacking at night. When I say at night, I go to bed between 10-12 lately and I wake up between 12:30-2 depending on when I went to sleep.

Honestly? This is not a question of poor sleep hygiene or poor dietary habits. It's a true medical phenomenon that has a name (can't remember it). So if I were you, I would send my surgeon a MyChart message about it, or get with my psychiatrist/therapist about it and see how they treat this issue. This type of thing IMHO will absolutely side-line your potential and long-term progress and put you in major jeopardy of regain. But if your professionals are aware of what's going on, they will have behavioral mods and drugs that will help.

Talk to them without waiting ok? And congrats on reaching 45%. 6 months ago, did you ever think you would be here? And 5.6lbs off schedule is nbd in the big picture, as long as you make corrections to the things that are stopping or hindering your progression! ((hugs))

2 hours ago, johnsons13 said:

Anyway, for those of you who have a habit or had of snacking late at night, what have you done to break that. I had tried last night to save an ounce of my turkey breast from dinner so I would have a healthy "snack", but I ate it before I went to sleep then woke up with Cereal.< span>

I still work on night snacking years out. My late night snacking is old behavior, head hunger and cravings. I buy a veggie tray and allow myself as much of it as I want until full. If I try to bargain with myself for another option then I know its head hunger.

You situation may be more than breaking habit. If this is a medical issue, I agree with getting medical advice.

You might have to go do a sleep study where they record you on video all night. My son had to do that.

2 hours ago, johnsons13 said:

OK... I was off track for about a month or so and when I went to my Dr, my total weight loss was 45 pounds for my 6 month check up. So I haven't lost the 55% weight loss I was supposed to have lost, I was off by about 5.6 pounds. Sounds like no biggie to people that haven't had the surgery, but it was huge disappointment to me and an eye opener because I knew I was eating BAD. I told myself I was going to get back on track and quit letting food be my Higher Power. However, I have had a lifelong habit of when I was up late at night or woke up to snack. I am now on a new medicine that is not related to my weight loss journey and I take it at night because it makes you sleepy (it's not a sleeping med it's for bipolar). But I have found myself the first night snacking on a bag of my husbands Cheetos for work and last night a bowl of dry frosted mini wheats. I even woke up with a mouth of chewed Cereal still in my mouth.

Anyway, for those of you who have a habit or had of snacking late at night, what have you done to break that. I had tried last night to save an ounce of my turkey breast from dinner so I would have a healthy "snack", but I ate it before I went to sleep then woke up with Cereal.

I even got my 64oz of Water in yesterday and more without a struggle. I felt better yesterday, the day before and so far today better than I have in a while. I just can't quit snacking at night. When I say at night, I go to bed between 10-12 lately and I wake up between 12:30-2 depending on when I went to sleep.

I'm a late night snacker / sleep snacker. I found that putting the "better" options out and available quicker made a big difference. Fruits, veggies, cheese, Protein snacks... all within easy reach. It does take some cognitive readjusting, but it helps.

Congrats on the 64oz, start working towards 128oz. It helps as well if you keep Water by your bed and drink that before you even get out of bed to snack. Habits take a minimum of 2 weeks to break, and that's 2 weeks of making damn sure you are doing whatever it is you want to change. Small changes work better than big changes. Small, easy to adjust to changes and keep that up for 2 weeks before you attempt any other small changes. It's not easy, but it is very much possible with the right mindset.

3 hours ago, johnsons13 said:

Anyway, for those of you who have a habit or had of snacking late at night, what have you done to break that. I had tried last night to save an ounce of my turkey breast from dinner so I would have a healthy "snack", but I ate it before I went to sleep then woke up with cereal.

Wake and drink. Can't eat if you drink.