Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

You don't need WLS just go on a diet!

I’ve told many people about my sleeve surgery (10/10/18). Some were supportive and some were not. I found it an excellent tool to weed out the negative people in my life!! If you can’t be happy for me in my journey to get healthy, then I really have no desire to have an ongoing relationship with you! (Thank God it wasn’t anyone like my husband or mother!!) And that is my favorite thing about this group. Everyone is SO supportive of one another and I just LOVE it!! ❤️

I’ve told many people about my sleeve surgery (10/10/18). Some were supportive and some were not. I found it an excellent tool to weed out the negative people in my life!! If you can’t be happy for me in my journey to get healthy, then I really have no desire to have an ongoing relationship with you! (Thank God it wasn’t anyone like my husband or mother!!) And that is my favorite thing about this group. Everyone is SO supportive of one another and I just LOVE it!!
Me too. So tored of explaining myself. I am in this for me. Thank you everyone this all helps.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using BariatricPal mobile app

4 hours ago, CyndieRI said:

I’ve told many people about my sleeve surgery (10/10/18). Some were supportive and some were not. I found it an excellent tool to weed out the negative people in my life!! If you can’t be happy for me in my journey to get healthy, then I really have no desire to have an ongoing relationship with you! (Thank God it wasn’t anyone like my husband or mother!!) And that is my favorite thing about this group. Everyone is SO supportive of one another and I just LOVE it!! ❤️

That's good you have support from your husband and mother. My mom doesn't want me to do it but she will be OK after I have it. I probably have to start rethinking this relationship with my husband. At this point, I'm like if you can't support me then you and I need to move on because it's a daily battle and a daily argument about it and frankly, I'm over it! I do find there is good support here. We are all like minded.

One person knows about my procedure and she is the one who came with me while I travelled interstate. If my doctor had not insisted on me having someone with me 48hrs post procedure she probably wouldn't have known. I have rarely discussed my weight issues with anyone and I guess I see this as the same, no one needs to know my personal business.

People who are skinny,healthy,been skinny there whole lives dont get it.When I was 450 lbs 11 years ago I lost 105 lbs with good nutrition and lots of exercise and did in 6 months.I felt like I could take on the world even at 345lbs.I gained it all back plus 45lbs in 11 years cause I allowed my self to go back to bad habbits.I was one who thought people who did WLS were people who were just taking the easy way out.Well after lots of resurch and talking to people I know who have had either sleeve or gastric bypass WLS is not the easy way out and you can and will gain the weight back if you dont change the way you eat and look at food fot the rest of our lives.This is my opinion cause I do not live in fantasy land.This is going to be a lifstyle change and if you do not follow the rules mark my words you will fail.Weather it is a year or five years this is not a quick fix.People reading this and some of you are like me unhealthy and have medical troubes like myself this might possibly be your last chance to save or greatly prolong your life.Please look at WLS as a gift to help yourself and who cares if people know .Anyone who cares about you 100 percent will respect your decision and be supportive and if they dont then you probably dont need them in your life.I wish everyone good luck with their journey .

Only five people know about my decision. It’s no one else’s business and besides those same people will congratulate you later when you lose weight. Most people are just conditioned with that type of response due to lack of knowledge. I said the same thing to my neighbor ten years ago - I just truly didn’t understand the path he or I were on.

The people I told before hand were a very select group. If I caught wind of any negativity I usually nipped it with “ if being at a healthy weight was just sheer will power, determination and motivation I’d be there but it’s not for me - I need more help”. Those who I knew were negative I just didn’t tell until after it was done (and I’ve already got I’m so jealous comments)... can’t win with them.

I love this board because I can find someone who is or has been in a similar place at any time. Supportive and tough love when I need it.

I opted to tell exactly 4 people.... My mom, BF, Boss and best friend prior to surgery. I didn't want people knowing why I was out of the office (I only took a week off) and I didn't want snide comments. But what I've learned throughout this entire process is no one knows what you've been through, the struggles you've hit through weight loss, diets dietitians, etc. When I put on my final 50lbs and struggled for years to get it off, through pills, shots, seeing a registered dietitian and trying nearly ever fad diet in between, I decided to check out WLS as a last resort for me. When under the guidance of bariatric dietitian and still failing to lose weight at a normal pace (2lbs per week) - I finally agreed to the WLS. But what I learned about my body in those final 8 months before surgery is priceless. I also believe it set me up for success moving into WLS and the months following.
I still haven't told anyone that I've had WLS, it's no one's business but my own. If people are "watching" me, they will see my diet has changed dramatically (not only portions) but what I actually put into my mouth. So it all plays a vital role in our success.
I did the same thing...I only confided in my daughter, sister, my best friend and another friend. I don't want to hear anyones opinions again about my life.

Sent from my LGMP450 using BariatricPal mobile app

It's so sad that people are so judgmental! My surgery is scheduled for October 31st and so far I've only told my children (all adults), my boyfriend, brother and sister in law. I'm afraid to tell my mother bc she thinks I'm fine as I am. I will tell her beforehand though. Like someone else said earlier, I told my boss and coworkers that I am having a medical procedure done and thats it. It's none of anyone's business especially on the job. I'm taking 2 weeks leave and hopefully I'll be feeling well enough to return full-time.

I've had a BMI between 40 and 45 for ~20yrs. A lot of obesity in my family. I've tried a number of diets and medically supervised weight loss programs. Only to lose weight and gain more back. I have very high blood pressure and cholesterol (on meds), I've developed pulmonary hypertension, a heart murmur, I have a bad back, and the Ortho just told me I will need total knee replacement very soon. I've researched WLS for over 10 years and have been to seminars with 3 different bariatric centers. I'm over 50 and I decided it's long been time.

Because I have some dysfunctional, rude and shallow people in my family, I've elected to tell no one but my wife about WLS. I really don't want people to think about WLS everytime they see me. I don't want the questions. And most of all, for their own sake, I don't want to give them a chance to say something ignorant. Just the thought of it makes my blood boil.

So, if you have unsuccessfully tried to lose weight a number of times, medically qualify for WLS, and have done your homework on WLS, you have the right and obligation to improve and even save your life.

I only told my mom and my husband. No one else needs to know. My surgery, my business

On 10/17/2018 at 11:45 AM, Bmanns01 said:

Same....some of the criticism was brutal so I just stopped telling people. My husband and kids (thankfully) are supportive but they don't really understand how difficult this journey has been. Outside of them, my family has been a nightmare! One family member even told me I was going to die! That was where I had to stop. I don't want to fight this battle alone but I have to do what is best and I have too many people relying on me now and in the future to keep carrying this extra weight around.

My dad and husband have been super supportive but my mom has been worried telling me I could die and this surgery isnt safe and I need to just lose the weight as well. My Monster in law (mother in law) has always harped about my weight and when I told her the surgery I get backhanded compliments like, "well at least now you can wear smaller clothes and look great but youre pretty now." *rolls eyes* (and yeas she says them outside earshot to my husband). My boss knows bc i needed the time from work and were a super small office and then one of my friends knows bc shes having the same surgery as me in Jan. and i made the mistake to tell one coworker (i knew her from school before i started working there) and she said "are you sure you can do it? i mean youre always eating" (which im not at work bc no food is allowed at our desks and i dont see her outside work so how would she know) but mostly im just tired... im tired of the negativity and having pains in my ankles all the time bc of my weight , and starting to develop an array of other health issues due to my obesity. I know this inst a fix but in the end i deserve the right to any tools necessary to HELP better my body ....

On 10/16/2018 at 7:37 PM, Granmasleeve said:

I hate when I try to confide in someone and they say "You don't need surgery" … 🤬 I say " Oh yeah...tell that to my bad knees and achy back..You try carrying a 70lb child around everyday" this was how I felt.. Do they really think I haven't tried other ways. Maybe they think WLS is the easy way out. This is why I only told a few selected people. I have enough battles to fight.

Hi granmasleeve. People are judge mental! You know you’re doing this for you and you only! Try not to let those negative nellies get in your head! It is not easy! If it was we would’ve all done it a long time ago! Good luck!

53 minutes ago, sleevegirl88 said:

My dad and husband have been super supportive but my mom has been worried telling me I could die and this surgery isnt safe and I need to just lose the weight as well. My Monster in law (mother in law) has always harped about my weight and when I told her the surgery I get backhanded compliments like, "well at least now you can wear smaller clothes and look great but youre pretty now." *rolls eyes* (and yeas she says them outside earshot to my husband). My boss knows bc i needed the time from work and were a super small office and then one of my friends knows bc shes having the same surgery as me in Jan. and i made the mistake to tell one coworker (i knew her from school before i started working there) and she said "are you sure you can do it? i mean youre always eating" (which im not at work bc no food is allowed at our desks and i dont see her outside work so how would she know) but mostly im just tired... im tired of the negativity and having pains in my ankles all the time bc of my weight , and starting to develop an array of other health issues due to my obesity. I know this inst a fix but in the end i deserve the right to any tools necessary to HELP better my body ....

Yes you do deserve this! You can do it!

19 hours ago, Georgetown said:

Yes you do deserve this! You can do it!

Thanks!!!