Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The thought of a catheter.. scary!

I've only had surgery once before and there was no catheter. I just found out that I might wake up with a catheter after this surgery and it's kind of got me worried. I've just heard scary stories in my life about the whole catheter experience. What was your experience and I'm wondering are catheters pretty common with this surgery? I was told, it depends on the surgeon. Probably just fear of the unknown but thanks in advance for your input.

27 minutes ago, Ed_NW said:

I've only had surgery once before and there was no catheter. I just found out that I might wake up with a catheter after this surgery and it's kind of got me worried. I've just heard scary stories in my life about the whole catheter experience. What was your experience and I'm wondering are catheters pretty common with this surgery? I was told, it depends on the surgeon. Probably just fear of the unknown but thanks in advance for your input.

I'm with you man! I did NOT want to have it done... mainly because, being overweight, I was pretty self conscious about my manhood... I went under without one... woke up without one. So I thought I was in the clear.... until I had to urinate the first time... B U R N !... that's when they told me, "oh, voiding might hurt the first few times from the catheter. SO... I did have one. At least I was asleep when it was inserted and removed!

Your pee pee will be fine. :) You won't have any knowledge of having it done except as @Matt Z said...the burn...the burn. ROFLMAO!!

Just now, FluffyChix said:

Your pee pee will be fine. :) You won't have any knowledge of having it done except as @Matt Z said...the burn...the burn. ROFLMAO!!

I was just so anxious of having to be away while some random nurse tech manipulates my member trying to wedge a hose into it... soooooooo glad it happened while I was sleeping.

1 minute ago, Matt Z said:

I was just so anxious of having to be away while some random nurse tech manipulates my member trying to wedge a hose into it... soooooooo glad it happened while I was sleeping.

Oh man! I hope I'm sleeping for the entrance AND exit of the "hose". LMAO!

Just now, CrankyMagpie said:

I asked my surgeon's PA if they used catheters, and she said no. That's a perfectly reasonable question to ask your team, and it would put your mind at ease.

I know lots don't... some do, but also if the surgery runs longer than expected (like mine did), they still might do so, even if they typically don't use them. But most certainly he should ask, even could ask if they do, to have them do it while he's under.

50 minutes ago, Ed_NW said:

I had a catheter put in when I had liposuction in 2009. They put it in while I was under anesthesia. I didn't even know I had one in when I woke up! I wondered hours later why I didn't have to pee... but I had been peeing the whole time and just didn't feel it. lol. I barely noticed when they pulled it out the next morning. Just some slight discomfort and it burned the first time I peed like I had a urinary tract infection, and it was kind of hard to "get it started". Granted, I'm a female so it had less far to travel, but I don't think it's nearly as bad as it sounds!

The last time I had one I would have taken it home! LOL! Ahh, the differences of experiences. 😀

Had catheter for my surgery. They put it in while I was asleep. Woke up with it and had it for about a day. It didnt hurt while in, it was just weird. When the nurse took it out it didnt hurt at all and I experienced zero burning afterwards.

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

It was actually pretty convenient to have one. lmao....

I’ve read that. I think it’s part of the booklet from my doctor.... what to expect. I’m nervous about parts of it. Mostly excited. How are you ...10 days post op?????

Only registered nurses can place a catheter. Thankfully being asleep it will be a pc of cake. When they remove it, just don’t look. 😀😀