Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 Weeks Post Op and just NOW having problems

Wondering if anyone else has had these problems. I had my surgery 9/4 and everything went really well. I had no problems starting my puree diet, no problem eating or anything and then about a week ago things changed. Now I'm having all sorts of issues...and I'm really bummed. I can barely eat anything now without my stomach feeling like it has a rock in it. I'm also throwing up when I never did before. I'm also always hungry. I also most feel like just going back to a liquid diet for now. I won't see my nutritionist until the 16th for a meal plan. Also, my stomach growls terribly but only when I eat and when I eat I have gas. But I think those things are normal?

Mostly I don't understand why I was doing fine when I started puree and now things have turned bad. Any successions?

Hi Arondomme! I would listen to your gut (pun intended) and go back to the liquid diet; then slowly start reintroducing foods again! You can also give your surgeon a call to see what they suggest- you did pay them bunches to be able to do so!

Put a call into your surgeon and let them know what your experiencing. You may have some type of issue they may want to check on. Better safe than sorry. Good luck to you!!!

12 hours ago, Arandomme said:

Wondering if anyone else has had these problems. I had my surgery 9/4 and everything went really well. I had no problems starting my puree diet, no problem eating or anything and then about a week ago things changed. Now I'm having all sorts of issues...and I'm really bummed. I can barely eat anything now without my stomach feeling like it has a rock in it. I'm also throwing up when I never did before. I'm also always hungry. I also most feel like just going back to a liquid diet for now. I won't see my nutritionist until the 16th for a meal plan. Also, my stomach growls terribly but only when I eat and when I eat I have gas. But I think those things are normal?

Mostly I don't understand why I was doing fine when I started puree and now things have turned bad. Any successions?

I 100% echo @J San, you need to call your Dr.

According to the internet:

A stricture is when the opening to or from the stomach becomes inflamed and/or blocked preventing all or some of the food from properly entering the stomach or intestines.

Strictures can be either acute or chronic (very quick onset or an ongoing issue after surgery).

What to look for?

• Nausea or vomiting.
  • Difficulty swallowing.
  • Food intolerance.

When to call your doctor?

• As always call your doctor if you think something is wrong.
  • If nausea and vomitted is present every time you eat, or you are having difficulty swallowing, contact your doctor immediately.

How common is a stricture?

According to this study, strictures were present in about 3.5% of patients after surgery. However, while a stricture can be serious, often they are treated with a simple endoscopic dilation (inserting a camera down your throat under anesthesia to widen the stricture).

How are they treated?

• If the stricture is diagnosed shortly after surgery, it can usually be treated with rest, nothing by mouth, and intravenous fluids.
  • If the stricture is diagnosed a few weeks or more after surgery then the treatment will depend on the length of the stricture.
    • For short stenosis (narrowing of the stomach) the physician will typically perform an endoscopic dilatation.
      • Multiple treatments every 4 to 6 weeks will typically clear the stricture.
    • For longer stenosis, the phsyician may have to intervene surgically and convert the patient to gastric bypass.

Source: https://www.obesitycoverage.com/uncomplicating-gastric-sleeve-complications/

Your body needs time to heal, so there is no reason to accelerate the transitions between liquid/puree/ solid food stage. Just take your time with these transitions.

Well. James or anyone else,I am a bypass, 33 days post, and am scheduled for an Exploratory EGD on this Friday October 12th. I am still running on the Stage 2 railroad track🚝, Bone Broth, cream Soups, sugar free popsicles and,Jello, Protein Shakes, flavored and plain Water, and. more Protein shakes. At my last weigh- in , last week I had lost 22.5 pounds since surgery, I don't own a personal scale, but every time my son or I visit,a doctor I take advantage of theirs. Coupled with the 15 pounds I lost during my All August liver-shrinking presurgery diet, that is 37.5 pounds since,late July. Trying to take in adequate fluids, doing it gingerly, but consistently, 60- 84 oz ounces when you count,in the fluidity of this diet. Calories, that I have not added up, probably should. Do take my meds and Vitamins with a great deal of faith, even still sprinkling on the omeprazole, even though,i have little to no faith in it. Gosh, I wish they had let me keep my Dexilent, that was a PPI. I had good luck with, trusted , but N.P said do things our way, Your PPI is extended released, well aren't they all including Big 0? Now I am laying you 8 to 5 odds omeprazole was NOT gastric-protective and I DO have a stricture. Would love to move on to pureed and further. Was going sunny until I tried at 6 days with surgeon's blessing, and the emesis fairy claimed me as her own. And now we have gone from." still swollen "to "tempramental "to "thin things way down "to "Gee I don't know but stop trying to rock the boat🚣" Mean while I read of others at same duration or even less ingesting with impunity. Had to visit local hospital for a small injury a week ago. They stated except for slight dehydration which I got a couple bags for over 6 hours the rest of my Blood chemistries were ducky🐦. Is this the life I am destined to live? I still tire out and am 😵 dizzy. Not sure that didn't precipitate last week's injury. But the bruising and skin tear is starting to heal so maybe I Am Okay? Lets see what my surgeon, oh he of "You can handle a Diet Advance" at 6 days has to say. Last appointment I didn't see him, shunted off to a N.P., nice lady but not what I travelled 50 miles for. Hard to choose from You can handle this yourself, benign neglect and indifference. Maybe I am a tad crabby but a small bowl of strained cream of 🍄 Soup isn't much to look forward to. And the highlite of my week will be the EGD? Maybe the STRICTURE I believe I have is NOT IMAGINARY?

Well. James or anyone else,I am a bypass, 33 days post, and am scheduled for an Exploratory EGD on this Friday October 12th. I am still running on the Stage 2 railroad track[emoji586], Bone Broth, cream Soups,sugar free popsicles and,Jello, Protein Shakes, flavored and plain Water, and. more Protein shakes. At my last weigh- in , last week I had lost 22.5 pounds since surgery, I don't own a personal scale, but every time my son or I visit,a doctor I take advantage of theirs. Coupled with the 15 pounds I lost during my All August liver-shrinking presurgery diet, that is 37.5 pounds since,late July. Trying to take in adequate fluids, doing it gingerly, but consistently, 60- 84 oz ounces when you count,in the fluidity of this diet. Calories, that I have not added up, probably should. Do take my meds and Vitamins with a great deal of faith, even still sprinkling on the omeprazole, even though,i have little to no faith in it. Gosh, I wish they had let me keep my Dexilent, that was a PPI. I had good luck with, trusted , but N.P said do things our way, Your PPI is extended released, well aren't they all including Big 0? Now I am laying you 8 to 5 odds omeprazole was NOT gastric-protective and I DO have a stricture. Would love to move on to pureed and further. Was going sunny until I tried at 6 days with surgeon's blessing, and the emesis fairy claimed me as her own. And now we have gone from." still swollen "to "tempramental "to "thin things way down "to "Gee I don't know but stop trying to rock the boat[emoji571]" Mean while I read of others at same duration or even less ingesting with impunity. Had to visit local hospital for a small injury a week ago. They stated except for slight dehydration which I got a couple bags for over 6 hours the rest of my Blood chemistries were ducky[emoji211]. Is this the life I am destined to live? I still tire out and am [emoji43] dizzy. Not sure that didn't precipitate last week's injury. But the bruising and skin tear is starting to heal so maybe I Am Okay? Lets see what my surgeon, oh he of "You can handle a Diet Advance" at 6 days has to say. Last appointment I didn't see him, shunted off to a N.P., nice lady but not what I travelled 50 miles for. Hard to choose from You can handle this yourself, benign neglect and indifference. Maybe I am a tad crabby but a small bowl of strained cream of [emoji265] Soup isn't much to look forward to. And the highlite of my week will be the EGD? Maybe the STRICTURE I believe I have is NOT IMAGINARY?
I am so sorry to hear that you are having these issues and not feeling well. Hopefully things will turn around after your next visit. I hope they can find whatever it is that's causing you problems and correct it. I'm wishing you the best

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Thank you, it is so sweet that you care, makes me feel on a sad day I do matter. Hopefully I can get good news tomorrow. That will bring sunshine🌟back home to me. I'm usually brighter and bubbler than today sounds.