Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do I calculate predicted weight loss

There are many variables that ultimately get you to your goals so I am not just going to rely on the scales to measure my success but I wanted to know what I can expect. I am confused about predicted weight loss with a sleeve. Is your predicted % weight loss calculated from your weight at surgery or your heaviest weight ?

It's a % of your EBW (excess body weight) so say 65-70% of your EBW is the average expected loss in perfect conditions. Some will lose a lot more , some a lot less

Caution: it's definitely a curve and people will end up on all points of it depending upon MANY MANY MANY factors and ultimately your body will decide where you land

Safe Journey!

Edited by GreenTealael

But is it calculated from your heaviest weight or from your surgery weight? I lost 40 pounds pre surgery.

42 minutes ago, Reese Cerulean said:

But is it calculated from your heaviest weight or from your surgery weight? I lost 40 pounds pre surgery.

Congrats on all of your hard work!

I'm not sure it matters but go with what you are day of surgery since that is when the forced metabolic shift will occur.

Someone more knowledgeable, please chime in...

I only lost 10lbs in the months leading up to surgery,but around 30 in the year prior.

I go by the BMI range I should be in, as faulty as that system is, because it is what my team uses.

Ok, so it's calculated based on surgery morning weight. And you use a chart.

Or you go by this formula:

Ideal Body Weight = 100lbs for the first 5' + 5lbs for every inch over 5'. So for me, a 5'4" (ish) woman IBW=100+20=120lbs

EBW=Surgery Weight - Ideal Body Weight

EBW=102lbs=222-120

I had 102lbs of EBW at morning of surgery day.

I'm expected to lose 102lbs x 65%=66.3lbs

So I'm expected lose due solely to the surgery is 222-66lbs=156lbs

(click to enlarge) Height/Weight Chart

image.thumb.png.e32c1437d71f86b1f709a12df2e41704.png

Here's another graph to measure which percentile you fall into on your losses: I was in the 90th percentile.

image.jpeg.589f7b7ad7696b4489367592a1972dc8.jpeg

image.jpeg.4b26f3be105130341e9a6dfb9838247d.jpeg

Here is another nifty calculator: https://www.obesitycoverage.com/how-much-will-you-weigh-after-surgery/

1 hour ago, FluffyChix said:

Ok, so it's calculated based on surgery morning weight. And you use a chart.

Or you go by this formula:

Ideal Body Weight = 100lbs for the first 5' + 5lbs for every inch over 5'. So for me, a 5'4" (ish) woman IBW=100+20=120lbs

EBW=Surgery Weight - Ideal Body Weight

EBW=102lbs=222-120

I had 102lbs of EBW at morning of surgery day.

I'm expected to lose 102lbs x 65%=66.3lbs

So I'm expected lose due solely to the surgery is 222-66lbs=156lbs

(click to enlarge) Height/Weight Chart

image.thumb.png.e32c1437d71f86b1f709a12df2e41704.png

Here's another graph to measure which percentile you fall into on your losses: I was in the 90th percentile.

image.jpeg.589f7b7ad7696b4489367592a1972dc8.jpeg

image.jpeg.4b26f3be105130341e9a6dfb9838247d.jpeg

Here is another nifty calculator: https://www.obesitycoverage.com/how-much-will-you-weigh-after-surgery/

So @FluffyChix is there a percentile chart for surgery patients with BMI over 50 at date of surgery?

6 minutes ago, KimTriesRNY said:

So @FluffyChix is there a percentile chart for surgery patients with BMI over 50 at date of surgery?

I know there must be. I just cut that from a study and saved it cuz that was the bracket that applied to me. I don't know where it came from. :( Sorry girlie!

Just now, FluffyChix said:

I know there must be. I just cut that from a study and saved it cuz that was the bracket that applied to me. I don't know where it came from. :( Sorry girlie!

Don’t be sorry, I was just curious because I had never seen that one. My nine month post op is next week so it was interesting.

38 minutes ago, KimTriesRNY said:

Don’t be sorry, I was just curious because I had never seen that one. My nine month post op is next week so it was interesting.

Congrats!

44 minutes ago, KimTriesRNY said:

Can't wait to hear how it goes. You are doing so AMAZING!!!! Congrats!