Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Intermittent Fasting Daily Menu/Results/Accountability

It's so frustrating. I totally feel ya and get it. One thing to consider, we didn't start jacking with our programs until recently - now that we are nearing goal? And you are still very early on in your program. I probably wouldn't add IF until I'm at least 5-6 months out and you can routinely eat well and are still having trouble losing or are having symptoms of major inflammation. I just think add one thing at a time. You know? Not trying to dissuade you--just saying if it were me?
Oh no, I'm not ready to go IF yet. Your posts here always help and I'm learning a lot!

I have my 5 week FU Wednesday so I know what to ask from my surgery team.
So all of what you do and say helps me moving forward. And definitely keeps me from losing my patience.

24 minutes ago, MargoCL said:

Oh no, I'm not ready to go IF yet. Your posts here always help and I'm learning a lot!

I have my 5 week FU Wednesday so I know what to ask from my surgery team.
So all of what you do and say helps me moving forward. And definitely keeps me from losing my patience.

:) Careful learning stuff on the internet from schmoes like me! They can be all kinds of wrong!!! Fair warning! :D

55 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

I think many of us share you current fear. I know I do!! Fu*k! What if we get stuck like this?!!! I don't wanna live on 820 cals per day the rest of my life. (Interestingly, I thought the same thing at 500cals when I was having probs stalling while trying to get my cals up into the 700-800s :D hehe! Me=chronic worrier)

It's funny, I've literally never worried up until now. Not even pre op, not early days post op. So I'm not a worrier, so me being worried, worries me :lol:

5 hours ago, sillykitty said:

@FluffyChix

Thanks for your thoughts and support.

I hope this is just a combo that weight loss becomes hard fought near goal, combined with a regular old stall. I don't want to be one of those people, but I also have legitimate fears about metabolic damage :(

I know that a lot of vets are low carb. I would love to see more from those that aren't. I'd love to know if it is possible to maintain on long term moderate carbs, with high carb splurge days? Being real, a low carb lifestyle will be a constant struggle for me.

This month is not bad in total weight loss wise, but only due to a steep drop I had post vacation. My issue is between 9/5 and today I've only lost 1.8 lbs, and it's been dramatically up and down (for me) during that time frame.

I'm very analytical, and like to see the end game. This is the fist time I've been scared during this entire process.

Take a look at Dr. Weiner on YouTube and his thoughts on set points and long term eat after WLS. I found it very helpful.

Also proper IF helps your body to become fat adapted. But it takes the stricter protocols and consistency. That's where I'm heading, after this feast of course lol

10 hours ago, GreenTealael said:

Take a look at Dr. Weiner on YouTube and his thoughts on set points and long term eat after WLS. I found it very helpful.

Also proper IF helps your body to become fat adapted. But it takes the stricter protocols and consistency. That's where I'm heading, after this feast of course lol

I love Dr. Weiner and his philosophy. And I love your IF take. It gives me hope! Although I don't want to become a vegetarian, I do heart veggies (less so fruits), and I do try to get close to or a pound of them a day--especially leafy greens, cruciferous, or the brassicas! (When I'm not doing a 24 hour fast of course. LOL.)

Another day, Another limited eating window trying to get my saggy tookus back to 200 before Nov!

Here's a powerful lesson for each one of my buddies here! You don't have to believe in God to "get" this message of faith and hope, but I hope you do. Meh. Sue me. Why not take out life insurance? Right?

https://www.runnersworld.com/nutrition-weight-loss/amp23412133/how-to-boost-your-metabolism/

I just read this and it has some interesting points, as well as caclulations for rmr. I don't know how it applies to wls patients because we aren't typical.

24 minutes ago, Sosewsue61 said:

https://www.runnersworld.com/nutrition-weight-loss/amp23412133/how-to-boost-your-metabolism/

I just read this and it has some interesting points, as well as caclulations for rmr. I don't know how it applies to wls patients because we aren't typical.

I hear this. And I want to believe we aren't typical. LOL. But how is it truly that we defy biochemistry just by virtue of an altered anatomy? I "think" I might have some clues--but how does that really figure in for us metabolically?

In studies they found even in the absence of weight loss (ie newly post op), that metabolic status improved--less insulin resistance, lower bg's, etc.

Some theories are:

1. Surgery alters the transit time from food entering the stomach, to food exiting the stomach is much faster--so it alters the gut hormones which in turn alters the metabolism.

2. We're eating less, so lower glycemic load/glycemic strain placed on the body--therefore less insulin resistance/lower bgs.

3. In the case of RNY or DS, we absorb less so less insulin resistance/lower bgs/altered gut hormones change metabolism.

I don't get how these things actually BOOST or maintain our present metabolisms...I think the IF stuff and Keto stuff holds some clues as long as we're eating tiny amounts at a time and/or keeping cals super low or carbs super/low. But there are plenty who still lose and manage to take in a metric crapton (by their own admission) of carbs and calories. What then?

What are your thoughts on this? @Sosewsue61

Edited by FluffyChix

1 hour ago, FluffyChix said:

metric crapton

I love it when you get all technical on us!

Yes, it appears to be so variable, doesn't it?

My personal experience and opinion (means diddly squat) is that I have to not eat many carbs forever, not go over 1400 calories or it is just maintenance and at a higher weight than goal currently - what does that mean when I get to goal?

In the past, WW days, I always lost by doing UDs, and DDs, and limited carbs - usually one grain a day at bf, then only veg for carbs, barely one fruit/day and that was berries. I never ever restricted fats. It would work now, if I effing stuck to that - but just recent stress has derailed me a bit. This is probably the first time since surgery that I succumbed to that much stress eating - about 2 months of on and off activity of this genre. But I am headed for WI for 6 days to babysit grands and maybe the different distraction will be good. LOL

And that for me I have to up my activity - but at 63 motivation to bust my arss wanes (lazy by nature) unless it is dancing/square dancing, hiking (in non humid non freezing weather only, in other words on vacations only), horses - which I don't own anymore. I don't totally hate the gym, but I can't seem to get there w any consistency in several months. WI Daughter has a treadmill, if my knee behaves.

1 hour ago, Sosewsue61 said:

Yes, it appears to be so variable, doesn't it?

My personal experience and opinion (means diddly squat) is that I have to not eat many carbs forever, not go over 1400 calories or it is just maintenance and at a higher weight than goal currently - what does that mean when I get to goal?

In the past, WW days, I always lost by doing UDs, and DDs, and limited carbs - usually one grain a day at bf, then only veg for carbs, barely one fruit/day and that was berries. I never ever restricted fats. It would work now, if I effing stuck to that - but just recent stress has derailed me a bit. This is probably the first time since surgery that I succumbed to that much stress eating - about 2 months of on and off activity of this genre. But I am headed for WI for 6 days to babysit grands and maybe the different distraction will be good. LOL

And that for me I have to up my activity - but at 63 motivation to bust my arss wanes (lazy by nature) unless it is dancing/square dancing, hiking (in non humid non freezing weather only, in other words on vacations only), horses - which I don't own anymore. I don't totally hate the gym, but I can't seem to get there w any consistency in several months. WI Daughter has a treadmill, if my knee behaves.

Again. You are the voice of wisdom. It totally matters not one hill o'beans about our opinions. :D But as you say, there are self-truths that hopefully we all figure out for our own bodies. And me? I'm super jelly about those bi*ches (Male and Female) who get to pound down carbs and still lose or maintain weight! (Yes, you know me...I secretly would like to explode their heads from jealousy and spite.) I'm so sorry you are going through your stressful time right now. ((hugs)) I hear ya about motivation to exercise. For me, I know I have to add it or I flat don't lose anymore. :( Sucks once again to be me. :( But don't laugh, I walk around my house on weekdays and in the parks on weekends with Mr. F (MF for short from here on out. ;) bahahahahaha). And I'm trying to go very fast in 6- 1 minute intervals. I'm also beginning to do my core exercises again as soon as I wake up. So that I get them done for the day. And I swear after only a couple of weeks with the core stuff, I feel a difference in my waist/abdomen. It's pretty amazing really and for the first time that is motivating.

What's pretty cool even though we don't know the reason why, I've talked to enough successful long term vets out there and they absolutely swear that they can eat more cals now in maintenance than they could for losing and that their metabolisms do not appear tanked (other than that they are now weight-appropriate metabolisms--not the mets of 300+ lb person.) So that does give me hope that I just need to keep swimming.

Edited by FluffyChix

3 hours ago, FluffyChix said:

Here's a powerful lesson for each one of my buddies here! You don't have to believe in God to "get" this message of faith and hope, but I hope you do. Meh. Sue me. Why not take out life insurance? Right?

Really liked this!

Thanks @FluffyChix

Just now, GreenTealael said:

Really liked this!

Thanks @FluffyChix

I saw this on The Facebook this morning. :D But I've listened to Les Brown for many many years and he just never fails to lift me up and inspire with his messages of hope. So glad you like it!! Thought it was a beautiful metaphor!

Ha! Ok, so will we ever get over our love/hate with the scale? I'm sicker than a dog. Am not eating cuz I feel like total poop. Didn't get my Protein in yesterday. Basically drank hot tea and decaff coffee black all day, had some popcorn at the game last night (very salty). Choked down about 3oz of Protein Drink and that's all I could handle. Had sf cough drops and about 5g of coconut oil in my coffee as an antiviral. And exercised VERY well. Today I'm up a couple of pounds to 160.8lbs. GAH!!!! No fair, no fair, NO FAIR!!!! LOL.

I had a stellar fasting day yesterday despite being sick. Only minor hunger at 3pm. We were supposed to go to dinner after the game but it went 13 innings. We didn't get home until midnight and by then I sure as hell wasn't gonna eat. So I fell into bed and slept. Then woke this morning feeling pretty bad. Will not fast beyond the 14/10 or 16/8, then will eat Soup and greens all day.

But I just think, I still do this. Daily. Stress about my weight and the scale and non-compliance of my weight in conjunction with pure heart and actions. LOL! Makes me want to run out and pound down some contraband food! So silly!