Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am just wondering how long everyone had to continue to take Prilosec after surgery? I am still taking it and if I miss it I sure can tell. My reflux isn't horrible but it bothers me without meds.

I had to start taking meds 3 weeks after surgery for reflux. Now 6 months after I take it daily. Doctor said it will be my new normal... so I doubt you’ll get to stop taking meds. He told me it is one of the side effects of the gastric sleeve.

My surgeon did not put me on anything immediately post-op, but around week 3 I started getting heartburn. So, I put myself on Nexium. It had worked for me in the past and it worked for me for this.

I took the Nexium for 4 months straight when I missed a dose and noticed return of the heartburn. I was concerned about some of the long term effects of PPI use, so I decided that I would like to try to stay off of PPI's on a long term basis. I'm willing to accept temporary rounds of treatment, but I really wanted to try. So, I took Pepcid complete as needed until I had done enough research to find alternatives. I added some natural GERD remedies to my daily routine and you'd be surprised at how effective they are. I'm not noticing the nighttime reflux like before and I might have a little break through heartburn once in a while, easily treated with DGL. Otherwise I'm good.

I take 1 Prilosec per day, which is what I took pre-op too. I have about the same level of acid reflux now as I had pre-op.

I am two months post-op my re-flux was really really really bad after surgery. Now I usually take Omperazole about three times a week it has gotten better. I hope your gets better. Don't let anyone take your hope away it can get better.;)

I guess I am one of the lucky ones! I was prescribed Omeprazole after my surgery. I didnt have reflux before or after so I stopped taking it during week 2. My surgeon told me if I am not having the reflux I don't need to take it, but keep it in case there are changes down the road!

Hope your reflux gets better!

I took it for 2 weeks post op then stopped to see how I would feel. I stopped taking it. Still comes on mostly in the evening but it’s manageable without the medication.