Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello! My surgery is August 29 (3 days from now.). I’ve never had general anesthesia. I have a rather personal question. If your abdominal area is numb during surgery, how long does that take to wear off? (Once the surgery is over and you are in recovery). What if you have to go to the bathroom? If you are not yet awake and able to walk, do they use pads under you or bedpans or a catheter? It would help to be prepared for this, even knowing it’s probably not the same for everyone. How long was it after surgery before you evacuated your bowels?

Thank you!

Generally most people are on some type of liquid diet for a few days prior to surgery. Therefore there is very little material in your bowels. Also in the hospital they set you up with an IV and feed you liquid nourishment through the IV.

After surgery, I was moved to the recovery room. I was there for about an hour until the anesthesia wore off. Then I walked back to my hospital bed.

When you arrive at the hospital ask them to make sure they install a trapeze bar above your hospital bed. It really helps in getting up out of bed to use the restroom.

General anesthesia does not numb your abdomen, it puts you to sleep so they can do the surgery.

I had a catheter the first night after my surgery that was removed the following morning. If you do not, you will get up and use the bathroom. You may be moving slower, it may be a bit uncomfortable, but you will be able to move and walk about and will be encouraged to do so.

On 08/26/2018 at 05:49, MassMom said:

Hello! My surgery is August 29 (3 days from now.). I’ve never had general anesthesia. I have a rather personal question. If your abdominal area is numb during surgery, how long does that take to wear off? (Once the surgery is over and you are in recovery). What if you have to go to the bathroom? If you are not yet awake and able to walk, do they use pads under you or bedpans or a catheter? It would help to be prepared for this, even knowing it’s probably not the same for everyone. How long was it after surgery before you evacuated your bowels?

Thank you!
I had a catheter during surgery, but they removed it before I was awake. My hospital got me up pretty quickly after I came to, so I would just use the restroom. This may vary depending on this like the type of surgery, the hospital, your age, mobility, etc. I am 34, had RNY, and no mobility issues going into surgery... so they got me out of bed pretty quickly.

I’m a nerd and read through my surgical notes. General anesthesia does not numb your stomach. However, they did inject local anesthetic near each incision site at the end of the surgery. Post surgery you will be on some sort of pain medication.

My incisions never hurt. My abdominal muscles did, though. I would describe it as quite a bit of soreness the first few days, but it is tolerable and there are pain medications if it isn’t tolerable to you.

I had no catheter and after recovery was able to use the restroom with some assistance to get out of bed. You get pain meds in the IV and a glucose drip if needed. You will be fine.

Ask for a scopolamine patch for nausea before they administer the anesthetic, works great. Good luck.

And to partially support the above postrr, my personal surgeon as assured me I shall have no catheter, so I will perform an ante-surgical mictuation, agree to void as soon as possible after awakening, at mid70s you are grateful for the portions of you still working well. I am far from from the youngest, may be the oldest on Bariatric Pal currently to attempt this, but I shall continue to do this with class, a modicum of grace, be the best Frustr8 I can be, have a good surgical experience, a great surgery which I can't help,but have with my Dr Needleman, a wonderful highly experienced surgeon, a glorious recovery and future life. May not always be easy but it will be My Journey and I intend to,make of it all it can be. All of you may watch, cheer me on as I reach each stage, and if I can help you as you have sustained and helped me, isn't THAT what life is all about? Your excited and hopeful Bari-Bud. Frustr8

I was up out of bed to urinate a few hours after surgery. I took 650mg Tylenol for pain every 4 hours and also had a prescription for hycosamine, an anti-cramping med. About 3 days post op I stopped needing to take them super regularly- didn't wake from pain as the meds wore off, etc. My first bowel movement after surgery was 2 days post op. Walking after surgery was the best thing. Not long distances, but frequently. Good luck on Wednesday and keep us posted!

Good Morning @Lyngolean. Thank you for your posting today. I am lurking close as my surgery is not this Wednesday but the Wednesday after that, September 5th, will be be my Wonder Wednesdayn the REBIRTHDAY when I receive my RNY Bypass surgery and embark on my post- surgical life, This does make me Peri-Surgical and like most students, I am cramming for my Final Exam when I get my RNY degree instead of VSG. Makes no never mind, we are both are seeking that Weight Loss Shangri La. Have an outstanding Sunday and Hi to all the readers out there!

1 hour ago, Lyngolean said:

I was up out of bed to urinate a few hours after surgery. I took 650mg Tylenol for pain every 4 hours and also had a prescription for hycosamine, an anti-cramping med. About 3 days post op I stopped needing to take them super regularly- didn't wake from pain as the meds wore off, etc. My first bowel movement after surgery was 2 days post op. Walking after surgery was the best thing. Not long distances, but frequently. Good luck on Wednesday and keep us posted!

Thank you! I absolutely will let you know how things go! Fingers crossed.

Hey you guys I have got a question and Yippee Skippee I found the right forum thread to post it in! Okay I am in what my hospital calls" peri-surgical", I do have a fertile imagination but this is THEIR term.Made the trek over to Columbus for my Final mini-appointment and like Rocky I'm in "the final countdown. SD is September 5th 2018 7AM EDT. Got my last paperwork to go into my Life After Bariatric Surgery Handbook, now approaching the size of a small metropolitan phone book and one,to me crucial bit of information, is missing. I have been on a liver-shrinking diet since August 1st. Must be working, I have lost 13 pounds and I usually lose weight like a depressed 🐌, somebody said my BMR was pathetic. Okay now to my question- I see nothing about a clear liquid- sugar free Jello- sugar free popsicle- Protein Water diet for the days immediately prior to surgery, a bowel prep, just the standard NPO after midnight all surgeries seem to require. Relax and Count My Blessings? Not exactly, currently I am on every other day Miralax or MoM, to keep things moving smoothly. It may be a combination of geriatric slowing and iron- rich prenatal Vitamins but my colons natural tendency has been to hold things, keep dehyrating down until I am sitting on Plymouth Rock. Haven't found a local distributor for Squatty Potty, Wal-Mart has either stopped stocking them or they are sold out. Can I get one with my Bariatric Pal points? Oh well, it was worth asking. I am fearful if I don't step back to Clear Liquids I am going to,March into OSU full to the brim with feces. Granted they will be only "monkey-doodling " with my stomach and small intestine but I am going to be an UNHAPPY PUPPY when my colon wakes up from its surgical slumber. BARI-pals if you were ME what would YOU DO? signed Frustr8 the potentially FULL

I did not have to bowel prep. I just couldn’t eat after midnight the night before. Some medical person (I think the pre admission testing nurse?) explained to me how long it takes food to get from point A to point B in your body and basically, anything I ate should have been well beyond the parts they were operating on.

Basically do what they tell you and should be fine. 👍🏻

On 8/26/2018 at 3:45 PM, insta_adventurer said:

I did not have to bowel prep. I just couldn’t eat after midnight the night before. Some medical person (I think the pre admission testing nurse?) explained to me how long it takes food to get from point A to point B in your body and basically, anything I ate should have been well beyond the parts they were operating on.

Basically do what they tell you and should be fine. 👍🏻

Insta Adventurer is right! If there is one thing I have learned through this site is that there is quite a bit of variation from one practice to another about all sorts of details regarding WLS. I like her advice of "Do what they tell you and you should be fine."