Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions about your experience with the Sleeve

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 10:43 AM, KymmerShimmer said:

Hi there, Just approved for a surgery consult after a 8 month pre-bariatric program of nutrition counseling, exercise testing and psych evaluation. Have some questions for you expert Sleevers:

1. What made you choose the Sleeve over the Lap Band? Too many horror stories about filling, unfilling, repeat surgeries, emergency removals. I wanted something permanent with a high success rate.

2. Have you had Hair loss with the Sleeve? No but I had Hair loss in my 30's when I became hypothyroid. It all grew back.

3. What can you absolutely NOT eat now with the Sleeve? It depends on the day. Some days I can eat eggs, other days not. Some days I can eat salad, some days not. Dry meat (like chicken breast) is difficult. Salmon and tuna fillets are difficult, but tuna packed in oil from a can is okay. Bready things feel like they ball up in my sleeve but toast and crackers are fine. You will learn after one or two bites if what you are eating is okay.

4. At what point did you know you made the right decision with the Sleeve surgery? I started losing weight and eventually lost 18 lbs more than my goal weight.

5. What as been the best tool you've used in keeping your weight loss progressing? Watch portion sizes, over time they tend to get bigger. Don't drink your calories--Starbucks a couple times a week put seven pounds on me last year which I had to take off this spring. Weigh yourself weekly--I had gotten out of the habit but I'm back to Sunday weigh-ins.

Thank you!!

Good Luck to you !

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 12:43 PM, KymmerShimmer said:

Hi there, Just approved for a surgery consult after a 8 month pre-bariatric program of nutrition counseling, exercise testing and psych evaluation. Have some questions for you expert Sleevers:

1. What made you choose the Sleeve over the Lap Band? I actually had lap band in 2005. I did well, but it gave me a lot of problems with GERD. Removed d/t slip. After some years without the band, I got sleeved because I didn't want the malabsorption issues associated with bypass.

2. Have you had Hair loss with the Sleeve? Yes. At about 3 months out, my hair started falling out more than usual. It is slowing now (4+ months out), but I've lost so much hair that I look a little thin up top. My hairdresser says she can see some new growth, so that's hopeful. *I had similar hairloss with the band.

3. What can you absolutely NOT eat now with the Sleeve? There is nothing that I ABSOLUTELY cannot eat, BUT there are things that I stay away from or eat very rarely. Fresh bread of any sort can be a problem for me. I can eat it, but I have to commit to only being able to eat a little and it can make me uncomfortable if I eat too much. I estimate 1 slice of regular bread and if I eat the whole slice, I can't eat much more with it like meat or eggs. I do better with toasted bread but not much. I can eat Pasta, rice, and pizza. Rice, as long as it's well cooked. Had a bad experience with rice that was a little firmer than I would have cooked it. No problems with meats. No problems with vegetables, even raw ones.

4. At what point did you know you made the right decision with the Sleeve surgery? That's a tough question. I don't regret having surgery, but I can't say I had an "a-ha" moment to tell me I'd done the right thing. The best feeling is the results, regardless of the method.

5. What as been the best tool you've used in keeping your weight loss progressing? The best tool is in my head. I have to remain focused. I have had to deal with my personal relationship with food and the emotions that are involved. I could tell you about all different kinds of dietary practices or exercise regimes, but I'd have to say that my mental health is the strongest and most effective tool. Learn to deal with the mental aspects and success is yours.

On 8/21/2018 at 1:43 PM, KymmerShimmer said:

1. What made you choose the Sleeve over the Lap Band? I have a chronic disease and some of the medicines can cause ruptures. I just felt that the bypass might be more of a long term risk for me

2. Have you had Hair loss with the Sleeve?
Yes but I had already had some with a medicine I take, so I've already mourned my nice full head of hair.

3. What can you absolutely NOT eat now with the Sleeve?
Still beginning my journey, but so far tomatoes (cooked) don't sit well, and canned tuna.

4. At what point did you know you made the right decision with the Sleeve surgery?
I don't really question my decisions once made.

5. What as been the best tool you've used in keeping your weight loss progressing? Myfitness pal for food diary. Excel for my obsession over weight loss (I track against the average weight loss as my goal, and keep track of how many inches etc.

Thank you!!

On 08/21/2018 at 12:43, KymmerShimmer said:

1. What made you choose the Sleeve over the Lap Band?

4. At what point did you know you made the right decision with the Sleeve surgery?

5. What as been the best tool you've used in keeping your weight loss progressing?

Thank you!!

1. Most doctors don’t even offer the lapband any longer due to all the problems. All the people who I know who had lapbands either had revisions or are waiting for revisions.

2. No Hair loss yet at 3.5 months post op.

3. Too much rich sweets or dessert. A small piece is fine.

4. After the first week.

5. MyFitnessPal

On 8/21/2018 at 12:43 PM, KymmerShimmer said:

5. What as been the best tool you've used in keeping your weight loss progressing?

Thank you!!

1. My surgeon doesn’t do the lap band and he said I wasn’t big enough to need the duodenal switch, which left me with the sleeve or gastric bypass. Reasons for not doing RNY: Didn’t want to have to give up any foods entirely. Didn’t like the idea of having my insides rearranged. My mom has Crohn’s disease and the surgeon said the sleeve is better if that ever presents itself in me.

2. No

3. Rice. My favorite meal before surgery was 10 boneless wings and 3 or 4 breadsticks from a local pizzeria - I can eat 5 boneless wings and 0 breadsticks now. Everything else is fine.

4. When my son was being born and I could sleep in the room with my wife and, later, my son, on the couch in the room, comfortably. To a lesser extent, the first time I flew on an airplane, in coach, without encroaching on my neighbor. And, next spring, when we all go to visit my wife’s family in England and I fit everywhere we go (it is not a country that is meant for big-boned people).

5. Measuring obsessively, eating Protein first, drinking Water.

Edited by abefroman329

Regarding 4, if you’re looking for a hard number, at 4 months out, I watched my brother-in-law (who has weight issues of his own) load a dinner plate with pizza and wings and I thought “I don’t miss eating like that.” That was the first time I had that thought post-surgery.

Never considered anything but the sleeve. I know others who have had success with it, when reading about it realized it would be a good fit for me, and my doctor agreed.

I've experienced Hair loss. So far not noticable to others, but I hate it and am anxious for it to stop.

I eat whatever I want, just significantly less. I may be the tiniest bit more sensitive to spicey food, and slightly less tolerant off eggs, but I've had my gallbladder out and the new sensitivities could be related to that. I can still eat both, just have to be careful.

Love my slimmer body and how nicely my jeans fit. I feel great.

Baritastic App

On 8/21/2018 at 1:43 PM, KymmerShimmer said:

Thank you!!

- I wanted something permanent and my Sister had a bad experience with the Lap Band

- Not at all

- bread. Fills me up way too quickly and leaves me room for nothing else

- About a week after surgery when I was back at work, feeling somewhat normal and down 12 pounds since surgery

- Keeping carbs and sugar out of my life as much as possible

On 22/08/2018 at 3:43 AM, KymmerShimmer said:

1. What made you choose the Sleeve over the Lap Band? I wanted the band but my surgeon talked me out of it. He doesn't perform them anymore. Too many complications with the lap band. Vomitting etc. Also it can restrict you from eating healthy food like lean chicken.< /strong>

2. Have you had Hair loss with the Sleeve? Yes. Lots. It stopped and it's now growing back. I spend my life using hair gel on the little spikes all over my head!

3. What can you absolutely NOT eat now with the Sleeve? There is nothing I cannot eat. I've never had a problem. I choose not to eat a lot of things. I've never had dumping syndrome or thrown up from anything I've eaten. Some foods make me feel fuller faster.

4. At what point did you know you made the right decision with the Sleeve surgery? I don't know that there was one moment. I was pretty desperate before the surgery. I had a lot of complications and illnesses in the year since. I have lost a lot of weight and I'm healthier overall. Even with the complications and illnesses, I don't regret it.

5. What as been the best tool you've used in keeping your weight loss progressing? I have lots of tools. I don't know what is the best. For me, I would say the three most important components are 1) education; 2) staying motivated and 3) tracking. For education, I read a lot of books on bariatrics, nutrition, obesity and dieting, I watch any documentary I can find on youtube. For staying motivated, I look at old photos, jump on these forums, or go shopping. For tracking, it's all about MyFitnessPal.

Thank you!!