Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi All,

I am almost 6 weeks out from my sleeve surgery and I have a call into my surgeon. From the moment I came home from the hospital, my appetite has steadily diminished. Last week I completely lost my appetite. I have to make myself eat and I usually gag it down. I can barely look at Protein Drinks and when I try to use them I cannot finish them. I am only meeting about half of my Fluid requirement and obviously not meeting my Protein goals either.

I guess I'm just wondering if this has happened to anyone else. I certainly didn't mind a diminished appetite but the aversion to food is freaking me out a bit. I am hoping my surgeon will be able to shed some light on the subject but I thought I would bring it up here.

I had RNY gastric bypass surgery and I completely lost my appetite for the first year after surgery. But generally I don't know how common this is in sleeve patients. It is critical that you meet your daily Protein, Vitamin and Fluid requirements after surgery. food it less important. Do you have other symptoms like nausea? unable to drink fluids without vomiting or hurting? This might be a sign of a problem such as a stricture or ulcer which is common after surgery.

I just spoke with my surgeon. She believes its the beginning of Protein malnutrition. If I don't get my protein and Water consumption up by Thursday they will be putting in a feeding tube. They suggested Isopure water to help me over the hump. I do not want a feeding tube.

I had a bypass on June 13, 2018. I have had virtually no appetite since day one. Appetite Zero.

I'm not even close to meeting my Protein and Fluid requirements. Dismal levels of both, really. I probably take in fewer than 250 calories per day as well. This is not on purpose.

The only thing I am able to maintain with any regularity is my Vitamin regime. And because I have more malabsorption issues as a bypass patient, I take the risk of deficiencies very seriously. Taking Vitamins is effortless. Eating not so much.

I've been told not to worry, so I am not stewing about my protein, fluid, or calorie deficiencies any longer. I've been assured that this is temporary. How long is temporary? How many more days, weeks, months?

My "problem" is not about gagging or restriction or any of the other reasons suggested. It is only my appetite. food is an afterthought. I only think about it in terms of "I guess I should probably try to eat something today."

It's not that I've forgotten the look, taste, and enjoyment I received from certain foods in the past... Chipotle's hard-shell chicken tacos with tomatoes/cilantro, sour cream, and extra cheese come to mind... but I just don't have the craving to follow through with cooking favorite foods or seeking them out (like Chipolte's where my daughter has always offered me with an endless supply of gift cards for an occasional eating-out treat.)

I'm a scratch cook. I can cook just about anything I put my mind to... but I have little interest in cooking anything now. I have an empty nest which means fewer mouths to feed. It's just my husband and me, so I mainly cook enough to satisfy his primitive "need to eat", but, for me, it's become a mindless chore and a bore.

I have replied to other posts on this forum with pretty much the same words... mainly because very little changes from day to day. I know there are those who struggle with something at the other end of the spectrum: intense hunger. I can understand the frustration with that problem, too. Perhaps I should feel "lucky" that I have no appetite. I don't actually feel lucky, but I'm willing to accept my lack of appetite as temporary and a version of normal.

Edited by Missouri-Lee's Summit

I was perfectly happy with my new appetite. I didn’t seek food out like I had before and that is wonderful. I am also thankful that I don’t have intense hunger like my sister in law. (Bypass patient) But gagging through food and only urinating once a day is a bit scary to me.

I got the Isopure drinks my doc told me to get. This stuff is absolutely awful but I’ll drink it to help me over this hump.

@Bellasoo Is your surgeon's office really serious about putting in a feeding tube, or do you think they're just trying to scare you into action? A feeding tube sounds a bit drastic. I guess the threat worked because you're drinking the awful stuff they recommended.:D

4 hours ago, Bellasoo said:

Hi All,

I am almost 6 weeks out from my sleeve surgery and I have a call into my surgeon. From the moment I came home from the hospital, my appetite has steadily diminished. Last week I completely lost my appetite. I have to make myself eat and I usually gag it down. I can barely look at Protein Drinks and when I try to use them I cannot finish them. I am only meeting about half of my Fluid requirement and obviously not meeting my Protein goals either.

I guess I'm just wondering if this has happened to anyone else. I certainly didn't mind a diminished appetite but the aversion to food is freaking me out a bit. I am hoping my surgeon will be able to shed some light on the subject but I thought I would bring it up here.

I had this problem and it lasted a couple of weeks. I'd say perhaps, weeks 4-6, if I remember right? I literally couldn't find anything at the store that sounded appetizing, and I felt nauseated just going to the store or the thought of eating food. I almost reverted to a liquid diet, as I knew that Protein Shakes were the best bang for the buck. It eventually went away, I woke up hungry one day, and I knew exactly what I wanted.