Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you get in enough fluids and Protein post op?

Hello everyone!

I'm new to this forum (well I've been registered and lurking since my surgery) and am 9 days Post Op (surgery date 8/10/18).

I am having a very very hard time with getting in my fluids and Protein Shakes. I think I'm having issues with knowing how to "pace" or "sip" I tried having some Soup (butternut squash like pureed) and I felt like I over ate each time, same with chicken broth I think I might sip on it too fast? I try to sip Water throughout the day and I get nervous that I'm going to go too fast or take too much or do something wrong to my baby stomach. :( I have already been to the dr once for IV fluids and a B 12 shot and I don't want to have to do that again but it's so hard for me (I practiced before surgery and everything!) I feel good otherwise but the not eating or drinking enough leaves me tired walking up stairs or from the kitchen to the living room. I just now reintroduced myself back to taking my Iron pills, and heartburn pills. I keep forgetting to take the Multivitamin and Calcium because I'm always trying to sip water and get my Protein shakes/'foods" in so my dr gave me permission to order the Patches.

I want to do things right and not mess up but this part is harder than I thought! If anyone has any tips/tricks they can offer I would be most grateful! I have an app that tells me to drink every 15 minutes but I still can't get 64 oz in. :(

Kristy

I used alarms and a schedule checklist, also 64oz was the goal by a few weeks post op according to my plan. They wanted us to gradually work our way up.

Hot fluids went down much easier and things I liked I drank the quickest (tea, sugar free light hot chocolate, Decaf coffee, Vitamin Water zero,etc) plain water was a nightmare. Thankfully every Fluid counted towards my hydration goal. I would have never made it on pure water alone.

Adding Protein Shake to my tea, hot chocolate and coffee was invaluable early on. I added Protein powder/shake to everything.

pace yourself and sip constantly

You can do it!

Edited by GreenTealael

sugar free popsicles count as fluids too. Maybe less Soup and more thin liquids that won't fill you up so much? Did you like to drink Water before surgery? I added skim milk to Protein Shakes due to not liking the syrupy sweetness of the shakes. Maybe drink your broth more slowly? I assume you carry your beverage of choice with you everywhere you go. I can't afford to not be sipping throughout the entire day or I won't get my fluids in. Good luck!

Try all different temperatures to see what your new tummy likes. Some days, mine liked hot, other days room temp, other days ice cold. I also set out 16 ounce bottles and tried to drink when they were empty. Keep sipping. Try flavors of Crystal Light. It's tough to figure out the first couple of weeks.

Asked my Dr same thing. How am I supposed to get all this Water in and Protein when only supposed to do an ounce at a time. Told me not to fret over it and to concentrate on getting protein in. Just about everything at this stage counts as protein and against your water totals. liquid is all encompassing. I actually got 80 protein in today but it was very hard. Also made up protein sugar free pudding pops with almond milk

Thanks everyone, I’ve been living on sf popsicles!! I loooved Water pre surgery now it’s not so great. I have Powerade zero, Vitamin water and crystal light and it all tastes soo sweet...oh duh maybe I should water it down! I can eat sf Jello and pudding with no issue but the Protein Shakes I need to find a new way...I wonder if you can freeze them to like a “fudge pop” has anyone tried that? Some days cottage cheese agrees with me and other days nope.

So do I just keep sipping and not worry about timing?

Also let’s say I took a sip of water do I then have to wait 30 min before having jello?

Sorry for so many questions.

No. On my clear and full liquid chart Jello is on both add a liquid so no waiting. Yes you can freeze as a fudge pop too!

Thank you @AJP

13 minutes ago, kristy2671 said:

Thanks everyone, I’ve been living on sf popsicles!! I loooved Water pre surgery now it’s not so great. I have Powerade zero, Vitamin Water and crystal light and it all tastes soo sweet...oh duh maybe I should water it down! I can eat sf Jello and pudding with no issue but the Protein Shakes I need to find a new way...I wonder if you can freeze them to like a “fudge pop” has anyone tried that? Some days cottage cheese agrees with me and other days nope.

So do I just keep sipping and not worry about timing?

Also let’s say I took a sip of water do I then have to wait 30 min before having Jello?

Sorry for so many questions.

Not sure which Protein Shake you drink but premier caramel in coffee is one of the best ways ever. Its like a Starbucks treat when done right

I have the Cookies and cream and the bananas and cream....I bet that would be good the caramel in a coffee...But what kind of coffee do you use? Decaf?

A friend also suggested I warm up the cookies and cream and it’s like hot chocolate....

Whoever suggested adding milk to my shake thank you I will try that also

I use unsweetened almond milk for my Protein pudding pop mixture. For my shakes I use fairlife fat free.

I love Protein Water for this purpose. I take something called Prowater, it has 25g of protein and 480ml of liquid in one bottle and it doesn't give me nausea. I develop gas if I take dairy (which feels like nausea), especially if I sip too fast. Not so with protein water.

@AJP and @ Littel_Urchin , thank you for your postings. Both good suggestions.

11 hours ago, kristy2671 said:

Hello everyone!

I'm new to this forum (well I've been registered and lurking since my surgery) and am 9 days Post Op (surgery date 8/10/18).

I am having a very very hard time with getting in my fluids and Protein Shakes. I think I'm having issues with knowing how to "pace" or "sip" I tried having some Soup (butternut squash like pureed) and I felt like I over ate each time, same with chicken broth I think I might sip on it too fast? I try to sip Water throughout the day and I get nervous that I'm going to go too fast or take too much or do something wrong to my baby stomach. :( I have already been to the dr once for IV fluids and a B 12 shot and I don't want to have to do that again but it's so hard for me (I practiced before surgery and everything!) I feel good otherwise but the not eating or drinking enough leaves me tired walking up stairs or from the kitchen to the living room. I just now reintroduced myself back to taking my Iron pills, and heartburn pills. I keep forgetting to take the Multivitamin and Calcium because I'm always trying to sip Water and get my Protein shakes/'foods" in so my dr gave me permission to order the Patches.

I want to do things right and not mess up but this part is harder than I thought! If anyone has any tips/tricks they can offer I would be most grateful! I have an app that tells me to drink every 15 minutes but I still can't get 64 oz in. :(

Kristy

Kristy, if you feel your sipping to fast go to Walmart and get a child's sippy cup I did this and when I finish using it I will give it to my twin granddaughters so its not a waste as they still use those.

9 hours ago, kristy2671 said:

I have the Cookies and cream and the bananas and cream....I bet that would be good the caramel in a coffee...But what kind of coffee do you use? Decaf?

A friend also suggested I warm up the Cookies and cream and it’s like hot chocolate....

Whoever suggested adding milk to my shake thank you I will try that also

Decaf coffee for the premier caramel early out, regular when my team ok'ed it.

I actual used cookies and cream once or twice also for a more mocha flavor, not bad either