Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Am This Close To Goal As Of Today!!!

Hi everyone, haven't been in here lately but thought I would check in with happy news! Today I almost cried when I did my daily weigh in because I am finally in the 120's! I started at 251 lbs on the day of surgery on April 18th, /06 and this morning I was 129.6 lbs. My goal is 125 lbs. and I was feeling very down on myself lately because I had been dealing with some heavy medical issues (not band related) and was up and down between 132 - 133 lbs.

Yes I know that to some of you that are still a long way to goal it may not seem like I have much to complain about BUT I have been on this journey for almost 19 months. I have a lot of bandster friends but I also attend support groups where I am sometimes one of only a couple of bandsters and it can be hard seeing people who have had gastric bypass or more drastic wls like duodenal switch drop their weight soooo much faster than us.

Also I previously had weight loss surgery 20 yrs. ago (VBG) and after going from 260 down to 113 lbs. it was devastating when I experienced staple line disruption and became morbidly obese again over the years.

I actually am more terrified of when I reach goal in some ways (though will still be thrilled!) because the old wls failure will be triggering me. I am definitely still a compulsive eater and food addict and probably will be for the rest of my life. (Though miracles can happen over time!) I don't mind admitting that I am also worrying that I may develop band problems that will result in weight regain but I know it is counter productive to fixate on that.

The best advice I can give other bandsters is that we are all different and try to find what helps you succeed as a bandster and stick with it. For me the key is having GOOD RESTRICTION, I just can't do nearly as well without it. I am blessed to live only a few miles down the road from my clinic that is in Mississauga but even if you don't budget for trips back or find a good fill doctor with your surgeon's help you can get to. Also support from fellow bandsters and other types of weight loss surgery patients. I am THE bandster socialite! I love emailing, meeting for coffees, lunches, dinners and attending support groups in varying cities to give and receive support. As a stay at home mom it is especially meaningful to me as I need that connection.

Last but not least do be your own best advocate and when you are struggling reach out to your surgeons, clinics and others. We paid top bucks for this lapband and we know best when something is wrong or we need help. We all relapse at times, and we all have bumps along the road (sometimes even hit potholes!) Never feel ashamed to say you are struggling and need help to get back on track. I remember being about four months out and still waiting to hit my sweet spot and almost gave up on this whole band, thank God now that I did not and soon hit good restriction on my 4th fill. I know of a few other bandsters done around my time from the messageboards that did get discouraged enough that they just drifted off never to be heard of again and I always pray that they at least will sometime return to their surgeon and find success. I know my band surgeon Dr. Cobourn is always telling me when we discuss this that he wants to know when we are struggling and please tell them to call the clinic if any problems. I know from what I have heard that TLBC is the same.

I remember when I had a breast lift after my first weight loss surgery years ago that the plastic surgeon wanted to do a lift and for optimum results add small saline implants. I said no way! I do not want any silicone or plastic in me! (It was enough I had staples!) Well here I am with a gastric band in me that is a type of silicone and filled with saline and loving it! :clap2: The irony is not lost on me! :) (Still glad I didn't get the breast implants though :))

Congratulations Donna! What a momentus occasion. Your post is full of good advice and what really sticks with me is reaching out for help when needed, going to support meetings and events and most of all good restriction! I had my 4th fill the other day and only now can see that I was not at my sweet spot previously. I would eat to fill, but would mostly feel hunger about 1 hour later. Now I am finding that I can go 3+ hours without hunger and my portions are so much smaller.

Congratulations again and thank you for your words of wisdom.

Susan

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. Your words really resonate with me because I just had my third fill this week and I'm finally feeling restriction. I've been banded for over 3 months and it was getting discouraging hearing about others quick weight loss when I didn't even like I was banded. As sick as this sounds, yesterday while I was in exteme pain, PBing up a piece of cheese, I couldn't help but be happy that this band was finally working! And no more cheese for me :biggrin1:

Wow! Congratulations. I will never go to the 120's, because that would be too low for me at 5'7". However, I admire you for getting there! Did you knock the scale over when you did your cartwheels!

Congratulations!

Sue

Susan - I'm glad you came back to the site and went to your clinic. Trust me we all struggle at times but we CAN get through it. :clap2:

Aza - It was 4 fills and 4 months for me to reach my first sweet spot and it drove me crazy when friends would post great restriction at 1st or 2nd fill! :)

Sue - No I did not knock over scale - it is my best friend (at least today! We have a love hate relationship.):) By the way you are doing excellent! I was only down 50 lbs. for the same length of time you are now banded. :biggrin1:

Hey Mandi, I never realized how close you too are to goal! :) Well considering I have a bunch of social bandster get togethers coming up you will probably beat me - but what the heck, sure! By the way I am a little shrimp of 5'2 and very small frame so every pound shows. :rolleyes

Wow Donna, I'm soooooo happy for you. You are such an inspiration! Thank you for sharing your journey with us. Sometimes at the beginning it can be easy to get dscouraged when the weight loss is slow but reading about your success has given me hope.

:whoo::whoo::whoo::whoo::whoo::whoo::whoo:

Wow! Congrats, Donna. Thanks for giving this newbie some great tips.

You should post your before and after pics on that general questions section. I'd love to see the difference.

Thanks for your kind words everyone! Donna D I still have to get out and buy some dress pants but will wait till the week of the event. Can't wait!

Lizzie if you knew how unphotogenic I am even when thin you'd understand why I am camera shy! :phanvan

How is the restriction going Donna D and Cindy D?

Much better now thanks Lori - it seems to be getting there. Jason (my 16 year old) is getting very used to finishing my meals! He informed me that it is his contribution to helping me reach my goals.

Hubby and I have tickets to a 7 course wine and food matching dinner Saturday night. For $195.00 each, I plan on thoroughly enjoying myself, but bringing every ounce of food home that I can't eat - the wine however will be another matter, we are taking a cab.... Jason will be in 7th heaven.

Cindy