Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feels like I am waiting for my death....

My surgery is on Friday. I just feel like I am waiting for my death. It is so terrible, and I am so scared ugh! Anyone else feel that way? Am I being overdramatic? Please provide some encouragement!

Honestly, you’re being dramatic.
But, how you feel is how you feel. So, it’s valid. Maybe research statistics to reinforce that you fears are not based on reality? Stay active to keep your brain busy? Talk to your therapist?
I wish you the very best.

I was sleeved July 10th and I was very afraid. Thought I was going to die during the surgery. You will be fine. Going under anesthesia can be scary but you will be in very good hands. Keep yourself busy and make peace with your decision to move forward. It happens so quickly you’ll be up and walking off those gas pains before you know it! Best of luck to you!

I was terrified going into surgery. I truly thought I was going to die. I went so far as to remind my family exactly what my wishes are for what should happen after I die. I was sleeved on July 18, and I am here today, almost 1 month later. It is ok for you to be terrified. Surgery, even laproscopic surgery is a BIG deal.

What I would suggest you consider is if your fear of death is actually a way to cover for fear of what your new life is going to look like. I know that was at least partly true for me. I was legitimately scared of actually dying, but I also new that my life, as I had known it, would be over when I woke up from surgery. That is a terrifying prospect too.. but one that is much harder to articulate than the fear of actual death.

Whatever your fear... you are allowed to feel that way... just don't let it get in your way. Take deep breaths and keep moving forward.

49 minutes ago, jultrim18 said:

My surgery is on Friday. I just feel like I am waiting for my death. It is so terrible, and I am so scared ugh! Anyone else feel that way? Am I being overdramatic? Please provide some encouragement!

Yes my surgery was 8/6/2018 and I was afraid I was going to die, I woke up the morning of my surgery and really wanted to cancel. I didn't and I'm glad I am 1 week post op and feeling great!! the first day was a little rough but nothing like I expected. I was up and walking 6 hrs post op. I think going in expecting the worst and finding out it really wasn't that bad helped me. P.s. this was my first surgery ever.

You'll be fine, I promise! I just had my surgery Thursday and I was super nervous. I calmed down while I was waiting but as they were wheeling me back to the OR, part of me wanted to jump off the bed and run. But once it is done, you'll be glad you did it.

Statistically, this surgery is safer than joint replacements or gallbladder removals. And both of those are also considered safe. Like... do people sometimes not make it? Yes (0.08% for the first 30 days, or 8 out of 10,000 people), but that's why we have to do so much pre-op screening and the pre-op liquid diet: to give us the best possible chance.

Also, take some comfort: the gastric sleeve is safer than the gastric band or the gastric bypass. You picked the safest option, and you will feel so much better soon.

We're all cheering for you!

It is common to be afraid just prior to major surgery. To get your mind off things, I recommend the following unless you have already done these.

1. Take a good before photograph of yourself, so that you have something to compare to after surgery. Many times we are blind to our obesity. We do not see ourselves. Therefore when the weight begins to drop off rather dramatically, we question if this is really happening. Photographs are a good visualization of our success. Many people carry a before and after photo with them, just to remind themselves of their success.

2. Walk 30 minutes each day, every day until surgery (or equivalent exercise). Walking helps the recovery process go smoothly and minimized the pain levels from surgery.

3. Wean yourself from caffeine and carbonated beverages now. After I gave up my 6 diet coke a day habit, I suffered from a week of severe withdrawal syndrome consisting of severe headaches and body aches. I was miserable. You don't want to combine the effects of caffeine withdrawal with the effects of surgery.

I was scared too, but this is so routine. They do these surgeries ALL the time. You will be fine!!!

I have had 2 knee replacement surgeries, had my fall bladder out in the bad old days when everthing was OPEN. I have had other surgeries, some Ambulatory some requirng hospitalization.
And at 72, a LOT CLOSER to MORTALITY than you! And I am not frightened, not a bit. Lets examine just a few reasons.
1 I really really want THIS Surgery. I started seeking it,is August 2015. I have suffered twists, turns, ups and downs in this persuit. If I tried to sell my story to TV they would refuse it as implausible, not even real enough for a soap opera, yet I LIVED it!
2. I have few people left in my family. In the 2000s I have had a lot of deaths in my life. My mother,my mother- in- law, both,in the same year, 11 aunts and uncles, some i,loved as extra parents,my godmother, many friends and acqaitances, many,of them younger and seemed to be in good health,my husband 6 years ago at the age,of 70 on the 4th,of July, yes the day I should have been celebrating my country's Independance and a son suddenly at the age of 31 suddenly. And although there a few still left to,mourn me every year the number grows smaller. It has gone from a massive funeral, wake and procession to local cemetery to a picnic,luncheon at the local park and a scrapbook for people to look at.
3. It can only improve my health,mobility and future life. A body riddled with arthritis, obesity, being short,of breath, unable to walk around the block only once before I have to rest, not,being able to sit in many chairs because they are too narrow, being more comfortable in bed then up and,moving. Sure I still have a life, but it is not giggles and laughs anymore.
4 I do trust,my surgeon. Oh Frustr8 is VERY very careful who she trusts with her body. Scars, dings, missing paint here and there on my chassis, but IT is STILL MINE. I checked out my doctors reputation, his bio, his statement of purpose, whether he had patients my age before and,most important had he ever had fatalities as a general or Bariatric Surgeon? Since i,now love ME I wanted to give myself,the very best I could. And he is perfect as a surgeon, but I still wanted to meet him, how did he present himself? He is more than a people mechanic , he will,hold my very,life in those hands. Wanted to,make sure he had no tremors or twitches. And all is good.
4 I learned as much as I could about surgeries available. I am 72, no time for "do overs" this has to be,very good. Actually had decided before I met my doctor, Dr Needleman, what surgery I would seek, sure I might listen to his medical advice, but MY BODY, MY CHOICE!
So on September 5th I will March proudly through the front doors of Rhodes Hall, the admission area before 5 AM, with a sm8le, happy that,he day has finally come. I don't know what all the steps from them on will be but I can and will go forth happily. And at 7AM, give or take a few minutes, I will be wheeled through the Operating Doors, frankly I would prefer to walk but I will make that concession. And there clad in all his Sterile garb will be my Bradley J Needleman MD, the Big Kahuna, the director of Bariatric Surgery and Metabolic Weight Loss at the Ohio State University-Wexner Medical Center, a full Professor in the College of Medicine. When Frustr8 went surgeon fishing she landed herself a Trophy Specimen.I sure there will be a lot of other people there,this is, after all, a Teaching Hospital as well as a Bariatric Center of Excellence. I will go peacefully to sleep, my arms extending out to each side, I will be intubated, my gown removed,my tummy blown up with CO2 gas to the point I look like I am expecting octuplets, and quite a few more people will learn. that I am a redhead all over. Makes no never mind to me, I'll be sound asleep. And I will receive my RnY, my tool , my key to a brighter thinner future. And I expect to wake up,in the Recovery Room still smiling. What not, if I weren't lying down I'd be wagging my tail. A little tummy pain? Pish Tosh, I've had acute pancreatitis, this has got to,be a walk in the park after THAT PAIN!
I expect to be,up and walking, no Cath in place, so it will be "Tinkle Time", walk walk walk and sip sip sip until I recover in a few days to go home. Only concession to my age is I might get to stay longer.
Que sera sera!
So my young friend I am not waiting for death, I rather look to life triumpant afterwards and you should too. What came before is merely a prelude to the Future.

6 hours ago, jultrim18 said:

That's almost funny because I feel in limbo, like I'm waiting for my life to start...

Edited by Chrisb428

10 hours ago, on my way to a new me said:

Yes my surgery was 8/6/2018 and I was afraid I was going to die, I woke up the morning of my surgery and really wanted to cancel. I didn't and I'm glad I am 1 week post op and feeling great!! the first day was a little rough but nothing like I expected. I was up and walking 6 hrs post op. I think going in expecting the worst and finding out it really wasn't that bad helped me. P.s. this was my first surgery ever.

My surgery was 8-7, do you feel left side pain still? I feel I did well walked the night of surgery as well. I am still have pain on left side, nothing unbearable or intense, just pain. I still take pain meds, one in afternoon and one around bedtime. How about you?

No pain in my left side, slight pain in my right side. I was off my pain meds before I left the hospital( day after surgery.) They did give me pain meds to take home and I have only used them twice. The first few days I had trouble sipping , it really was work! It's day seven and the only problem I seem to have is putting my shoes on so I can go to the gym.

That is a terrible way to think going into surgery smh wow. Positive thinking is what you need to do. Slogan: Change you mind change your life.

2 hours ago, on my way to a new me said:

No pain in my left side, slight pain in my right side. I was off my pain meds before I left the hospital( day after surgery.) They did give me pain meds to take home and I have only used them twice. The first few days I had trouble sipping , it really was work! It's day seven and the only problem I seem to have is putting my shoes on so I can go to the gym.

Thanks for the update, my pain might just be gas, hopefully