Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgeon doesn’t require a liquid pre op

I’m having a revision Thursday morning . My old lap band is being removed and revised to an rny. He’s like the top in his game but I did find it unusually wonderful that he is not requiring any kind of pre Op dieting or even a day of clear prior . In fact I can actually drink Water up until 3 hours prior . The only thing he mentioned after I received my approval was “hey eat low carb high protein” . I had that pre op weigh last week and had not gained and lost a few and nothing was mentioned . I’m only 215 but need this done for a slip and other health issues . Should I start a liquid diet for myself tomorrow just to kick start and make it easier? I had my band unfilled 3 months ago after ten years of barely eating and major weight loss. I ate a burger today like it was my last meal ever lol. I also had an Iron infusion so I’m feeling the yummy distress now . I just wonder if I should do liquid though he doesn’t require it f risk feeling weaker since I’m Profoundly anemic and symptomatic right now .

I was put on a very strict 2 week diet that involved four Protein Drinks plus a normal meal every day. While not required, the bariatric coordinator did recommend drinking a bottle of magnesium citrate to "clean me out" before surgery. She said that she found that it makes it easier post-op. No bowel movements of (larger) proportions, and also less gas.

If you're going to do it though, do it tomorrow morning. It took me several hours to kick in, and I was up most of the night. Doing it now makes sure you're not still in the "cleaning" stage when you come in for your procedure.

BTW, I was a band to RNY myself. It is so nice not to choke and clear my throat every 10 minutes! :)

Yep severe gerd and intolerance . I wasn’t gaining a ton but was becoming nutritionally deficient throwing up and barely tolerating Water . They unfilled and immediate relief and not taking reflux meds . My bowels are looser at the moment post this infusion but I can do a clean out for sure because I heard post op poops are difficult .

Hey good good luck Thursday and update us when you're through. Hope everything goes just perfect. 😝

I’m having a revision Thursday morning . My old lap band is being removed and revised to an rny. He’s like the top in his game but I did find it unusually wonderful that he is not requiring any kind of pre Op dieting or even a day of clear prior . In fact I can actually drink Water up until 3 hours prior . The only thing he mentioned after I received my approval was “hey eat low carb high protein” . I had that pre op weigh last week and had not gained and lost a few and nothing was mentioned . I’m only 215 but need this done for a slip and other health issues . Should I start a liquid diet for myself tomorrow just to kick start and make it easier? I had my band unfilled 3 months ago after ten years of barely eating and major weight loss. I ate a burger today like it was my last meal ever lol. I also had an Iron infusion so I’m feeling the yummy distress now . I just wonder if I should do liquid though he doesn’t require it f risk feeling weaker since I’m Profoundly anemic and symptomatic right now .
Hello sld21, I did my rny surgery in Columbia and my Dr. Did not require a liquid diet either. I was instructed to eat a light dinner (soup) and that's it. I had my surgery the next day at 12pm. I also thought it was strange but I realize in different parts of the world and different Doctors all have their own rules and way of doing things. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G965F using BariatricPal mobile app

Yeah I ate Greek yogurt and oatmeal this morning but okay on eating light today and doing magnesium citrate drink to flush it all out by Thursday morning . I just don’t want a painful bowel movement a ew days after .