Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Internal Hernia post surgery?

I'm curious for those people that are a few weeks out - I'm recovering quite well, no food or vomiting issues, and after an initial bout of loose stools, I'm back to Constipation as we're somewhat used to. (I got the okay today to take a chewable Fiber pill so long as I get enough fluids in).

Anyways, all of my incisions are healing good, and the dermabond is coming off as the doctor said it would...but...a few days ago I started experiencing pain in my lower torso, next to my biggest incision. It happens to be the incision that is "dented in". The pain feels a bit like a tear and it gets worse when rolling around in bed (I'm a side/belly/back sleeper LOL) and when bending over a certain way, and getting into/out of a car. I would describe the pain as instantaneous and 4/10, but as soon as the posture is corrected, the pain goes back to zero.

The pain has gotten worse over the last few days. I've already left a message for my surgeon's office, so I'm awaiting what they say.

I already wear an abdominal binder, but find that if I press the area in (somewhat hard) the pain is lessened a bit). I think this sounds like an internal hernia, but I wanted to see if anyone else experienced this and what happened. Did you have to undergo a second surgery to fix it? Or general anesthesia to suture it up? Or simply "try not to move" for a few weeks while it heals?

I haven't done anything that I can think of that would have caused this, other than I think I felt it first when I twisted in bed transitioning from my back to my side.

May I ask about the "dent"? Im 3 days post op and the main incision where he did most of his work is a little dented in and above it is swollen. Apparently this is normal for the "main" area of work. Im very very sensitive here. Not anywhere else really where the other incisions were made. I had bypass with hiatal hernia repair and man does it hurt on that dented side. I wonder if thats just a normality and takes longer to heal because there was so much being done. Ive been worried myself as if I pulled something because I accidentally rolled off the bed too hard, coughed a few times, freaking myself out if I did something. I would definitely check with them hopefully they will call you back soon. I might even ask them to take a look at me later this week when I go in for my drain removal.

Edited by GeminiSky

It’s normal to have the feeling you’re describing. I had problems bending certain ways. I also couldn’t sleep on my side or rolling. If felt odd. Getting out of the car or recliner was hard at times and had some pulling feelings. I think it’s just normal and it takes time to go away. I would say it finally elevated around 5-6 weeks post op.

If you want structuralist your worries read the thread on Petersen's Hernia, scare the bejabbers out of you, she made it through surgery in the UK, feeling better and sharing the story.

On 8/2/2018 at 4:17 PM, GeminiSky said:

May I ask about the "dent"? Im 3 days post op and the main incision where he did most of his work is a little dented in and above it is swollen. Apparently this is normal for the "main" area of work. Im very very sensitive here. Not anywhere else really where the other incisions were made. I had bypass with hiatal hernia repair and man does it hurt on that dented side. I wonder if thats just a normality and takes longer to heal because there was so much being done. Ive been worried myself as if I pulled something because I accidentally rolled off the bed too hard, coughed a few times, freaking myself out if I did something. I would definitely check with them hopefully they will call you back soon. I might even ask them to take a look at me later this week when I go in for my drain removal.

I'm sorry I forgot to respond. Unfortunately the pain has gotten worse for me. My biggest incision is on my right side and is about 1.5" in length. I would say it is "Dented in" about an inch or so. I would say the first few weeks it was a bit sensitive, but the sensitivity went away after that time - up until about a week ago, when (I think) I had a hernia. When I was going #2 today, I pushed in on the dent because of the pain, and at one point, I felt a pop, and the pain got worse. The dent didn't change at all, but I'm fairly sure that something popped through a hole in my abdominal wall - something I can't see or feel. The doctor's office hasn't called back yet though and I will call them shortly.

I don't want to run to the ER because it will cost (a lot) more for services, I'll probably get the flu from someone next to me, Also I'd rather not have an ER doctor, not really familiar with the procedure, perform an open surgery when (maybe) it isn't needed. Oh and then there's my anxiety. I won't bore with details, but when you have an anxiety problem like I do, to be effective, you have to double-think yourself - determine if going to the hospital is to satisfy the anxiety (bad - "giving in" and encouraging it) or if it is medically needed (good).

I've thought about going to urgent care, and then see if they will admit me to the hospital, but at the same time, I don't want to go, pay the copay, and then have them tell me to go to the er.

(us anxious types overthink just about everything as you can see)

It may be nothing,than an internal stitch,popping free, I believe every surgeon puts them in for extra support, when you body heals enough that you don't need them , they pop free. A lot of people are complaining of pain in Just that location.Follow a couple of the other threads and you'll see. Bit bring it up to your surgeon's office if it gives you peace of mind.

I got off the phone with my surgeon's office Nurse Practitioner and he asked me a lot of questions. At the end, he told me that I'm still healing and so long as everything is okay, not to worry about it. He told me if the pain doesn't get better within a couple of days they would make an appointment for me so I wouldn't have to go to the ER,

I was also told to slow down on my drinking and he reiterated the 10# weight limit until 6 weeks. I'm very glad he got back to me when he did, I was about 90 minutes away from going to the ER.

Thank y'all for helping me out. It's so strange that this pain kind of came from nowhere.

Sure is but I'm filing this in the back,of my mind in case it happens to men You just never know, it could!