Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Intolerance to Artificial Sweeter

Help! Unfortunately, I'm allergic to artificial sweeteners which is making my liquid phase of my postop challenging. broth and Water is getting old. Would others who have the same allergy share products you like that are free of artificial sweeteners. Thanks

Have you tried Sweet Leaf liquid? It is a natural sweetener and the only one that does not cause me digestive discomfort. My nutritionist recommended it. This is the only one she approves.

On 07/05/2018 at 18:31, BubblesCT said:

Help! Unfortunately, I'm allergic to artificial sweeteners which is making my liquid phase of my postop challenging. broth and Water is getting old. Would others who have the same allergy share products you like that are free of artificial sweeteners. Thanks

What about agave, it’s a natural sweetener. I don’t use a lot but it helps in tea. Or I’ve heard of Swerve Sweetner.

2 hours ago, IveGotThePower said:

Have you tried Sweet Leaf liquid? It is a natural sweetener and the only one that does not cause me digestive discomfort. My nutritionist recommended it. This is the only one she approves.

I have not, I will give it a try. Thank YOU so much!

1 hour ago, AshAsh1 said:
3 hours ago, BubblesCT said:

What about agave, it’s a natural sweetener. I don’t use a lot but it helps in tea. Or I’ve heard of Swerve Sweetner.

I will give Agave a try. I will check out Swerve Sweetener as well. Thanks a million!

Monkfruit is also good, I usually use stevia .Don't miss white suger one bit!

I use stevia too and if you want something that's quick and easy flavor in your bottled Water, TruLemon is great. It's sweetened with stevia. I can't tolerate aspartame and similar sweeteners (even before surgery) but I have no problem with stevia.

I never had a problem pre-op, but post op I have developed an intolerance to both aspartame and citric acid. Good to know there are alternatives - have found that I need to be careful with reading labels now though.

Gives me horrendous stomach cramps (and quite often end up throwing up) - founds it in the most unlikely things - had an episode this afternoon - in Portugal on holiday and had the tiniest, mist inoffensive looking biscuit....after much cramping discovered it had citric acid as an ingredient!

Simply Delish Jel Dessert, I even like the taste better. I couldn't take all the weird colors coming out of me with the "unlimited sugar free jello" on my diet plan. I know we don't absorb food coloring, but I just felt like that could not be healthy! I also use TruLemon. Propel didn't bother me, but I needed to lower my sodium. I only found the Jello online . Here is a link.

https://www.amazon.com/Simply-delish-Natural-Dessert-6-pack/dp/B006OCGSCM/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1530890304&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=simply%2Bdelish%2Bjel&smid=A1V7AQ65OVGQEL&th=1

Edited by okayestmom
Typo

You reminded me of something. Tomkitten, the heir to my miniscule fortune, had a colonoscopy at 38, we have some bowel problems in family so didn't wait till 40 or 50. After all the liquid and evil bowel purge, he still had a chunk of green hello hanging on his colon wall! Our gastroenterologist gives us a full color print out of what he discovered. FYI everything tested clear except he has internal hemorrhoids, And a new respect for bowel cleansing! LOL😛

42 minutes ago, okayestmom said:

Simply Delish Jel Dessert, I even like the taste better. I couldn't take all the weird colors coming out of me with the "unlimited sugar free jello" on my diet plan. I know we don't absorb food coloring, but I just felt like that could not be healthy! I also use TruLemon. Propel didn't bother me, but I needed to lower my sodium. I only found the Jello online . Here is a link.

https://www.amazon.com/Simply-delish-Natural-Dessert-6-pack/dp/B006OCGSCM/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1530890304&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=simply%2Bdelish%2Bjel&smid=A1V7AQ65OVGQEL&th=1

Awesome..the thought of Jello makes me smile. Thanks a ton.

1 hour ago, RosieQueenofScots said:

I never had a problem pre-op, but post op I have developed an intolerance to both aspartame and citric acid. Good to know there are alternatives - have found that I need to be careful with reading labels now though.

Gives me horrendous stomach cramps (and quite often end up throwing up) - founds it in the most unlikely things - had an episode this afternoon - in Portugal on holiday and had the tiniest, mist inoffensive looking biscuit....after much cramping discovered it had citric acid as an ingredient!

Sorry to hear about that. It's crazy how many foods and beverages have citric acid.

2 hours ago, oopsydaisy said:

I use stevia too and if you want something that's quick and easy flavor in your bottled Water, TruLemon is great. It's sweetened with stevia. I can't tolerate aspartame and similar sweeteners (even before surgery) but I have no problem with stevia.

Thanks