Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Concerned about caloric intake

It’s almost laughable to write this, but at any rate here we go. I recently transitioned in to week 3 post op. My plan has me moving on to no more than 1/4 cup of tuna fish, canned salmon, 1/2 an egg and so on. I am using the My Fitness Pal app and adding up my calories for the day and I am finding myself concerned about eating 500 calories per day. Before surgery I would have considered this starving, now I am concerned that this is too much. Hahaha I think I’m going bonkers.

Height: 6’3”
HW:375
SW: 338
CW: 310

At the soft foods stage I was told 500-800 calories was about right, but it depends on a number of factors. Check with your doctor.

Hi I had my sleeve 07/2/2018 less than a week post op. And it has been challenging. I am very gassy which has me in pain all day long . Am still on the diet that i was given at the hospital which is:

1 yogurt

1 Protein Shake

I cup yea

2 bottles of Water and 1 christalite

And I can barely talk it all in for the day cus every time I take a sip in something the gas starts acing up in my stomach n throat which hurts like hell.

On 7/4/2018 at 6:06 PM, Sweedfire86 said:

It’s almost laughable to write this, but at any rate here we go. I recently transitioned in to week 3 post op. My plan has me moving on to no more than 1/4 cup of tuna fish, canned salmon, 1/2 an egg and so on. I am using the My Fitness Pal app and adding up my calories for the day and I am finding myself concerned about eating 500 calories per day. Before surgery I would have considered this starving, now I am concerned that this is too much. Hahaha I think I’m going bonkers.

Height: 6’3”
HW:375
SW: 338
CW: 310

I had very similar reactions as i was transitioning to soft solids. The simple truth is yes as you move back on each step you will be taking in more calories, but at the same time you should also be seeing more and more caloric burn from additional movement and exercise. one thing my nutritionist did for me was put me on a machine that gives you all types of numbers along with what my expected daily caloric burn would be both with just laying around and living and factoring in my exercise. right now i am burning 1958 calories just to stay alive, but then factor in the 1200+ that im burning through exercise each day and it starts to put things in perspective that the 500 or 600 calories you might be taking in is still just fine. Best bet if you feel unsure is talk to your nutritionist or surgeon and they can let you know if you should be worried, but i think you should be just fine right now.

55 minutes ago, Babes911 said:

Hi I had my sleeve 07/2/2018 less than a week post op. And it has been challenging. I am very gassy which has me in pain all day long . Am still on the diet that i was given at the hospital which is:

1 yogurt

1 Protein Shake

I cup yea

2 bottles of Water and 1 christalite

And I can barely talk it all in for the day cus every time I take a sip in something the gas starts acing up in my stomach n throat which hurts like hell.

Walk, walk walk and then walk some more. One of the problems you have is that the gas will gather in certain spots, one of which is in the large intestines as it crosses along the top of your abdomen, right before it descends down to your colon. Now can you guess what your stomach pushes on when you put something into it? yep you got it; the large intestines where it crosses your abdomen. The good news is it will pass (and i mean that both ways :) ) but walking is the best bet to keep things moving along and stopping the collection of gas within your intestines.