Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating “normal” with portion control

Has anyone been able to make this dream a reality? I have spent my whole life dieting and restricting myself. I would love to be able to eat small bites of “normal” food, aka not some crazy restricted diet, and stay small after surgery. I love the idea of eating small bites and savoring each one rather than eating quickly and not even tasting the food I eat. I would love to hear some positive affirmation about this!!! Bring on the success stories :)

I eat what ever I want, except bread and regular Pasta, without any problems. I just eat of of a smaller plate or split with my niece or nephew when we go out.

17 minutes ago, SouthernGirl76 said:

I eat what ever I want, except bread

yep this right here. everything i eat is normal food found on any dinner plate in the country but in a small portion and without the processed carbs of any kind.

If i have learned 1 thing in the last 10 months it is processed carbs will kill me if i let them. It is that simple.

have your "normal" food and enjoy each bite and never think about it again.

The only issue you will have is if you think normal food comes processed and sold in a box from the center of the store. Stick to the 3 walls and you will have a lock on this whole post op eating thing.

Yay!!! Thank you all SO MUCH. This is my dream after surgery. I def don’t consider boxed or processed food “real” food. I am so so glad to hear you all are able to eat normally in small amounts! I think that’s been my downfall is I always went on extreme diets and cut out foods and food groups then would eat too much of everything I deprived myself of......so it was one bad yo-yo cycle where I was never able to Portion Control with normal eating. I just want to let go of all the obsessing about food and eat normally again!

57 minutes ago, allwet said:

yep this right here. everything i eat is normal food found on any dinner plate in the country but in a small portion and without the processed carbs of any kind.

If i have learned 1 thing in the last 10 months it is processed carbs will kill me if i let them. It is that simple.

have your "normal" food and enjoy each bite and never think about it again.

The only issue you will have is if you think normal food comes processed and sold in a box from the center of the store. Stick to the 3 walls and you will have a lock on this whole post op eating thing.

This is a great post! I like the idea of sticking to the 3 walls.

On 07/01/2018 at 16:28, Elle_Woods said:

Has anyone been able to make this dream a reality? I have spent my whole life dieting and restricting myself. I would love to be able to eat small bites of “normal” food, aka not some crazy restricted diet, and stay small after surgery. I love the idea of eating small bites and savoring each one rather than eating quickly and not even tasting the food I eat. I would love to hear some positive affirmation about this!!! Bring on the success stories :)
I think it depends on what you consider normal. Unfortunately most western diets normal means highly processed foods, high sugar and high fat which is a deadly combination

If by normal you mean lots of veggies, unrefined carbs and healthy Proteins and fats then no problem, sounds like a good maintenance diet.

For myself as I get close to goal it’s becoming clear for me that I will always want those things and will have to manage myself to some degree. It’s not that I don’t eat the occasional sweet or chip, but I do manage for the vast majority of what I eat is not triggering old cravings or a slippery slope.

It probably depends a lot on what got you overweight to begin with and what triggers old patterns.